Apple TV+ needs more content and they will train directors to get it

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has unveiled a new six-month Apple Studios Directors' Program that will see existing directors shadow Apple TV+ series staff, and get a "one-of-a-kind" experience at Apple Park.

Where many or most Apple TV+ series are made by independent production companies commissioned by Apple, the company has its own in-house teams for Apple Studios and Apple Original Films. Now Apple is looking to expand the pool of directors available for Apple TV+ work, by launching this new program.

"Our goal is to identify innovative and diverse visionaries and give them a front row seat to Apple Studios productions and opportunities to network," says Apple. "Successful participants will be positioned to direct content for Apple TV+."

"The six-month program offers masterclasses focused on building and sustaining a career as a working episodic director," it continues. "The program will feature discussions with seasoned industry professionals focusing on the craft and business of directing, opportunities to participate as shadowing directors on Apple Studios series, and a one-of-a-kind experience in Apple Park tailored to inspire innovation and creativity."

There are no more details about the Apple Park experience, nor about the rest of the program.

However, Apple specify that it's for "mid-career directors across the US," so it is not for newcomers. "Under-represented minorities and women are strongly encouraged to apply," adds Apple.

The application website has been launched, but it is not yet accepting submissions. Directors can apply from 09:00 PT on February 23, 2023, and until 23:59 PT on March 1, 2023.

Three candidates will be chosen to participate in what Apple is describing as "the 2023 program." There's also the "[email protected]" email address associated with the program, further suggesting that this will be renewed annually.

Read on AppleInsider
Graeme000

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    JP234 said:
    If I were making the content decisions at Apple TV, I'd probably feel the same way.

But as a consumer of that content, I'd prefer Apple maintain the existing high standards. It would be wise to avoid the trap that NetFlix fell into: too much content, with no moderation, leading into a situation where the consumer has to wade through thousands of titles made on the cheap in Third World and Eastern European countries, 99% of them crap, to find something good to watch. Then gives up and switches to Apple TV.
    This is nothing but a public relations gimmick. I doubt that there will be any publicly noticeable difference for AppleTV+ programming.
    macfan2023lolliverJP234
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Film crew member here. I have many thoughts. (1) Yes, diversity is good. (2) Midlevel directors usually come from commercials, and, as a person who worked on commercials for a decade, but now works in television shows, I can state my opinion that commercial directors really have no business directing television shows. (3) a small number of midlevel directors come from independent movies. These directors are ordinarily a nightmare to deal with. (4) a smaller number of midlevel directors aren’t really directors, yet, but come from a writing background. Unless they’ve been on sets a lot, these directors are normally a nightmare to deal with. (5) a smaller number of directors come from an acting background. These are usually the best directors to work with. But, they’re often the least likely to be chosen. Also, all directors who are inexperienced run up tons of overtime and meal penalties. Some crews like the extra money; others don’t. I love how Apple corporate seems to think directing television shows is a primarily creative endeavor, when, when it comes to spending money, they’re super duper cheap! And, they won’t tolerate directors who blow budgets on an ongoing basis. To really “make it” as a television show director, you have to get your work done in the allotted time in order to be rehired. That’s a lot harder than it sounds. Filmmaking is oftentimes an unmanageable beast.
    byronlravnorodom12StrangersJP234StrangeDaysFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 7
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,120member
    Film crew member here. I have many thoughts. (1) Yes, diversity is good. (2) Midlevel directors usually come from commercials, and, as a person who worked on commercials for a decade, but now works in television shows, I can state my opinion that commercial directors really have no business directing television shows. (3) a small number of midlevel directors come from independent movies. These directors are ordinarily a nightmare to deal with. (4) a smaller number of midlevel directors aren’t really directors, yet, but come from a writing background. Unless they’ve been on sets a lot, these directors are normally a nightmare to deal with. (5) a smaller number of directors come from an acting background. These are usually the best directors to work with. But, they’re often the least likely to be chosen. Also, all directors who are inexperienced run up tons of overtime and meal penalties. Some crews like the extra money; others don’t. I love how Apple corporate seems to think directing television shows is a primarily creative endeavor, when, when it comes to spending money, they’re super duper cheap! And, they won’t tolerate directors who blow budgets on an ongoing basis. To really “make it” as a television show director, you have to get your work done in the allotted time in order to be rehired. That’s a lot harder than it sounds. Filmmaking is oftentimes an unmanageable beast.
    So maybe, if I’m following all this correctly, this program will take mid level directors from the various backgrounds described, and teach them some of the boundaries they really need to learn before they’re unleashed to torment cast and crew. 

I’ll add the caveat that there’s probably a self-selection bias here, in that overconfident, insufferable, narcissistic jerks who already have a little experience are not going to voluntarily subject themselves overtly to a “learning experience” of this nature. As a result, the selected applicants will probably be really open to collaboration and able to take constructive criticism without having fits of rage. 

So maybe this will be a good thing. 
    macfan2023
  • Reply 4 of 7
    JP234 said:
    If I were making the content decisions at Apple TV, I'd probably feel the same way.

But as a consumer of that content, I'd prefer Apple maintain the existing high standards. It would be wise to avoid the trap that NetFlix fell into: too much content, with no moderation, leading into a situation where the consumer has to wade through thousands of titles made on the cheap in Third World and Eastern European countries, 99% of them crap, to find something good to watch. Then gives up and switches to Apple TV.
    This is nothing but a public relations gimmick. I doubt that there will be any publicly noticeable difference for AppleTV+ programming.
    JP234 said:

Neither of these sentiments is correct. It’s not aimed at creating “MOAR!”, nor is a public relations gimmick as it’s not remotely public. As stated this is a training program for mid-career episodic directors, needed to produce episodic content. Quantity is not a factor of this story. 
    edited February 2023 fastasleep
  • Reply 5 of 7
    AppleZulu said:
    So maybe, if I’m following all this correctly, this program will take mid level directors from the various backgrounds described, and teach them some of the boundaries they really need to learn before they’re unleashed to torment cast and crew. 

I’ll add the caveat that there’s probably a self-selection bias here, in that overconfident, insufferable, narcissistic jerks who already have a little experience are not going to voluntarily subject themselves overtly to a “learning experience” of this nature. As a result, the selected applicants will probably be really open to collaboration and able to take constructive criticism without having fits of rage. 

So maybe this will be a good thing. 
    You understand me perfectly. It’s not that film crews are hard to work with, per se, but it’s that, frankly, when working a minimum of 65 hours a week, for four to ten months at a time, we get accustomed to a certain rhythm and flow and order and routine in our work. An inexperienced director can really upset this balance that gives us a sense of structure. So, yes, I think all of us or most all of us support the idea of diversity and inclusion, and certainly the crew I’m on right now is incredibly diverse in every way imaginable, but that diversity happened gradually over time through the union system, where noobs come in and work for others and work their way up. There really isn’t anything like that, industrywide, like a union, for new directors, and, so, yes, this six-month program sounds good to me! Let’s see what kind of directors it produces! Also, this sort of program is common at other studios. See here: https://www.dga.org/The-Guild/Diversity/TV-Studio-Directors-Development-Programs.aspx
    edited February 2023 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Diversity is good...until it isn't. Hire the best people. No need to check boxes. We've seen that doesn't work out very well.