Qualcomm's M2-beating chip probably won't arrive until after M3 drops

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Is Qualcomm assuming Apple SOC will stop advancing? Apple silicon department likely has just as big a budget as Qualcomm if not bigger  
    edited March 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,595member
    DuhSesame said:
    So where did he promise their chip will “beat” the M2?
    They didn't. But obviously most commenting in this thread didn't get past the headline claiming they did. 

Follow the links in this article to earlier stories to see what they really said. Headlines are there for attention and not accurate portrayal.
    edited March 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 23
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,417member
    danvm said:
    jdw said:
    ... you should think of it as an Apple compete for the Microsoft ecosystem."
    I suppose some people actually care about Windoze.  I for one do not.  I've been an exclusively Mac user since the 128K in 1984. Hence, it doesn't matter that some chips in the Windoze world beat the M1 or M2.  Even Intel's latest and greatest beat the M2 in certain areas, but aside from the fact those new chips apply exclusively to Windoze (and therefore not to me), those fast chips also draw a huge amount of power compared to Apple Silicon, which makes them rather silly, especially with most people buying notebooks these days.  You see, when you pull the power cord on most any Windoze notebook, you suddenly get about half the performance, which is crazy.  MacBooks don't suffer a performance penalty for using battery power alone.  When pondering Apple Silicon, it's not only about performance (which is great, mind you).  Power draw matters!

If it wasn't for gamers and engineers and people too old to change their ways, would anyone really need or want a Windoze machine anymore?
    Considering the market share, there is a lot of people interested in Windows.  At least for me, Windows 11 have been as stable as my macOS devices.  In some tasks Windows is better, in others macOS does better.  

And you should add to the groups you listed, business and enterprises, that has the best ecosystem in MS services.  Also the group of users the prefer Windows over macOS (yes, they exist).  Maybe you should try Windows in a high quality PC.  It has improved a lot since 1984.   :#
    Fascinating that people who embrace Wintel so firmly are active on a forum named APPLEinsider!  I am here specifically because I don't do Windoze.  My first home computer was the 128K Mac in 1984.  After all these years, I've owned only Macs, despite the fact I've used Windoze at work.  And it is because of my experience using Windoze that I know I don't want to spend my hard earned cash on one for home use!  

Many Mac users these days are switchers from Wintel.  I've not found them to have the same appreciation for the Mac as those of us who have never embraced the Dark Side.  Some feel those folks are more open-minded, and maybe they are.  But I have no desire to have a Wintel machine in my home.

Now that's not to say I don't have my complaints about Apple's bad decisions, and I send them a lot of feedback as a result.  macOS Ventura, for example, is horrible due to the bastardized System Preferences.  I don't mind the fact they renamed it System Settings, but to make it like iOS is vastly inferior to the way it was before, and that's not just muscle memory talking.  But even that huge complaint does not in any way whatsoever tempt me to move to Windows.  Think about it.  I've been using Macs for almost 40 years.  Wintel offers me no temptation at all.  I just want macOS to be better.  And with my feedback and feedback from other Mac fans, I think it can.  Apple does listen to us, occasionally.
    watto_cobra