Plugable's new docking stations bring three displays to M1 Macs

Posted:
in General Discussion
Plugable's newly launched MacBook docking stations not only provide port expansion, but they also bring multiple external monitor support to M1 Macs.

If you find yourself wishing you had more screen real estate for work or play, don't fret -- Plugable's two new docking stations allow you to add up to three screens to your setup.

UD-3900PDH - Plugable 14-in-1 USB-C Triple Monitor Docking Station

The UD-3900PDH utilizes the DisplayLink DL-3900 chipset and boasts impressive compatibility. Users can connect up to three screens on their Windows, ChromeOS, and Mac machines -- even M1 and M2 Macs.

This dock has 100W of USB-C Power Delivery, allowing you to keep your MacBook Pro charged and ready to go.

It also features plenty of ports to ensure you never have to hunt for adapters.

Ports include:
  • Gigabit Ethernet port

• 2 x Displaylink HDMI ports that support 1920x200 at 60Hz

• 1 x DisplayPort HDMI port that supports 4K up to 60Hz

• 5 x USB 5Gbps ports

• 1 x 3.5mm analog audio input jack

• 1 x 3.5mm analog audio output jack

• 1 x microSD card reader

• 1 x SD card reader

• 1 x 100W USB-C Power Delivery port
The UD-3900PDH is available on Amazon for $169.99. Those who buy soon can take advantage of a $20 off coupon that can be applied when checking out from Amazon.

UD-768PDZ - Plugable 13-in-1 USB-C Triple Monitor Docking Station

Plugable's second dock, the UD-768PDZ, also offers 100W USB-C Power Delivery charging.

Users can add up to three screens using the three HDMI ports -- one through USB-C Alt mode and two controlled through the SMI driver -- and all three at 1080P at 60Hz.

Like Plugable's other docking station, the UD-768PDZ boasts nearly every port needed for a smooth workflow.

Ports include:
  • Gigabit Ethernet port

• 2 x Silicon Motion (SMI) HDMI ports

• 1 x Alt Mode HDMI port

• 4 x USB 5Gbps ports

• 1 x USB 10Gbps port

• 1 x 3.5mm analog audio input jack

• 1 x 3.5mm analog audio output jack

• 1 x microSD card reader

• 1 x SD card reader

• 1 x USB-C 20W Power Delivery port
  • 1 x 100W USB-C Power Delivery port
The UD-768PDZ is available at Amazon with a retail price of $179.99. Those who act quickly can take advantage of a $20 coupon applied at checkout.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    JP234 said:
    You shoulda just spent the extra $170 to upgrade from the Macbook Air to the Pro.

Probably true but the convenience of just plugging in one cable (into your mac) and you entire accessory list springing into action is worth the $$ for some people.
    muthuk_vanalingamJP234dewme
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Man, they really need to hire a product designer. I would pay extra to not have those boxes on my desk. Eyesore.
    JP234
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Did anyone else notice where the description said that the resolution was 1920x200?  I miss the old days when sites like AppleInsider hired copy editors to edit copy rather than over relying on the spellcheck built into whatever word processor is being used. 
  • Reply 4 of 10
    r_marir_mari Posts: 12member
    All for $169?
    That's a bargain!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    xpaulsoxpaulso Posts: 13member
    FYI: There are many drawbacks to DisplayLink Ports. They rely on a soft GPU running on the main CPU that compresses the framebuffer. This compressed buffer then pushed to USB hub embeded in the dock and switched to the a Hardware GPU that decompresses the Buffer and displays it to attached the display. This creates much more latency than PCIe attached hardware GPU. Never mind the DMA based GPU of the M1. DisplayLink is useful for static displays. But video, gaming etc will be noticeably latent. 
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 6 of 10
    marc g said:
    Did anyone else notice where the description said that the resolution was 1920x200?  I miss the old days when sites like AppleInsider hired copy editors to edit copy rather than over relying on the spellcheck built into whatever word processor is being used. 

No they got it right. Its based on a  Displaylink DL-3900. These max out @ 2x 1920x1200@60p. 

Displaylink does have a 4k@60p capable chipset but not one they've integrated into a full dock yet. It supports (2) 4k@60p displays via a single USB-A/USB-C 3.X port. 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    JP234 said:
    bala1234 said:
    JP234 said:
    You shoulda just spent the extra $170 to upgrade from the Macbook Air to the Pro.

Probably true but the convenience of just plugging in one cable (into your mac) and you entire accessory list springing into action is worth the $$ for some people.
    Agreed. I have a USB-C hub for my MacBook Air, but it cost $18.99. True, it's not as versatile as the $170 hub, but I don't need an Ethernet port, and I don't need support for 3 monitors, either. It has everything else.
    This is more like a USB3 HUB, external GPU and power supply then a simple USB-C adapter. This external GPU is the only option available for providing multiple displays to the Base M1 chip. 

The Display Link SoC (GPU, Hub, ethernet, audio USB-PD) is about $100 chip on it own, then you have a 100W PD, cables ports. You're $20 device essentially just provides ports for all the capabilities already embedded in your macbook. I'm not a big Fan of DisplayLink, but if you're limited by a lowerend macbook its the only solutuion avaible. They are literally the only vendor that creates this type of solution. The lack of competition tells me its expensive to create these ASICs and driver code. 
    JP234
  • Reply 8 of 10
    grayskyz said:
    Man, they really need to hire a product designer. I would pay extra to not have those boxes on my desk. Eyesore.
    There are other vendors using the same Display Link Chipsets. I'm not sure what you'd like your dock to look like. But one of these similar devices might be more pleasing.

IVIIN Universal USB C Docking Station 

or

Yottamaster USB C Displaylink Docking Station for M1/M2 MacBook

• Reply 9 of 10
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Caldigit still gets my money for making the most logical thunderbolt dock.  These other ones are just bandaids.