Apple's iPhone hardware subscription could arrive by March

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    I think buying tech is a stupid idea renting it turning it in at the end of 12 months or 24 months is the right way to go by that point it’s outdated fractional ownership just like he would do on a car or a airplane is the right idea why own when you can lease it, give it back and get the latest and greatest new tech with all the new bells and whistles and updates. That would be like keeping Aunt NMaples consul TV, and considering it your primary television like really who would do such a thing? I would rather to always have a phone bill and have the best tech.  Better than to own a brick have some thing of yesteryear.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 33
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    JP234 said:
    darkvader said:
    Ugh, what a horrible idea.

Why would anybody want to pay for a phone in perpetuity?  I'll keep doing it right, I'll buy a phone and own it.
    What is it like to not be lack the ability abstract and think beyond your own personal situation? It sounds really awful.
    What is it like buying stuff you don't need, and can't afford, using revolving debt, and paying twice as much as the person who buys what he can afford, when he can afford it?
    How do you know any of this applies to their situation? You make a lot of personal assumptions about someone just because they are an advocate for choice. 

edited February 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 33
    So - 1: I’ll bet it’s US only as usual and 2: what if you want off this Ferris wheel and to keep your phone? Can you stop the payments and pay it out like a lease?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 33
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    danox said:
    thedba said:
    darkvader said:

Why would anybody want to pay for a phone in perpetuity?  I'll keep doing it right, I'll buy a phone and own it.
    While a subscription model may not appeal to you, it could be useful to many whose business depends on it.
    Or to those that really want to have the latest and greatest every 1-2 years.
    In the end you have to calculate how much do you pay for your phone and how long you keep it on average.
    It is the Aaron rents you own nothing and be happy era. What does it tell you when extremely wealthy people want to have you rent and pay a subscription for every little thing.

Modern sharecropping……. A dead wrong idea as a society we should be encouraging a more frugal approach to money, personal finance education obviously is a shortcoming not just in America, but it appears the world.
    First off we’re not here to debate whether X amount of consumerism is good for society or not.
    This is a tech forum discussing tech stuff and tech moves quite quickly more often than not.

No one is encouraging anyone. 
    We’ll have to see what the terms and conditions of this is and make a decision for ourselves. If people buy stuff they can’t afford, it’s on them. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 33
    How about rent a Mac? I will go for that one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 33
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,786member
    Might be an option for some people. For me it’s a hard no. I buy my devices and keep them for as long as I can. This program would over five or so years cost me more. And no if I got an updated phone every year would not make it worth it. If I needed a new phone I would get one. If what I have does what I need then getting a new one would just be annoying. 

lkrupp said:
    darkvader said:

Lots of people lease their automobiles instead of buying them. To each their own. Lots of people with low incomes use those ‘rent-to-own’ outfits for their appliances.

Yes, and that’s another thing I never went for. My 18 year old car has been paid off for a decade and a half, is stone reliable, and that’s more money in my pocket. 

And don’t get me started on the borderline loansharking that is rent to own furniture and appliance stores.
    edited February 2023 JP234watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 33
    There is a personality type that can never be wrong. For them, it’s “turtles, all the way down.”
  • Reply 28 of 33
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,786member
    JP234 said:
    DAalseth said:
    Might be an option for some people. For me it’s a hard no. I buy my devices and keep them for as long as I can. This program would over five or so years cost me more. And no if I got an updated phone every year would not make it worth it. If I needed a new phone I would get one. If what I have does what I need then getting a new one would just be annoying. 

lkrupp said:
    darkvader said:

Lots of people lease their automobiles instead of buying them. To each their own. Lots of people with low incomes use those ‘rent-to-own’ outfits for their appliances.

Yes, and that’s another thing I never went for. My 18 year old car has been paid off for a decade and a half, is stone reliable, and that’s more money in my pocket. 

And don’t get me started on the borderline loansharking that is rent to own furniture and appliance stores.
    If you can't afford to the payments to buy a shiny new car, then lower your sights, and buy a reliable used car like a Camry or Accord for the same monthly payment. When you get tired of driving it (since they never die), you have a vehicle to trade in on your next car, instead of an empty garage.
    Let’s bring this back to Apple Devices. When I need a phone, my 11 is going strong but maybe in a couple or three more years, I will look at the options and figure out what will fulfill my needs and what I can afford. Would I like an iPhone ProMaxUltraFold? Sure, but it won’t be in my budget. Likely it will be a base iPhone 16-17-whatever iteration they are up to, but maybe it will be an SE or something a year or so out of date if the price is right. What I will not do is lease my device. These easy monthly payments will eat you alive. It is like when every teacher gave you a couple hours of homework. It added up and the next thing you knew you had ten hours of crap staring you in the face and more to come tomorrow. These ten or twenty dollars of easy payments will, if you let them get out of hand, consume every bit of money you have.  
    muthuk_vanalingamJP234
  • Reply 29 of 33
    There is a personality type that can never be wrong. For them, it’s “turtles, all the way down.”
    I wonder who you could be talking about…🤔
  • Reply 30 of 33
    JP234 said:
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:
    darkvader said:

What is it like to not be lack the ability abstract and think beyond your own personal situation? It sounds really awful.
    What is it like buying stuff you don't need, and can't afford, using revolving debt, and paying twice as much as the person who buys what he can afford, when he can afford it?
    How do you know any of this applies to their situation? You make a lot of personal assumptions about someone just because they are an advocate for choice. 

He's an advocate for high interest, revolving debt, NOT choice. Once you sign that contract or agree to terms you didn't vother to read, you gave up choice.
    Ok chief. Whatever you say. You seem to know everything about everything and everyone, so I’ll defer to your expertise. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Hmm.
    Why buy a house when I can rent an apartment?
    Why buy a car that I don't want to customize and make my own?
    Why buy anything that I don't want the responsibility to maintain?
    Maybe the future is Owning nothing and being happy about it.

Thank you Louis Rossman for your insight.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    JP234 said:
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:
    Japhey said:
    JP234 said:
    darkvader said:

He's an advocate for high interest, revolving debt, NOT choice. Once you sign that contract or agree to terms you didn't vother to read, you gave up choice.
    Ok chief. Whatever you say. You seem to know everything about everything and everyone, so I’ll defer to your expertise. 
    Sarcasm? Is that your best response when you can't refute facts in evidence?
    What facts? The whole post is supposition. 

How do you know the interest rate they’ll pay?
    How do you know whether they will carry the debt, or pay it off immediately?
    How do you know that they didn’t read the contract?
    How do you know that they are even a “he”?

In the absence of facts, sarcasm is all that is required. 
    edited February 2023 muthuk_vanalingam