Mac is less popular among Apple customers than iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch

Posted:
in iPhone
While the iPhone continues to be Apple's most popular product, the Mac sits in fourth place, after both iPad and Apple Watch.

The iPhone is popular with Apple customers
The iPhone is popular with Apple customers

The latest analysis from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP) examines product ownership among Apple customers and which categories are dominant. For example, almost 90% of Apple customers own an iPhone, while the iPad follows at 73% in second place.

Apple Watch ownership comes in third at 58%, beating the Mac sitting at 50%.

Most Apple customers also own more than one of Apple's main products. This is an unsurprising data point given the strength of Apple's ecosystem in which hardware, software, and services work seamlessly together.

Among the Apple customers who only own one of these devices, the iPhone dominates at 59%, with the iPad and Mac trailing in second and third place, respectively. In the category of single-device ownership, the Apple Watch isn't found because it still relies on an iPhone for specific functions.

Almost 90% of Apple customers own an iPhone, while the iPad follows at 73% in second place. Source: CIRP
Almost 90% of Apple customers own an iPhone, while the iPad follows at 73% in second place. Source: CIRP

Most Apple customers own four products, and CIRP cites the power of the ecosystem and cross-selling as strategies that work for Apple.

"iMessage crosses seamlessly between phones and computers," the report says. "iCloud storage provides backup and file sharing across devices. Apple Music is easily accessible on all devices."

Apple's latest earnings report backs up the data, revealing that the iPhone brought in $65.78 billion in revenue in the first quarter of 2023. Revenue from the iPad at $9.4 billion beat the Mac, which accounted for $7.74 billion.

The company doesn't break out numbers for the Apple Watch. However, Apple's Wearables, Home, and Accessories category reached $13.48 billion. Apple hauled in $117.15 billion in total for revenue.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Between my wife and I, we have 2 iPhones, 2 watches, 2 Airpod Pros, an Apple TV 4k, and I have 2 Homepod Minis in my office.  The only thing we don't have are Macs and that is simply because they are, to us, too expensive for what you get.  My Dell PC with the same performance and specs as a Macbook Pro is less than 1/2 the cost.  I simply cannot justify the extra money for the same performance.  I have used a Macbook Pro in the past when supplied by my company, and loved it.  If Apple would just come down on their pricing for the Macbook Pro, we'd jump in a heartbeat.
    iOS_Guy80ravnorodomwatto_cobragrandact73
  • Reply 2 of 32
    omasouomasou Posts: 557member
    Surprise one device Apple owners own an iPhone.

That doesn't make the Mac less popular. It just means Windows owners own iPhones.

The title should read iPhone most popular Apple product among one device Apple owners.
    edited February 2023 coolfactorwaveparticlejeffharrisappleinsideruserp-dogFidonet127baconstangwilliamlondonFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 32
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,230member
    omasou said:

That doesn't make the Mac less popular. It just means Windows owners own iPhones.

Yes, I know many Windows-loving users that switched to iPhone, but can't yet see how macOS is a better operating system. They are comfortable in their domain. A fish doesn't know it's in water until it jumps out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 32
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Many of us grew up using Windows so switching to MACs is not easy. One simple observation is If there is a simple way to have Windows type File Explorer UI on MacOS then easier to migrate from Windows to MacOS.
    ravnorodomwilliamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 32
    My ten years old grandson uses a mouse with his Chrome laptop instead of the builtin trackpad. Mouse is faster and more precise in pointing than the trackpad. 
  • Reply 6 of 32
    goofy1958 said:
    Between my wife and I, we have 2 iPhones, 2 watches, 2 Airpod Pros, an Apple TV 4k, and I have 2 Homepod Minis in my office.  The only thing we don't have are Macs and that is simply because they are, to us, too expensive for what you get.  My Dell PC with the same performance and specs as a Macbook Pro is less than 1/2 the cost.  I simply cannot justify the extra money for the same performance.  I have used a Macbook Pro in the past when supplied by my company, and loved it.  If Apple would just come down on their pricing for the Macbook Pro, we'd jump in a heartbeat.
    Everyone's needs are different and clearly that mix works for you...

BUT, that is the exact same argument/justification/rationalization made for buying an Android - it's cheaper for the same or similar specs.

"Buying on the cheap is a false economy." - from "Local Hero"

ROI is a bigger determiner for me. Compare the life of the products. We've had a mix in our homes for a few decades now. Our experience shows us (YMMD) that non-Apple products go south sooner, and have more troubles from day 1. While there's often (though not always) a higher upfront cost for Macs v non-Macs, their lifespan is longer and there are far fewer headaches with them. 

"You're either on the bus, or off the bus." - Ken Kesey

Most people do go with whatever minimal threshold it is that meets their requirements. It's why it's called the Lowest Common Denominator. It's why Microsoft sells more software, Dell sells more computers, and McDonalds sells more burgers.

"It's not just good, it's good enough!" - Krusty the Clown for Krustyburgers

And to repeat, everyone's needs are different. YMMD. 
    lolliverp-dogbaconstangbloggerblogFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 32
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,316member
    I'm proud to say I started out with the Macintosh in 1984 when I was 13, and I have never purchased a Windoze machine for personal use.  Not a single one!  Once you've started with the best, you can't opt for the rest.  And as to price, sorry, but you get what you pay for.  Windoze machines are cheaper for good reason.  The Mac experience is simply better, both in terms of hardware and software.  And yet, the Mac still is quite affordable, even today.  Consider what you get with an M2 MacBook Air, for example.  So it cannot be said the Mac is the super expensive BMW or Mercedes of computers.  It still is the computer "for the rest of us."
    danoxrezwitsjeffharrisp-dogravnorodomilarynxbaconstangbloggerblogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 32
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,757member
    goofy1958 said:
    Wow, that’s a lotta Apple devices, I only have a Mac, iPad, Apple hi-fi and a iPhone, I don’t think Apple is going to be coming down on their prices, but the new Mac mini has a great price, but if you’re using software on your Dell PC that isn’t available on the Mac then you can’t switch.
    muthuk_vanalingambloggerblogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 32
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,757member
    wood1208 said:
    Many of us grew up using Windows so switching to MACs is not easy. One simple observation is If there is a simple way to have Windows type File Explorer UI on MacOS then easier to migrate from Windows to MacOS.
    For most, it’s scary particularly when they see that Microsoft Windows is larger market bigger is better right?, the same idea applies in investing even to this day people find it hard to buy a few shares of Apple as opposed to Microsoft it’s very hard.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Got my first 512K Mac in early 1985. All Mac, Mac Only ever since. 

My wife and I have 2 15" MacBook Pros, 2 iPhones (13 Pro & 14 Pro Max), 2 iPad Pro 11", 2 Apple Pencils, 2 Apple TV 4K, 2 AirPod Pro.
    She uses a crappy Dell laptop supplied by her job.

It makes sense that lower priced Apple devices sell more than Macs. Jeeze, big surprise, eh?
    But, buy a Windows PC? No way! EVER!
    lkruppp-dogravnorodomjdwbaconstangbloggerblogFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 32
    @goofy1958 This is the quintessential argument made about Mac vs PC. The thing you don't realize is the spend you have to make for all the additional software and utilities you need to bring your PC up to the level of what's provided with a Mac. 
    PC-Requires Office software (trials only on most systems sold), Endpoint AV (unless you want to use Defender), Multimedia software (no Movie, Photos, GarageBand, etc), and no integration with your other devices like Continuity Features (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681). By the time you add up all the extra software you have to add for that bargain PC, you end up spending what you would spend on a decent Mac. PC's look cheaper, but you end up spending more. 
    lkrupplolliverjeffharrisp-dogbaconstangbloggerblogwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Isn’t this true because a family of four can own four iPhones and one Mac? 
    lolliveriOS_Guy80baconstangbloggerblogFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 32
    Isn’t this true because a family of four can own four iPhones and one Mac? 
    That's the case for our family of 5. We have had several Mac laptops over the years but currently just have the one MacBook Air (the last Intel version). But we also have 2 Apple watches, 2 iPhones, 4 iPads, 2 Apple Tv's, 5 Homepod Mini's and on OG HomePod. 
    bloggerblogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Apple has over a billion customers. No way that 50% owns a Mac. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 32
    goofy1958 said:
    I call BS on that.  What's the Dell display specs vs. Apple equivalent - resolution, PPI, color gamut, brightness, etc.?  What's the battery life on the Dell vs. MacBook (Air/Pro)? What's the storage speed comparison?  Weight?

I justified a MacBook Pro at my employer by custom spec'ing a Dell, with as close as possible specs as the MacBook Pro.  I couldn't get battery or display on the Dell to be as good as the MacBook Pro, and the two systems were within $100 of each other.
    edited February 2023 jeffharrisp-doglolliverilarynxbaconstangfreeassociate2bloggerblogFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 32
    omasou said:

Yes, I know many Windows-loving users that switched to iPhone, but can't yet see how macOS is a better operating system. They are comfortable in their domain. A fish doesn't know it's in water until it jumps out.
    Permit me to say that macOS is great ... until you need or even want software that isn't available on it. Happens quite a bit. So much so that tons of ardent Apple fans ran bootcamp, virtual machines or even just gave in and bought a cheap Windows laptop. 
  • Reply 17 of 32
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,396member
    omasou said:

I own Apple and Windows devices, and work with both of them in a daily basis.  I don't think macOS is better or worse than Windows.  There are some areas where Windows does better and others where macOS is ahead.  At the end, it just a matter of preference.
    ravnorodomUngerechtTRAG
  • Reply 18 of 32
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,117member
    goofy1958 said:
    Variation on that point. A family may have multiple phones, watches, etc like you do, but may only have one home Mac they share.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 32
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,396member
    brainee50 said:
    @goofy1958 This is the quintessential argument made about Mac vs PC. The thing you don't realize is the spend you have to make for all the additional software and utilities you need to bring your PC up to the level of what's provided with a Mac. 
    PC-Requires Office software (trials only on most systems sold), Endpoint AV (unless you want to use Defender), Multimedia software (no Movie, Photos, GarageBand, etc), and no integration with your other devices like Continuity Features (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681). By the time you add up all the extra software you have to add for that bargain PC, you end up spending what you would spend on a decent Mac. PC's look cheaper, but you end up spending more. 
    If you want MS Office, you need to pay.  Or you can go with MS Office Online that is free.
    Personally I use Defender, no need for 3rd party AV. 
    Windows 11 includes a Photo app and Clipchamp for photo and video editing. 
    Windows may not integrate well with macOS, but it works very good with Android (at least from what I have heard).  
    Ungerecht
  • Reply 20 of 32
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    Xavalon said:
    Apple has over a billion customers. No way that 50% owns a Mac. 
    Apple has even said as much:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/10/30/apple-passes-100m-active-mac-milestone-thanks-to-high-numbers-of-new-users
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/27/22253162/iphone-users-total-number-billion-apple-tim-cook-q1-2021

The surveys normally target users in the US where Mac ownership is higher but it's very flawed to make it a general statement, especially when Apple puts out active user numbers now and then. Kids are likely to have iPhones and not Macs and won't be surveyed.

Apple currently has 2 billion active devices but this includes everything like Apple Watch, Apple TV.

If we assume 50% new users in each segment, iPhone should be around 1.3 billion, Macs around 175 million, iPads ship roughly 2x Mac so around 300 million. This leaves 200 million for the others.

The figure of 90% Apple customers owning an iPhone is viable because it's likely a lot will own some of the other products but if 1.3b = 90%, Mac ownership is closer to 15%, iPad 30%. Apple Watch is estimated between Mac and iPad.
    muthuk_vanalingamjdwbaconstangUngerechtFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra