Apple agrees to audit labor practices ahead of shareholders meeting

Posted:
in General Discussion
In an effort to appease investors, Apple will undergo a third-party assessment of its labor practices concerning workers' freedom and collective bargaining.

Apple Park
Apple Park

The news of the audit comes ahead of the 2023 annual shareholder's meeting on March 10.

According to a filing with the SEC spotted by The New York Times, Apple has said the assessment will focus on whether Apple is upholding its official human rights policy as it relates to "workers' freedom of association and collective bargaining rights in the United States."

As part of the agreement, Apple will hire a third-party firm to conduct the assessment.

Apple has been accused of undergoing anti-union tactics as employees at Apple stores push unionization efforts.

The National Labor Relations Board has evidence that Apple used anti-union tactics to try to stop unionization efforts, including interrogating and coercing employees.

In December, the Cupertino tech giant was accused of illegally creating a workgroup driven by managers to try to stop union organizing efforts.

In November, Apple Towson filed a labor complaint against the company for unfairly withholding health and education benefits from members.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Apple needs to cease all anti-union tactics of any kind if they have not yet already. These reports from last year of illegal union busting is an awful, disgusting look for Apple. I'm glad the shareholders are putting some pressure on them, hopefully this investigation indicates Apple's on the right path to stopping these behaviors that never should have been a thing to begin with. 
    anomeCluntBaby92FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Apple needs to cease all anti-union tactics of any kind if they have not yet already. These reports from last year of illegal union busting is an awful, disgusting look for Apple. I'm glad the shareholders are putting some pressure on them, hopefully this investigation indicates Apple's on the right path to stopping these behaviors that never should have been a thing to begin with. 
    Hold up there, hoss.

While I am generally pro-union and against anti-union activities, I don't think it's right to demand that Apple or any other company stops exercising its right to conduct business as it sees fit. We don't yet have clear evidence that Apple engaged in illegal activity, and by conducting an external party audit to examine the facts of the matter that part of the problem should be resolved. If Apple has been doing anything illegal, that can be adjusted following the release of the report; otherwise Apple is within its rights to continue - whether or not that course of action is in the best interests of the company.

As with a great many things about Apple, those of us outside the company have very little insight into what's going on. Without a clear story, people make assumptions that generally fit with their personal fears. So I'm glad that shareholders have pushed the company into conducting an audit, I hope the results will be made public and I'll do my best to withhold judgement until the facts are provided.