China could 'weaponize' TikTok, so another Senator calls for ban

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2023
Colorado Senator Michael Bennet has asked Apple and Google to immediately ban TikTok from the App Store over national security concerns.

TikTok on a smartphone
TikTok on a smartphone

Bennet, a Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee, wrote to Apple and Google on Thursday, according to the New York Times.

His letter says that no firm that is subject to "Chinese Communist Party dictates should have the power to accumulate such extensive data on the American people or curate content to nearly a third of our population."

Speaking to the New York Times, he added that he believes "It's irresponsible for us to make it available the way we have, and I hope that Apple and Google will take this as an opportunity to lead in this debate."

The complete text of the letter is not yet available, and Senator Bennet's own social media and websites make no mention of it at time of writing.

However, excerpts have been seen by sources including Colorado Public Radio. Its report quotes Bennet as writing that the Chinese Communist Party could weaponize TikTok against the United States."

Forbes magazine reports that Bennet has been asked why he has written to Apple and Google rather than support Senate and House colleagues already seeking to ban TikTok.

"Congress' responsibility is to present a long term solution for oversight of big tech -- like Sen. Bennet's Digital Platform Commission Act -- so that we aren't addressing this in an ad hoc way," a spokesperson for Senator Bennet responded. "Until that happens, Google and Apple should remove TikTok from the App Stores."

In December 2022, the House of Representatives banned staff use of TikTok, and ordered that the app be uninstalled from iPhones, iPads, and Android devices.

Separately, FCC commissioner Brendan Carr has said that he believes a ban on TikTok in the United States is inevitable, although the FCC itself has no authority to regulate the social media service.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    You think it’s a bad thing, then pass a law and ban it. Don’t demand Apple and Google do it for you. That is YOUR job after all. 
    qwerty52hydrogenjeffharrisfred1dewmedanoxlolliverrobin huberFileMakerFellerdope_ahmine
  • Reply 2 of 25
    DAalseth said:
    You think it’s a bad thing, then pass a law and ban it. Don’t demand Apple and Google do it for you. That is YOUR job after all. 

Absolutely right! 

Senator Bennet is pushing the hot potato away in someone else hands

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    The irony just hit me.
    At the same time they are demanding Apple ban this or that app.
    They are also pushing Apple open up its devices to other stores. If the latter happened, then Apple could not prevent TicToc, or any other app the government thinks is dangerous from being loaded by anyone. People could download apps from China, North Korea, Russia, anywhere, and nobody could prevent it. 
    edited February 2023 designrdewmehydrogenlkruppstompyDooofuslolliverappleinsideruserrobin huberJaiOh81
  • Reply 4 of 25
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    Most of what springs from the minds of US senators on technology is utter nonsense.

How exactly is this 'data' supposed to be weaponised? 
    designrdewmeDAalsethmuthuk_vanalingamDooofusFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 5 of 25
    avon b7 said:
    Most of what springs from the minds of US senators on technology is utter nonsense.

Well I suppose they could save the video of a teenager doing something stupid, and then forty years later when they are a Senator, try and blackmail them with it.
    lolliverFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    Proclamations are cheap. Taking action costs real money.

Personally, if I was laser focused on reducing the potential attack surface from potential "foreign threats" I'd be insisting on deep dive code reviews of the firmware that is burned into every connected product that enters the country. These inspections need to be performed at the source, but also at post-production stage, and at various points in the shipping processes. I'm not suggesting that it's time don the tinfoil hats, but any product with field-upgradable firmware can be intercepted and modified at any point along its journey to its final destination.

Hopefully, as a minimum, every newly commissioned connected product should phone home to verify that the factory signed firmware has not not been tampered with since it was burned into the product during manufacturing or during a sanctioned firmware update from the manufacturer, in the same way that signed software is verified.

Anecdotally, there is speculation that in-transit tampering of this kind has occurred on outbound products so it's safe to assume that it's also occurring on incoming products as well. Tamper detection or prevention done at the packaging level is trivial to circumvent.
    dope_ahminewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Language is weapon.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    dewme said:
    Proclamations are cheap. Taking action costs real money.

Personally, if I was laser focused on reducing the potential attack surface from potential "foreign threats" I'd be insisting on deep dive code reviews of the firmware that is burned into every connected product that enters the country. These inspections need to be performed at the source, but also at post-production stage, and at various points in the shipping processes. I'm not suggesting that it's time don the tinfoil hats, but any product with field-upgradable firmware can be intercepted and modified at any point along its journey to its final destination.

Hopefully, as a minimum, every newly commissioned connected product should phone home to verify that the factory signed firmware has not not been tampered with since it was burned into the product during manufacturing or during a sanctioned firmware update from the manufacturer, in the same way that signed software is verified.

Anecdotally, there is speculation that in-transit tampering of this kind has occurred on outbound products so it's safe to assume that it's also occurring on incoming products as well. Tamper detection or prevention done at the packaging level is trivial to circumvent.
    Cisco famously comes to mind. 

Firmware is notorious for serving as a nice place to hide for nasty payloads. I believe an Apple Bluetooth keyboard was once tested as a means of attack. 

Thankfully, at least with modern IoT, I believe that firmware checks are part of security protocols. 

However, I'm sure smart TVs with OTA capability, internet connected large home appliances etc aren't getting the same checks. 
  • Reply 9 of 25
    DAalseth said:
    The irony just hit me.
    At the same time they are demanding Apple ban this or that app.
    They are also pushing Apple open up its devices to other stores. If the latter happened, then Apple could not prevent TicToc, or any other app the government thinks is dangerous from being loaded by anyone. People could download apps from China, North Korea, Russia, anywhere, and nobody could prevent it. 
    Brilliant comment !
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    DAalseth said:
    avon b7 said:

Well I suppose they could save the video of a teenager doing something stupid, and then forty years later when they are a Senator, try and blackmail them with it.
    Ah! The internet age. All our immature, bad or just plain crazy decisions will be there to haunt us for ever more. I'm glad I missed that. 

Although, I'm pretty sure there will be a fair few senators doing worse things in their fifties than in their teens. ;-) 

muthuk_vanalingamJaiOh81FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 11 of 25
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,799member
    Rhythmage said:
    It’s already weaponized. 
    TikTok is weaponized like Smithfield, Farmer John or Nathan’s hotdogs? Americans and Brits are for sale at any price. It’s too late. Don’t worry Be happy…..

At least the Brits have single payer, but if it’s up to the Tories and their austerity program, they won’t even have that. TikTok.

Isn’t it more insidious for the Chinese to own American food protection companies, feedlots, and American farmland? Hypocrisy?

The upper crust across the world seem to be getting theirs and living the life of Riley behind the scenes, and it appears that everything is doggy dog in the end. They seem to get theirs no matter what, but the rest of the world below a certain level have to put up with the leftovers. If any dare raise their head above the parapet and try to fight for more, they get labeled a communist a red a union sympathizer get a nasty note or are beaten over the head by the Pinkerton's. Hmm…..

If you haven’t figured it out, you’re on your own it’s you against the world. The only thing that has changed is that the face of the boss may not be Anglo but Chinese. TikTok… :smile: 

edited February 2023 Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,118member
    DAalseth said:
    Especially since it benefits Google/Alphabet/Youtube.

YouTube has apparently started reducing payments (one Content creator I follow has lost about 40% of their revenue) for full length videos, and raising payments on the shorts. Appears to be to compete with TikTok's popularity.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    Another politically "hot button" article under which comments are finally allowed.  Great work keeping the liberty going, AppleInsider!

Now, as to China gather info on "Americans," it should be understood that those Americans are not EVERY American, but instead younger people who throw caution to the wind for the sake of people popular.  I don't use TikTok and have zero intention of ever using it.  Heck, I don't use Twitter but once in a blue moon to enter a contest, although I do use FaceBook.  I also have a YouTube channel.  I don't use Instagram because I prefer Flickr.  And the list goes on. I doubt I am alone.  So it's not like the entire USA is moving to TikTok.  But let's say most Americans will eventually contract the same Brain Cloud as the younger generation and start the silly TikTok addiction.  Well, it's their choice.  It's like drinking alcohol.  I personally don't drink the horrid stuff but many do, and we know how the prohibition went in the past, right?  Ditto for smoking.  It's a stupid thing to do and it's even worse than alcohol because it is sadly breathed in by people around you, yet tobacco isn't banned completely.

So basically we have the US government stepping in and saying, "Americans are stupid because they use TikTok, and we must forcefully help them avoid the consequences of that stupidity."  Big Brother then tries to strong-arm US companies like Google and Apple into doing its bidding, which is in and of itself "weaponization."

I'm no fan of TikTok, alcohol or smoking, but I dare say it has series implications on individual liberty when you take the iron fist of government to step in and stop people from engaging in those stupid addictions.  While it may be an exercise in futility in light of how human beings love their awful addictions, we still need to preach the merits of not using TikTok, not getting ourselves drunk, and not smoking cancer sticks, for the good of ourselves and others around us.  We can do that without any new laws, regulations or punishments for non-compliance to the dictations of Uncle Sam.
    FileMakerFellermuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    jdw said:
    Another politically "hot button" article under which comments are finally allowed.  Great work keeping the liberty going, AppleInsider!

Now, as to China gather info on "Americans," it should be understood that those Americans are not EVERY American, but instead younger people who throw caution to the wind for the sake of people popular.  I don't use TikTok and have zero intention of ever using it.  Heck, I don't use Twitter but once in a blue moon to enter a contest, although I do use FaceBook.  I also have a YouTube channel.  I don't use Instagram because I prefer Flickr.  And the list goes on. I doubt I am alone.  So it's not like the entire USA is moving to TikTok.  But let's say most Americans will eventually contract the same Brain Cloud as the younger generation and start the silly TikTok addiction.  Well, it's their choice.  It's like drinking alcohol.  I personally don't drink the horrid stuff but many do, and we know how the prohibition went in the past, right?  Ditto for smoking.  It's a stupid thing to do and it's even worse than alcohol because it is sadly breathed in by people around you, yet tobacco isn't banned completely.

So basically we have the US government stepping in and saying, "Americans are stupid because they use TikTok, and we must forcefully help them avoid the consequences of that stupidity."  Big Brother then tries to strong-arm US companies like Google and Apple into doing its bidding, which is in and of itself "weaponization."

I'm no fan of TikTok, alcohol or smoking, but I dare say it has series implications on individual liberty when you take the iron fist of government to step in and stop people from engaging in those stupid addictions.  While it may be an exercise in futility in light of how human beings love their awful addictions, we still need to preach the merits of not using TikTok, not getting ourselves drunk, and not smoking cancer sticks, for the good of ourselves and others around us.  We can do that without any new laws, regulations or punishments for non-compliance to the dictations of Uncle Sam.
    Where is the truth? Truth are based on facts. Politics don't care about facts. It only  use convoluted logic to get preset conclusion. 

Any young American got hurt by TikTok? If there is a single confirmed case then it is enough to outlaw TikTok. I heard none. So most of the talks are bs. On the other hand, if the political leaders are so smart can they explain why there are so many murder victims? Democrats solution is gun control. Does gun control remove the hatred of the killers? They know it can't because they are advocating hatred themselves using imagination in their heart. Hatred is a culture built in Western culture. What caused the hatred? In the West most of the hatred are due to self interest. And the personal freedom allowed and exaggerated self interest making it legitimate. 
    FileMakerFellerappleexpatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    jdw said:

Any young American got hurt by TikTok? If there is a single confirmed case then it is enough to outlaw TikTok. 
    The Blackout challenge
    Benadryl challenge
    Skull breaker challenge
    Fire challenge
    Cha Cha slide challenge 
    Penny challenge 

just to name a few. Also, causing a continual shortening of the attention span of kids is pretty well documented. 
    CluntBaby92jdwwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    hexclock said:
    jdw said:

Any young American got hurt by TikTok? If there is a single confirmed case then it is enough to outlaw TikTok. 
    The Blackout challenge
    Benadryl challenge
    Skull breaker challenge
    Fire challenge
    Cha Cha slide challenge 
    Penny challenge 

just to name a few. Also, causing a continual shortening of the attention span of kids is pretty well documented. 
    Really? Can you show the lawsuits? 
  • Reply 17 of 25
    Whether it’s controlled by the CCP or not, it’s time wasting brain rot. Social media could have been force for good: educational, informative, promoting good will and understanding. Instead, we’ve turned it into a sewer of misinformation, disinformation, hatred, and drivel. Ban it for that. 
    edited February 2023 CluntBaby92jdwwatto_cobratht
  • Reply 18 of 25
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    hexclock said:
    jdw said:

The Blackout challenge
    Benadryl challenge
    Skull breaker challenge
    Fire challenge
    Cha Cha slide challenge 
    Penny challenge 

Not sure where you’re from; don’t really care. But where I live, I’m still free to pick up a newspaper and read it. Do your own research or go away. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Whether it’s controlled by the CCP or not, it’s time wasting brain rot. Social media could have been force for good: educational, informative, promoting good will and understanding. Instead, we’ve turned it into a sewer of misinformation, disinformation, hatred, and drivel. Ban it for that. 
    One of the original arguments for television was the ability to enhance education. What did the majority of the population want from it? We've seen the result. Why would social media be any different?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    hexclock said:
    hexclock said:
    jdw said:

The Blackout challenge
    Benadryl challenge
    Skull breaker challenge
    Fire challenge
    Cha Cha slide challenge 
    Penny challenge 

Not sure where you’re from; don’t really care. But where I live, I’m still free to pick up a newspaper and read it. Do your own research or go away. 
    There are a sea of newspapers. There is no way you can get the truth from them because many of them are distorting and exaggerating or simply lying.