Will Apple's headset drive an augmented reality renaissance?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2023
Just about every supplier of augmented reality headset components is reportedly gearing up to make more components in the expectation that where Apple leads, many other manufacturers will quickly follow.

A render of a potential Apple headset
A render of a potential Apple headset

The most recent rumors around an Apple AR headset say that it will be unveiled at WWDC 2023 in June. That could be an early announcement, perhaps months ahead of an Apple device shipping, but reportedly, it's already enough for some suppliers.

According to Digitimes, makers of the optical components that could be used in headsets are preparing for what unnamed sources describe as a surge in demand. While Apple is believed to be preparing an AR headset, the suppliers expect other firms to race to produce extended reality (XR) and mixed reality (MR) devices.

Although Digitimes cites unspecified sources within the supply chain industry, the report appears to otherwise be supposition based on how much press Apple is now getting. It's highly likely that any success from Apple will prompt other manufacturers to enter the space, and equally they will want to do so swiftly.

It's already known that Samsung is partnering with Google and Qualcomm for a mixed-reality project. However, Microsoft appears to have abandoned its own HoloLens and MR plans.

What may also have prompted Digitimes is how this year's CES show had few stand-out VR devices, as if manufacturers are waiting to see what Apple does.

Generally Digitimes has a strong reputation for its industry sources. It has a considerably poorer one for the conclusions it draws from its information.

Currently, Meta would appear to be the most direct competitor to Apple's headset, but the company lost noted developer John Carmack in December 2022. He said at the time that Meta had a "ridiculous amount of people and resources" but also claimed "we constantly self-sabotage and squander effort."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I hope this is as good as it sounds and as good as the first iPhone. Can't wait to see it. It will knock Meta's socks off for sure.
    edited February 2023
  • Reply 2 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JP234 said:
    Can someone explain how reality is "augmented?" I always thought reality was an absolute.
    It means it’s not real. Some theoretical physicists and philosophers already posit that we’re living in a simulation.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,262member
    Renaissance means a revival; a return to previous glory. AR and VR remain curiosities, so there is nothing to return to. Apple may drive greater adoption, or it may flop. It remains to be seen. 
    mattinozFileMakerFellerbaconstang
  • Reply 4 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,798member
    Great hardware is worthless without great software and a purpose. 
    JP234baconstang
  • Reply 5 of 10
    if reality couldn’t be augmented there would be no need for beer 
  • Reply 6 of 10
    JP234 said:
    Can someone explain how reality is "augmented?" I always thought reality was an absolute.
    Imagine asking this out loud, then the glasses you're wearing display the definition for you and give you practical examples of what it means, all overlaid on top of what you're observing in real life:
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/augmented%20reality

JP234 said:
    lkrupp said:
    JP234 said:
    It means it’s not real. Some theoretical physicists and philosophers already posit that we’re living in a simulation.
    "Some theoretical physicists and philosophers" are full of themselves, and have no clue about the nature of reality. Just like the rest of us. You'd do way better to study Hindu and/or Buddhist philosophy. They've had over 3,500 years of intensive research into it.
    You could also ask your glasses what a hypothesis is.
    edited February 2023
  • Reply 7 of 10
    DAalseth said:
    I am also hopeful that Stickies.app gets ported to realityOS.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,344member
    DAalseth said:
    I am also hopeful that Stickies.app gets ported to realityOS.
    for both mature and immature reasons. 
    No doubt someone will make a memory aid app that recognises other other and adds a sticky to there image with partner and kids names birthdays and the like that will mostly just have the words "kick me" on them. 

• Reply 9 of 10
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,344member
    hexclock said:
    Renaissance means a revival; a return to previous glory. AR and VR remain curiosities, so there is nothing to return to. Apple may drive greater adoption, or it may flop. It remains to be seen. 
    Could be also taken as reference to suggest we are in currently the dark ages and these systems are being closely guarded by people who want to control us not see how we grow. Like the written language and the print press.