Any Apple AR headset user may be able to create and sell content

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2023
A generally reliable source claims that Apple is working on ways for Apple AR headset owners to use Siri to create new apps for them, without Xcode, and then sell their work to others.

Apple AR headset users may be able to create apps just using Siri
Apple AR headset users may be able to create apps just using Siri

The tools for creating Mac and iOS apps -- Xcode and Swift Playgrounds have always been made free and widely available in order to encourage developers. Now The Information claims that Apple is going further with its forthcoming headsets, and users will be able to just verbally instruct Siri to make new apps.

The publication says that this plan is based on further developing the work of Fabric Software. The report claims that Fabric Software is a Montreal company that Apple acquired in 2017.

Four unnamed sources who have reportedly worked on the as-yet unannounced headset, claim that the new tools are meant as much for consumers as for current developers. The idea is that a user could create a game with animated characters interacting with the real world, but not necessarily have to design those characters, or calculate their movements.

In this respect, it sounds less like Xcode, and more like Shortcuts. Apple's Shortcuts app lets users construct macros by selecting from pre-built commands to quickly get to what they need.

According to "The Information," once completed, it will be possible for a user to sell these self-made apps on the App Store.

That may be the major new step in app development, the ability to quickly sell creations instead -- perhaps -- of registering as an official developer.

The Information theorizes that Apple wants to get more people creating compelling apps and content for the headset, and so boost its use and popularity.

The theory makes sense. Apple ultimately took a similar approach with the App Store, and it allows just about anybody to publish on its assorted media stores, assuming some logistical loops get jumped through.

Even though Apple has not confirmed that it is working on any AR headsets, it's believed that it is preparing at least three models. What's less clear are debut dates.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    JP234 said:
    Here's what's behind these companies rushing these devices to market. Money, but not from selling headsets.

The headset itself is just a means to an end. That end being able to sell "targeted" advertising directly to a user's retinas, with no outside interference to give a person pause to think about what they're seeing as it relates to the real world around them. Combine it with advances in AI and the trend is inexorably toward mind control. Think not? Then just remember how easy it was to convince about half of America that a presidential election was stolen, even without the benefit of "augmented reality," or any evidence whatsoever.

Now imagine that scenario when the only thing the person sees is a larger than life depiction of some doomsday scenario, uninterrupted by real events occurring around them, beamed right into their temporal lobes. The chaos and mayhem to come from VR Twitter/Insta, AR Facebook, VR/AR FoxNews and MSNBC, VR Oathkeepers and Proud Boys… and those are just the domestic bad actors. Then there's hackers.

I'll keep my eyes open and unobscured by someone else's idea of information or entertainment, thanks.
    Ever watch the series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? One of the tactics in this futuristic, cyberpunk word that was used was to “hack their eyes”. That is to hack into their cybertronic eyes and show them not reality, but something to make them react in the way that Section 9 wanted them to. Whether it was to make them see one of the agents as one of the bad guys and let them in, or to not see them at all, or to get the gang members to see each other as a threat to get them to shoot each other before Section 9 went in.

So your scenario may sound hyperbolic, but I don’t think it’s completely unlikely. 
    JP234FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    JP234 said:
    DAalseth said:
    JP234 said:
    Here's what's behind these companies rushing these devices to market. Money, but not from selling headsets.

The headset itself is just a means to an end. That end being able to sell "targeted" advertising directly to a user's retinas, with no outside interference to give a person pause to think about what they're seeing as it relates to the real world around them. Combine it with advances in AI and the trend is inexorably toward mind control. Think not? Then just remember how easy it was to convince about half of America that a presidential election was stolen, even without the benefit of "augmented reality," or any evidence whatsoever.

Now imagine that scenario when the only thing the person sees is a larger than life depiction of some doomsday scenario, uninterrupted by real events occurring around them, beamed right into their temporal lobes. The chaos and mayhem to come from VR Twitter/Insta, AR Facebook, VR/AR FoxNews and MSNBC, VR Oathkeepers and Proud Boys… and those are just the domestic bad actors. Then there's hackers.

I'll keep my eyes open and unobscured by someone else's idea of information or entertainment, thanks.
    Ever watch the series Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? One of the tactics in this futuristic, cyberpunk word that was used was to “hack their eyes”. That is to hack into their cybertronic eyes and show them not reality, but something to make them react in the way that Section 9 wanted them to. Whether it was to make them see one of the agents as one of the bad guys and let them in, or to not see them at all, or to get the gang members to see each other as a threat to get them to shoot each other before Section 9 went in.

So your scenario may sound hyperbolic, but I don’t think it’s completely unlikely. 
    Thanks! But I consider my scenario far from hyperbolic or unlikely. I consider it inevitable. And I didn't even get into military scenarios.
    Perhaps I should have said hyperbolic TO SOME. Because I agree, it’s only a matter of time before the situation you described becomes a reality. 
    JP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    This sounds bonkers to me. If creating an app with Siri is possible and easy enough that someone can do it without learning how to code, how on earth would it be valuable enough for another person to pay for it rather than recreate it themselves? Maybe the time invested is too much for some people, but we've already seen that consumers very rarely pay for software - the most viable way to make money as a developer is to set up a subscription service and give the app away for zero upfront cost. The cost of managing subscriptions might outweigh the revenue generated long past the point at which the casual developer continues to be interested.

If all you're doing is assembling components, someone else can do it faster and cheaper - you don't have a business model.
    macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    DAalseth said:
    JP234 said:

Ever watch "Futurama", where in the future, they can "hack" into your dreams to place ads?

or how about the new future "eye-Phone"

Here's Futurama version the internet using a head set. 

And of course Futurama version of Apple 1984 ad. 

edited January 2023 JP234watto_cobraDAalsethRadio_Signal
  • Reply 5 of 11
    HyperCard is back baby!
    watto_cobraDAalseth
  • Reply 6 of 11
    One of the most slept-on movies I’ve seen was Strange Days. 

And some of these theories are verrry familiar. 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Wow sounds exciting

i wasn’t planning on getting one for after this, I might

• Reply 8 of 11
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    This sounds bonkers to me. If creating an app with Siri is possible and easy enough that someone can do it without learning how to code, how on earth would it be valuable enough for another person to pay for it rather than recreate it themselves? Maybe the time invested is too much for some people, but we've already seen that consumers very rarely pay for software - the most viable way to make money as a developer is to set up a subscription service and give the app away for zero upfront cost. The cost of managing subscriptions might outweigh the revenue generated long past the point at which the casual developer continues to be interested.

If all you're doing is assembling components, someone else can do it faster and cheaper - you don't have a business model.
    We will find out. This could be a game changer. 

Also just because it’s easy to do, doesn’t mean one is creative enough to do it
  • Reply 9 of 11
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    Maybe before Siri can create Apps, it could pronounce the street names in my area correctly. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Sounds like Dreams on PSVR, but "hands free".

edited February 2023