New iPhone 15 Pro rumored to come in new deep red color

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple often releases its Pro lineup of iPhone models with a new, special edition color -- here's what the iPhone 15 Pro's signature color might look like.

Special edition colors are nothing new for Apple. For example, the iPhone 12 Pro came in Pacific Blue, the iPhone 13 Pro came in Sierra Blue, and the iPhone 14 Pro had Space Black and Deep Purple.

Now, according to 9to5Mac, we may have an early glimpse at what Apple has in store for 2023. Sources suggest that Apple is planning a deep, dark red color for the upcoming iPhone 15 Pro, with a hex code of #410D0D

In addition to the Pro lineup special edition color, the report claims that Apple is testing two new colors for base iPhone 15 models -- a bright blue and bright pink. However, these color options are only being tested and may change before final production.

All three colors as rumored are difficult to apply on a metal surface that is subject to abuse like an iPhone sees. Both aluminum and the rumored titanium alloy that may get used in the iPhone 15 Pro present materiel challenges to application of saturated or bright colors, and there are durability concerns with other methods Apple is not using to pigment case metals. In short, there are reasons for the relatively subdued colors that Apple has been using as of late.

Thursday's report also notes that the decision inside Apple is not final. Given historical test and production cycles, it is late in the game for Apple to be making these decisions now.

Apple is testing pink and blue colors for the iPhone 15
Apple is testing pink and blue colors for the iPhone 15

In addition to new colors, the iPhone 15 Pro is rumored to get a new titanium frame.

On Wednesday, a leaker shared supposed photos of the base-model iPhone 15 display with Dynamic Island cutout and USB-C port.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Sounds like a cool color.   How beautiful iPhones are without cases.  More importantly,
    they feel better to use without case.  But we can assume most will be covered up with cases.
    JP234
  • Reply 2 of 8
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Here’s that #410D0D deep red color.  AppleInsider snuck it in as the background for the article’s main image.

edited February 2023
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Not sure why this rumour is listed as “unlikely”.  They have to come up with something as a new colour, and many people have wanted a red Pro model.  Deep red is as likely as any.

Unless they mean that it could be the mid-cycle new colour we should expect in March, which is just as likely in my view.
    edited February 2023
  • Reply 4 of 8
    iPhone 15 is rumored to be a phone. Stay tuned for more breaking news. 
    Scot1M68000Japhey
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Hello? The base iPhone 14 is already available in a very bold and saturated Product Red version, so clearly Apple has solved how to apply these kinds of colors to metal. And both the 14 + 14 Pro have glass backs over the paint, which takes care of "abuse" issue. The real question is what happens if the 15 Pro is indeed a titanium back with no glass? You can certainly anodize or paint titanium, but unless Apple can coat it with some kind of "ceramic shield" or other very durable surface, I think the use and abuse factor with a phone will cause issues, I would certainly opt for naked titanium (which I hope is offered) over a color, and I'm usually all-in on the special color of the year. (Although Deep Purple kinda sucks.)
  • Reply 6 of 8
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    M68000 said:
    Sounds like a cool color.   How beautiful iPhones are without cases.  More importantly,
    they feel better to use without case.  But we can assume most will be covered up with cases.
    I stopped using a case because I want to see my beautiful phone. I do the screen protector thing but that’s it.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,282member
    s.metcalf said:
    Not sure why this rumour is listed as “unlikely”.  They have to come up with something as a new colour, and many people have wanted a red Pro model.  Deep red is as likely as any.

Unless they mean that it could be the mid-cycle new colour we should expect in March, which is just as likely in my view.
    Yeah I’d think deep red is at least “possible”