iPhone 15 display & USB-C port shown off in leaked photos

Posted:
in iPhone
An accurate leaker has shared supposed photos of the base-model iPhone 15 display with Dynamic Island cutout and USB-C port.

iPhone 15 to gain the Dynamic Island
iPhone 15 to gain the Dynamic Island

The leaker known as @URedditor or Unknownz21 on Twitter is back only days after sharing a photo of the iPhone 15 Pro USB-C port. This time, they've shown how the base iPhone 15 design is similar to the iPhone 14, with some exceptions.

All iPhone 15 models are expected to adopt the new pill-and-hole cutout for the selfie camera, and the leaked photo confirms this. Apple calls the software surrounding this cutout the Dynamic Island, which displays information called Live Activities.

The images, if accurate, also confirm that the base iPhone 15 model will have USB-C as well. This change is likely as the EU has laws going into effect by 2024 that will require the more universal port on devices like iPhone.

Who needs half-baked renders when you have the real thing?

Here's an early base model iPhone 15.

(More info exclusively via @MacRumors, for now ) pic.twitter.com/LKPzJ8YwfE

-- Unknownz21 (@URedditor)

Unknownz21 shared the images with MacRumors first, though it appears that there aren't many other details. The report adds that the iPhone 15 will have a similar design to the iPhone 14, use the A16 processor, Wi-Fi 6, and a Qualcomm X70 modem.

The leaker has previously shared an image of the iPhone 15 Pro USB-C port. Unknownz21 has a short but accurate history, having shared the "Gobi" AR codes that became App Clips in iOS 14.

The iPhone 15 lineup is expected to launch in September 2023. The high-end iPhone 15 Pro models are expected to have a new curved titanium chassis instead of stainless steel.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Definitely will trade my 14 for 15 just for USB-C. 
    williamlondondoggone
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Makes sense. Apple had to do this to continue selling the standard iPhone 15 in the EU after 2024 -- it will be the only older standard iPhone that they can continue to sell. The question now is whether the 15 Pro models will get Thunderbolt 3/4. It would be a big selling point for pro users who need faster transfer speeds for high rez photos and 4K video. 
    chasmaaplfanboydoggone
  • Reply 3 of 16
    netrox said:
    Honestly curious; why?  Everyone clamoring for USB-C like it's going to be life changing and I just dont get it.  I couldn't possibly care less if my phone has USB C or not.  I only plug it in when I'm in the car for CarPlay.  And now I'll have to trash tons of lightning cables I already have.
    StrangeDayswilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 16
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    Brandonw said:
    netrox said:
    Honestly curious; why?  Everyone clamoring for USB-C like it's going to be life changing and I just dont get it.  I couldn't possibly care less if my phone has USB C or not.  I only plug it in when I'm in the car for CarPlay.  And now I'll have to trash tons of lightning cables I already have.
    I can’t answer for netrox,  but I think many people are tired of dealing with so many cables for electronics,  computer stuff in particular.  What a circus we have with all of the video cables, monitors and adapters that are in use.  I see this nearly every day as I work for a large company.  We need another video standard cable for the next 25 years in the same way the blue color vga cable we all know has been for the last 25 years.
    williamlondonfred1muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 16
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,415member
    Brandonw said:
    netrox said:
    Currently all my devices (MacBooks, iMac, Mac mini, iPad pros, external disks, cameras, etc) use USB-C ports. Also my car has USB-C port too. Eventually, we'll see more low power appliances with USB-C too. USB-C is the de facto standard interface for power and data; it makes no sense for Apple to keep clinging to Lightning interfaces. As soon as I get iPhone 15 with USB-C, I'll put those ridiculous lightning cables in storage and travel easily with just one cable to rule all my devices.  
    bala1234
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Brandonw said:
    For those of us who travel a lot and are constantly on-the-go, not having to carry an extra adapter is a godsend. The dream is that everything is USB-C and having an iPhone with USB-C brings the dream one step closer to reality.
    fred1
  • Reply 7 of 16
    netrox said:
    Brandonw said:
    netrox said:
    Currently all my devices (MacBooks, iMac, Mac mini, iPad pros, external disks, cameras, etc) use USB-C ports. Also my car has USB-C port too. Eventually, we'll see more low power appliances with USB-C too. USB-C is the de facto standard interface for power and data; it makes no sense for Apple to keep clinging to Lightning interfaces. As soon as I get iPhone 15 with USB-C, I'll put those ridiculous lightning cables in storage and travel easily with just one cable to rule all my devices.  
    Too bad all USB-C cables are not the same. Here's a pretty good guide:

https://www.chargerlab.com/how-to-choose-the-right-usb-c-to-usb-c-cable/
  • Reply 8 of 16
    netrox said:
    Brandonw said:
    netrox said:

No one said they are. You just need one 100W capable cable for charging everything. And if you need speed make sure that it supports something above USB 3.0.
    clemynxmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 16
    charlesn said:
    Makes sense. Apple had to do this to continue selling the standard iPhone 15 in the EU after 2024 -- it will be the only older standard iPhone that they can continue to sell. The question now is whether the 15 Pro models will get Thunderbolt 3/4. It would be a big selling point for pro users who need faster transfer speeds for high rez photos and 4K video. 
    Yahn. Thunderbolt 3/4? Why do you need it? Speed. Between what? iPad Pro M1 e.g. support only around 500 MB/s speed, though it has a thunderbolt. Why? Because the SSD in iPad is that low speed. Pro, my ass. The same probably would go for iPhone 15, even if they add Thunderbolt.
    Though I hope for higher SSDs in the devices, but apart of laptops other portable devices at Apple has low speed.
    It’s a shame that even in iPhone 14 with 1 TB they have only USB 2.0 speeds. 
  • Reply 10 of 16
    urahara said:
    netrox said:
    Brandonw said:
    netrox said:

No one said they are. You just need one 100W capable cable for charging everything. And if you need speed make sure that it supports something above USB 3.0.
    Good for you that you understand that not all USB-C cables are the same. Probably most readers here do too, but not everyone out there understands this. Yes, it's certainly true that one 100W capable cable would likely be enough to charge everything (if you're OK with charging one device at a time), but even as you mention, this would not be suitable if higher speed is required--just one more thing to think about. And of course, the better cables are going to be more expensive, which starts to add up when you have multi-device setups that require multiple, simultaneous connections like I have.

I personally am fine with USB-C and even prefer it to lightning. My point is that there are lots of USB-C cable types to choose from and the situation is no longer as simple as  buying or borrowing any old lightning cable and having it do what you need it to do.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    This leaker must be an adult to access this information yet he talks like a little boy, which is embarrassing. He brags about something that happened to him simply because he was at the right place at the right time, it’s ridiculous. It’s not like he created this iPhone 15. Seems like these leaks are the only things in his life. 
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Brandonw said:
    netrox said:
    USB-C on the iPhone means I can do away with the lightening cable when traveling.  I can charge my phone and Mac using the same charger and cable at home too if needed. Wireless charging has reduced the need for a cable but it crops up more often when traveling.  Tied with a GaN charger you can get good fast charging.
    I will be buying the new iPhone especially if it comes with USB-C.  I skipped getting the current model this time having got a new phone every year for 5 years.  
  • Reply 13 of 16
    doggone said:
    Brandonw said:
    netrox said:
    USB-C on the iPhone means I can do away with the lightening cable when traveling.  I can charge my phone and Mac using the same charger and cable at home too if needed. Wireless charging has reduced the need for a cable but it crops up more often when traveling.  Tied with a GaN charger you can get good fast charging.
    I will be buying the new iPhone especially if it comes with USB-C.  I skipped getting the current model this time having got a new phone every year for 5 years.  
    You phrase it like it wireless charging stops working when you’re traveling. 
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 129member
    The “fantastic” Lightning port on my iPhone 12 Pro Max croaked recently. So much for Lightning being “indestructible”, as I’ve read here when people here have trenchantly supported it over USB-C. Nothing is indestructible, but there is a range over which one would reasonably expect something to last with reasonable wear and tear (longer than two and a half years, for example). Luckily, I have a (working) magsafe charging puck for that iphone, and quite good wifi/internet, but Apple CarPlay is out now, of course. The point of my rant? I don’t care what port it is as long as it works, and keeps working for the life of the device. It remains to be seen what the longevity of USB-C sockets in iPhones might be - I don't care one way or the other. And I remember the Great Squawking and Clucking that arose when the Lightning connector very suddenly replaced the original 30-pin connector. There was no “getting used” to that - it just happened.

From 2018 onwards in the Apple ecosystem, iPad Pro users would have more of a practical insight about USB-C as a standard connector.
    edited February 2023
  • Reply 15 of 16
    netrox said:
    Brandonw said:
    netrox said:
    I get it, I travel too, but it’s one cable. And I’ve yet to see a plane with a USB C port so if you want to charge on a flight you either need the power brick or a usb a-usb c cable anyway. 

And you would need a second cable anyway to charge both devices at once. 
    edited February 2023
  • Reply 16 of 16
    kestral said:
    Brandonw said:
    For those of us who travel a lot and are constantly on-the-go, not having to carry an extra adapter is a godsend. The dream is that everything is USB-C and having an iPhone with USB-C brings the dream one step closer to reality.
    You don’t need an extra adapter, the lightning cables that come with iPhones is usb c. You still need a second cable to charge both at the same time. I travel frequently and at night charge both my MacBook and my phone.

No plane I’ve been on has USB C yet so you would still need a usba-USB’s cable for that.

I’m not arguing either way, I don’t care what port it has, just don’t get why it’s such s big deal for everyone.