Apple's AR & VR headset will launch into a poorly defined market

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    snookiesnookie Posts: 139member
    Rhythmage said:
    I’m not interested in these products at all. 
    Nobody cares.
    macgui
  • Reply 22 of 25
    snookiesnookie Posts: 139member
    As of June over 15 Millions Quest headsets have been sold. Somebody is buying them.  They have a robust accessory and software market as well.  
  • Reply 23 of 25
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    sflagel said:
    I can’t see many use cases for VR in the personal area, maybe there is opportunity in the professional world. 
    But I am just an unemployed retiree sitting at my desk, so what do I know. 
    I'm no visionary and am in the same boat at a similar desk. It's a very light desk so as not to rock the boat. Not a gamer so computer generated wonder is low on my wish list. Give me travelog video of IMAX proportions and I'm happy. Let me fly through the Grand or Waimea Canyons. Or do a HALO jump, ski down Everest, or other first person travel and adventure. Put me behind the wheel of an F1 car or on a motorbike at Isle of Man TT. All in 4-8K immersive glory at 60+ fps. Movies and TV shows would be enhanced with good goggles as well. VR could be very entertaining but I have no interest at this time in AR.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    lkrupp said:
    Rhythmage said:
    I’m not interested in these products at all. 
    Me either. I know I’m an old fuddy-duddy but I just don’t see these devices catching on with the mass market. Yes, there will be limited market of gamers and such but wearing these in public will create all manner of negative social reactions, just like Google Glasses did. But we’ll see I guess.

There would need to be a compelling use case outside of gaming for these devices to become prevalent. I'm interested to see if Apple has such a use case that would make the masses desire a device like this.