Nothing Phone will attempt to crack US market in 2023

Posted:
in General Discussion
A new report confirms that the upcoming Phone (2) from Nothing will enter the US market in 2023, a significant change in marketing versus the company's previous smartphone.

Nothing Phone (1)
Nothing Phone (1)

The company's Phone (1) launched in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East, in July 2022, but not in the US or Canada without a limited beta membership. Nothing CEO Carl Pei said a US launch requires a lot of technical support to support the carriers and their software requirements, and the company felt it wasn't ready for that.

But according to a report on Monday from Inverse, that will change with the Nothing Phone (2).

"We decided to make the US our No. 1 priority in terms of markets," Pei said. "We couldn't do it earlier because we were only in our second year and our hands were tied building the team as we were building the products. Now as we're on a more solid footing, we can take a step forward."

Pei says that Nothing doubled in size last year, growing from 200 people in 2021 to 400, and now has the resources to enter the US market.

"When you make a smartphone for the US you need to work with the carriers on certification and adapting some of their features into your OS," he said. "We didn't have the resources for that before and now we do."

The company also hopes to entice "quite bored and indifferent" consumers who may want more variety in the smartphone market. Pei believes Nothing can bring unique hardware, competitive pricing, and competition to iOS.

In the future, Pei believes that Nothing will "have a serious think about this problem [of iOS dominance] and how we tackle it." At some point, "it's going to create a ceiling to our growth."

He also teased that the Phone (2) will be more premium than its predecessor and that software will be a big focus area for Nothing. The hint may mean that the company plans to compete with high-end smartphones such as the iPhone 14 Pro.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    To be fair to the Nothing Phone (1), I haven’t held one/used one directly. Maybe it’s amazing.

Looking at the spec sheet, however, suggests that it is a midrange Android phone priced more like a premium phone, with an underpowered chip BUT it also has customizable blinky lights on the back (so nothing but a clear case, presumably) and a super-pretentious name.

Competition is good, so more competition is better, but … I think Samsung has a lot more to fear from Nothing than Apple does, since this seems more likely to steal sales from the former rather than the latter.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobraFileMakerFellerJP234
  • Reply 2 of 4
    As @JP234 said, so far I've seen nothing that would entice me away from Apple, and I'm not even as heavily invested as some who post on these forums seem to be.
    FileMakerFellerJP234
  • Reply 3 of 4
    "It's nothing, you don't need it, and we'll have it in six months"