Reference to xrOS found in Apple Devices for Windows app preview

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2023
Preview versions of Apple Music, Apple TV, and Apple Devices for Windows apps have been discovered in the Microsoft Store, and hidden in the code are references to Apple's upcoming mixed-reality operating system.

A render of a potential Apple headset [AppleInsider]
A render of a potential Apple headset [AppleInsider]

Apple is preparing to release a trio of Apple apps to Windows -- specifically Apple Music, Apple TV, and an app designed to manage Apple devices like iPhone. Traditionally, these features were handled by iTunes.

As MacRumors points out, the preview versions of these apps have recently appeared on the Microsoft Store, and it didn't take long for people to begin investigating the code.

Twitter user @aaronp613 has unearthed references to Apple's upcoming mixed-reality headset operating system in the code.

Also found references to xrOS pic.twitter.com/GkoTzRR5Up

-- Aaron (@aaronp613)

The code references both RealityOS and xrOS, which are the assumed names for Apple's upcoming operating systems that will power its mixed-reality headsets.

The yet-unnamed and long-rumored AR and VR headset is anticipated to debut in early to mid-2023, with sales expected to fall in the second half of the year.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    This tech seems very cool, but I’ll need to see a compelling use case before I dive in. AR stuff has been available for years now on iPhones and none of what I have seen has been more than a curiosity. 

The Apple-produced stuff is neat and high quality but I don’t feel a need to buy goggles/glasses to see the Apple logo floating on the air in front of me. Other stuff tends to be at the lower end of what I’d expect. There was a new Lamborghini (?) that had viewed “in my driveway” using AR. The model wasn’t close to realistic, the occlusion didn’t work very well, overall just a so-so experience. 

Granted, things tend to improve with time and I can see the potential for that, but I still don’t know why I would need/want it. 
    watto_cobra