Russia spied on blair and gave the intel to Saddam

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Good God.

"Top secret documents obtained by The Telegraph in Baghdad show that Russia provided Saddam Hussein's regime with wide-ranging assistance in the months leading up to the war, including intelligence on private conversations between Tony Blair and other Western leaders."

Shock and Awe

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Zionist lies.
  • Reply 2 of 80
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Mossad plot
  • Reply 3 of 80
    Having read it now ...

This is shocking. I hope it's not true. Very bad news.
  • Reply 4 of 80
    How much did Karl Rove pay them to run this story?
  • Reply 5 of 80
    This could sadly enough very much be true

But (I wouldn´t be your euro-commie scum if there weren´t a "but" would I?):

- When the article says "Moscow" I think the more correct term is "corrupt parts of the Russian Intelligent Agency". I don´t think Putin is all that great but I don´t think he (or anybody else in the government) would be stupid enough to do such a thing.

- I need neutral confirmation on this. Remember Powells "proofs" in the UN? Especially about the chemical facilities that wasn´t even in Baghdad controlled areas? The war is not over yet and that includes the information war.
  • Reply 6 of 80
    Gave Saddam the Intel? I guess we know why they lost so pathetically.
  • Reply 7 of 80
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Agree with Anders--this would be monumentally stupid of Putin, and really isn't his style to do something that ham-fisted.
  • Reply 8 of 80
    Putin is either in control and allowed this OR he's not and Russia has a major problem with its people on its hands. If it's true and Putin didn't know they they have traitors on their hands.
  • Reply 9 of 80
    Quote:

- I need neutral confirmation on this. Remember Powells "proofs" in the UN? Especially about the chemical facilities that wasn´t even in Baghdad controlled areas? The war is not over yet and that includes the information war.

I have no idea if this is true, but do you think the UK Telegraph is on the same level of Powell with regard to what they would have to gain from such fabrication?
  • Reply 10 of 80
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    " - When the article says "Moscow" I think the more correct term is "corrupt parts of the Russian Intelligent Agency". I don´t think Putin is all that great but I don´t think he (or anybody else in the government) would be stupid enough to do such a thing."

I hope he wouldn't be either.
  • Reply 11 of 80
    Am I just complacent or is there very little, if anything, shocking or awesome about this information?

The head of Iraqi intelligence sent the head of the KGB a christmas card.

And...?

What am I missing?
  • Reply 12 of 80
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Spying...part of international relations. If Russia wanted to Help Saddam, fine, they will answer for it with their relations with other countries.

What makes me laugh is the unbelieveable hypocrisy of people on this boards, especially the anti-american crowd. Go back and read the threads dealing with possible US/UK espionage during the lead up to the war in Iraq. They painted as the greatest threat to world democracy because they sought information to take to negotiations. Russia supplies intel to Iraq, a country under sanction and reviled the world over, and the liberal, anti-american crowd, says 'so what'. Oh, I forgot, it's not anti-american, it's just holding them to a higher standard.
  • Reply 13 of 80
    Since I´m probably part of the "anti-war" crowd I´m dying to have these question answered:

1) In which threads did we say anything about spinage against iraq was wrong? The only thing I remember "we" said was it was wrong not to share the information obtained with UN. And possibly the falsification of the information put forward in UN. And of course the possible use of UN weapon inspectors as spies but that was many years ago.

2) Who was trying to neglect this if it turns out to be true? Not me. I am no friend of Russia so if Putin is responsible I hope it will have consequences for him. If not that it will have consequences for those who are.

Strawman again
  • Reply 14 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Since I´m probably part of the "anti-war" crowd I´m dying to have these question answered:

1) In which threads did we say anything about spinage against iraq was wrong? The only thing I remember "we" said was it was wrong not to share the information obtained with UN. And possibly the falsification of the information put forward in UN. And of course the possible use of UN weapon inspectors as spies but that was many years ago.

2) Who was trying to neglect this if it turns out to be true? Not me. I am no friend of Russia so if Putin is responsible I hope it will have consequences for him. If not that it will have consequences for those who are.

Strawman again

I was referring to the possible espionage by the US/UK on EU members leading up to the last resolution (that never came). Obviously, no one complained about spying on Iraq. But, if the US/UK got involved in spying on other nations, oh boy, watch out. It's not a strawman to say that more than one person had much to say against the US/UK for the possibility that they were spying on 'allies'. But, Russi supplies sensitive intel to Iraq, gives details on western leaders discussions and supplies names of assasins for possible attacks against western leaders and there is a great sucking sound from the lack of comments against it, other than by the local 'conservatives'.

Like I said, to me, it's just part of international relations. You suffer the consequences when you get found out. But, it seems many here are only willing to jump all over the US/UK for this sort of thing, but willing to ignore or accept it from others.
  • Reply 15 of 80
    Did anyone accept it from Russia (beside you)?

I don´t see it.

That alone make it a strawman.
  • Reply 16 of 80
    You: Accept spionage from everybody as part of the international game.

"We": Don´t accept it.

Its hard for me to see the difference.
  • Reply 17 of 80
    Quote:

You: Accept spionage from everybody as part of the international game.

"We": Don´t accept it.

Its hard for me to see the difference.

Let me explain it to you again. While you may not accept it from anyone, other that you, I have not noticed a flood of the usual US-bashers come on and condemn Russia for this. There was no shortage of people bashing the US/UK over the UN intelligence gathering incident. So, while 'you' don't accept it, 'you' seem much more complacent when it is not the US/UN doing it. (I don't mean you personally, as you have stated you position....seems to be a vacuum of comments from other liberal types.) In short, i was only commenting on the seeming imbalance in what is commented on by some people. If it can possibly put the US in a bad light, hey, jump all over it and get those comments in. If it only makes other looks bad, then it's ok and not worth commenting on.
  • Reply 18 of 80
    So you base your view on the absence of comments

Silence is not acceptence. It could be that most "liberal" types think that they have nothing to say that haven´t already been said (avoiding the "me too"-syndrome).

Or perhaps most "liberal" types are european and are enjoying the fine sunday weather here in europe (while others have to sit here and do their exams )
  • Reply 19 of 80
    Quote:

So you base your view on the absence of comments

Silence is not acceptence. It could be that most "liberal" types think that they have nothing to say that haven´t already been said (avoiding the "me too"-syndrome).

Or perhaps most "liberal" types are european and are enjoying the fine sunday weather here in europe (while others have to sit here and do their exams )

Um, yeah. My point was the absense of comments on this, yet no shortage of comments when it's the US.
  • Reply 20 of 80
    Well then I would say your argument wouldn´t hold up in the court.

Absence of comments is not the same as acceptance of action.