Russia fines Apple $17.4 million for alleged antitrust issues

Posted:
in iPhone
Russia's competition regulator has fined Apple, say that its forcing of developers to use the App Store payment system is an abuse of the company's dominant position.

The Federal Antimonopoly Service (FAS) originally announced in July 2022 that it would be fining Apple. The regulator said that it had concluded Apple, "prohibits iOS app developers from telling clients inside the app about the possibility of paying for purchases outside the App Store or using alternative payment methods."

Now according to Reuters, following what it has described as a period of administrative investigation, FAS has levied a fine of $17.4 million on Apple.

The regulator also says that Apple must pay the fine within two months.

FAS previously fined Apple $12 million in 2020 concerning an alleged unfair advantage in the digital app economy. Apple was subsequently allowed to appeal the fine, though it's not yet known whether it will have the same opportunity with this latest one.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    A country whose existence is based on crime, slavery, and terrorism levying a fine for breaking "regulations." That's rich.
    DAalsethtmayappleinsideruserqwerty52iOS_Guy80watto_cobrared oakMacProAndy.Hardwakeboxcatcher
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Betcha Tim Apple’s losing tons of sleep over this …
    iOS_Guy80watto_cobraMacProFileMakerFellerjony0
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Maybe I'm missing something but didn't Apple stop selling in Russia?  So why would it pay a fine to a country it no longer does business in?  I know, I know: it may want to pay to make sure it'll be able to resume business once the Ukraine war is over - but that would put Apple into a pickle from a moral perspective.  It ostensibly stopped doing business in Russia because it thinks Russia's invasion of Ukraine is immoral/unjust and does not want to contribute to it.  Well, paying $17m would do just that.
    williamlondonqwerty52iOS_Guy80MacProAndy.Hardwakeboxcatcherjony0
  • Reply 4 of 14
    You'd think Russia wouldn't fine companies that pulled out. I'd assume Russia would try and win back those companies, not fine them. But what do I know about Russia. I assumed they'd be competent, but we're on month 11 of the special 3 day military operation so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Appleish said:
    A country whose existence is based on crime, slavery, and terrorism levying a fine for breaking "regulations." That's rich.
    You forgot crimes agains humanity and genocide. (Syria, Chechnya, Afghanistan,)
    But let’s be honest. One of the Oligarchs wants to replace his yacht and the Russian legal system is more than happy to oblige. 

The term is kleptocracy. 
    edited January 2023 qwerty52watto_cobraMacProjony0
  • Reply 6 of 14
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 261member
    Can we say "thinly veiled attempt at infusing the Russian economy with US dollars"? Good luck collecting on this one. Sanctions probably prevent it.
    qwerty52watto_cobraMacProjony0
  • Reply 7 of 14
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    For once, I'd like to see Tim Cook giving the Russian government the middle-finger.

Good luck collecting that fine Putin.  
    qwerty52rob53iOS_Guy80watto_cobraMacProAndy.Hardwakejony0
  • Reply 8 of 14
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member
    Russia is a 3rd world country.  With a 3rd world military.   These people are barbaric 

Part of me would love to send 10 F-35 fighter planes in and finish this war in a week 
    boxcatcherjony0
  • Reply 9 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Fining anything that's 'in a dominant position' over Russia must be a full time occupation.
    jony0
  • Reply 10 of 14
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    red oak said:
    Russia is a 3rd world country.  With a 3rd world military.   These people are barbaric 

Part of me would love to send 10 F-35 fighter planes in and finish this war in a week 
    That’s the attitude that got Russia to the 11th month of a one week “special operation” but you might be right. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    Perhaps Apple could end its payment system monopoly in Russia by allowing Russian ransomware gangs to collect payments. 
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Russia is a Terrorist Nation
    jony0
  • Reply 13 of 14
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    red oak said:
    No, the Russian PEOPLE are very nice. I’ve known a number over the years and they were for the most part warm and gracious. 
    They just have a horrible government.
    (And no, they have little to say about who is in power in Russia.)