Studio Display with mini LED not launching anytime soon

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Previous rumors pointed to a spring 2023 update for the Studio Display with mini LED since the original's launch -- but a reliable leaker says that isn't going to happen.

Studio Display launched in March 2023 with a 5K LED display
Studio Display launched in March 2023 with a 5K LED display

The Studio Display was announced on March 8, 2022, as a 5K display more affordable than the high-end Pro Display XDR. Rumors before its release expected a pro 7K model to launch, but it has apparently been pushed back multiple times.

The most recent rumor in October 2022 from display supply chain analyst Ross Young pointed to an early 2023 launch. This model would be a 27-inch mini-LED-backlit model with more bells and whistles.

Now, speaking to MacRumors, Ross Young is saying that he hasn't seen any signs of the display entering mass production, signaling a launch is not imminent. He's been one of the few rumor sources pushing that the higher-end Studio Display is coming, having predicted it first in March for a release in June 2022.

A different analyst, Ming-Chi Kuo, briefly weighed in on the subject in March, contradicting Young. He said that Apple wouldn't release another new product with mini LED in 2022, which was correct. The 12.9-inch iPad Pro was updated but already had mini LED.

Young has multiple sources from within Apple's supply chain, but it isn't clear what might be happening inside Apple's walls as it pertains to the production process for this rumored monitor.

Without a new release window for the mini LED Studio Display, it could be a while before the updated model is announced.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Yeah, Ross Young should probably wait for the leaks of contracts of mass production of parts being agreed to before saying anything. This rumor was kind of nutty to begin with. It's also been a rumor of an updated iMac Pro in the past too. Pretty soon, miniLED will be OBE and it's going be OLED display rumors.

A 5K 120 Hz (ProMotion) Apple external display needs Thunderbolt 5 in order to also be a dock. Apple's monitor vision is a 1 cable connection to a laptop. No laptops have Thunderbolt 5. So, uh, not happening. It could be a plain old monitor, without cameras and TB ports, just plain HDMI 2.1, but that would be a hack for an Apple monitor imo. And, the only Macs capable of driving it shipped about 2 weeks ago.

Thunderbolt 5 should have shipped at least 2 to 3 years ago, but alas no. Maybe next year. Well, more accurately, Thunderbolt 4 should have had 80 Gbit/s bandwidth, instead of being a certification standard with basically no changes to TB3. TB4 is basically TB3 with the optional stuff required.
    CurtisHightwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Can’t see this one yet. 

The Pro Display XDR will be updated soon snd apple will have the mid and high end covered. 

An epic relaunch of a large screen iMac is more likrr we my where mini LED will be going, in addition the the XDR display. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I wish Apple brings out an iMac with a replaceable logic board to reduce ewaste and improve market perception of the company. 
    I know I know, very unlikely. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Looking at the pic of the existing Studio Display, the ergonomics are all wrong ... and completely at odds with the ergonomic principles Apple itself set out for the original 20inch Apple Cinema Displays, which I happened to be looking at just yesterday. Those diagrams advise that the top of the monitor should not be higher than eye-level. The current iMac gets that right ... but the Studio Display sits much higher - and would be ergonomically inferior for anyone, unless they are standing up, or are unusually tall. Hopefully they will fix this in the next version ... and also allow the adjustable version to go down (not only up).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Huh? I'm looking at two of them right now, top of the monitor is at eye level at my normal position at my desk.

watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 10
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    wozwoz said:
    Looking at the pic of the existing Studio Display, the ergonomics are all wrong ... and completely at odds with the ergonomic principles Apple itself set out for the original 20inch Apple Cinema Displays, which I happened to be looking at just yesterday. Those diagrams advise that the top of the monitor should not be higher than eye-level. The current iMac gets that right ... but the Studio Display sits much higher - and would be ergonomically inferior for anyone, unless they are standing up, or are unusually tall. Hopefully they will fix this in the next version ... and also allow the adjustable version to go down (not only up).
    The display, the topmost lit pixels, on my 2013 iMac 27 is 19.25" high. Apple advertises the ACD27 as being 18.8". The bezel looks like 0.5", so, the top of the lit pixels is 18.3". Apple advertises the top of the iMac 24 as 18.1". A 0.5" bezel, so, its top most pixels are 17.6" high. Shorter yes, but the ACD27 is a larger monitor.

Seems to me Apple has centered the iMac 24 and ACD27 to about the same viewing height, and the top and bottom of the ACD27 will be both higher and lower than the iMac 24 because it is a bigger screen.

As far as ergonomics, you should really ignore it. Listen to what your body is telling you and adjust accordingly. The ergonomic designs are generic to the point of uselessness. There's always a balance of trades, and there isn't an a priori method to determine what works for you. You could follow the instructions and it may work for you, and even work for a while, until it doesn't. You then do something different.
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingamdewmeFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Did anyone really think after 12 years of not making a consumer level monitor they were going to release one then update it less than a year later?? They don’t even update iPhones that quickly. 

Not sure this rumor was ever worthy of being reported…
    StrangeDaysFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    tht said:
    wozwoz said:
    The display, the topmost lit pixels, on my 2013 iMac 27 is 19.25" high. Apple advertises the ACD27 as being 18.8". The bezel looks like 0.5", so, the top of the lit pixels is 18.3". Apple advertises the top of the iMac 24 as 18.1". A 0.5" bezel, so, its top most pixels are 17.6" high. Shorter yes, but the ACD27 is a larger monitor.

Seems to me Apple has centered the iMac 24 and ACD27 to about the same viewing height, and the top and bottom of the ACD27 will be both higher and lower than the iMac 24 because it is a bigger screen.

As far as ergonomics, you should really ignore it. Listen to what your body is telling you and adjust accordingly. The ergonomic designs are generic to the point of uselessness. There's always a balance of trades, and there isn't an a priori method to determine what works for you. You could follow the instructions and it may work for you, and even work for a while, until it doesn't. You then do something different.
    I totally agree. Plus, monitor height has nothing at all to do with screen backlighting technology, which is the aim of this article.

I’m at a loss to understand why changing the Studio Display to mini LED would make me want to replace my current Studio Display with a new one featuring mini LED. It’s the best display I’ve ever used. I suppose I’ll have to wait wait and see. 

If we’re going to get into a discussion about monitor height shouldn’t we really be focused on the design of the monitor stand, not the screen itself? Putting non removable and non height adjustable stands on monitors is a real problem in this regard, unless you just so happen to fit whatever “reference” torso, neck, and head dimensions the monitor maker decided to use for their product design. 

With the variability in human dimensions, more people now using sit-stand desks, and usefulness of changing screen orientation for certain tasks, monitor makers need to put much more thought on the overall adjustability of their products, starting with the stand. If we adhere to the “eye level” rule, portrait oriented displays would be useless and would require cutting a slot in the desk to allow the “underhang” to be below the desk height, especially when paired with a landscape oriented display. Same thing with monitors larger than about 30 inches.

Re: “The ergonomic designs are generic to the point of uselessness.” Yes indeed. Nobody would buy laptops, smartphones, and tablets if they cared even a tiny bit about ergonomics. The “chin-on-chest staring at their navel” pose exhibited by most smartphone users as they stumble through life completely oblivious to their surroundings isn’t exactly what I’d consider an ergonomic optimization. Not to mention the actual risk of being mowed down as roadkill by drivers doing the same thing inside a vehicle while pretending to be in control of the two ton rolling weapon they’re sitting in.

FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I wish Apple brings out an iMac with a replaceable logic board to reduce ewaste and improve market perception of the company. 
    I know I know, very unlikely. 
    It is replaceable. It’s just not user upgradable, which is what you’re asking for.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 10
    wozwoz said:
    You can get the up/down stand. Or, you can get it with a VESA mount, which I personally prefer.