Wrestling series 'Monster Factory' bodyslams Apple TV+ in March

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2023
Apple has another sports documentary arriving on Apple TV+ about wrestlers fighting for their break to become professionals.

"Monster Factory" is coming in March

Called "Monster Factory," Apple's pro wrestlingdocuseries premieres Friday, March 17. It follows a group of "misfit dreamers" at a wrestling school in New Jersey, who work with their coach to join the ranks of professional wrestlers.

{"@context":"https://schema.org/","@type":"VideoObject","name":"Monster Factory -- Official Trailer | Apple TV+","description":"Wrestlers aren't born. They're made. Monster Factory streaming on AppleTV+ March 17 https://apple.co/_MonsterFactory","thumbnailUrl":"https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bsCo2dOKwSM/sddefault.jpg","uploadDate":"2023-03-02T16:29:51Z","duration":"PT2M23S","embedUrl":""}

The crew of characters includes Danny Cage, Twitch, Bobby Buffet, Gabby Ortiz, and Goldy. Each wrestler has a different backstory -- for example:
Goldy: The pretty boy. But what lies underneath this chiseled, bad-boy exterior is someone who has crippling social anxiety who is using wrestling as a way to control his panic attacks. In the ring, he becomes someone else, someone invincible. But will the pressure of being in the spotlight ultimately be too much?
The series of six episodes are produced by Vox Media Studios and Public Record, with Max Heckman, Jeremiah Zagar, Galen Summer, Chad Mumm, Mark W. Olsen, and Jeremy Yaches serving as executive producers. All episodes will be available on the March 17 debut.

The new series joins other sports content on Apple TV+ that include "Real Madrid: Until The End," a new sports documentary set to hit the streaming service in early March.

The three-part series gives fans an intimate look at Real Madrid, an iconic Spanish professional football club. It dives into the team's memorable 2021-2022 season, where Real Madrid earned a record 14th Champions League title.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,751member
    JP234 said:
    "Apple has another sports documentary…"

Calling pro wrestling a "sport" is a joke. So is the idea of a documentary about it. The show is about the fantasy personas, not actual people. If you aren't in the game, you'll never know the lives of these performers until they die prematurely of addiction to painkillers.
    Sports is a form of entertainment, plain and simple. Sure you can distinguish between the practiced abilities of athletes to excite fans during games compared to the practiced abilities of actors to excite fans during movies and the fact that wrestling fits somewhere between those two, but in the end, the goal is the same. I'm no fan of wrestling, but to get high and mighty about one form of entertainment compared to another is the real joke. Addiction happens in all of them, and the underlying human reasons for it are the same.
    edited March 2023 chasmwilliamhJP234lolliverwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 4
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,751member
    JP234 said:
    auxio said:
    JP234 said:

Calling pro wrestling a "sport" is a joke. So is the idea of a documentary about it. The show is about the fantasy personas, not actual people. If you aren't in the game, you'll never know the lives of these performers until they die prematurely of addiction to painkillers.
    Sports is a form of entertainment, plain and simple. Sure you can distinguish between the practiced abilities of athletes to excite fans during games compared to the practiced abilities of actors to excite fans during movies and the fact that wrestling fits somewhere between those two, but in the end, the goal is the same. I'm no fan of wrestling, but to get high and mighty about one form of entertainment compared to another is the real joke. Addiction happens in all of them, and the underlying human reasons for it are the same.
    "Addiction happens in all of them, and the underlying human reasons for it are the same."
    Your last sentence is right. Right up to the comma. But you've implied a defective syllogism:
    Sports is a form of entertainment
    Pro wrestling is a form of entertainment
    Therefore Pro wrestling is a sport
    Define sport. Wrestling does require athletic ability, does require participants to train in certain abilities and keep their bodies in good shape, much the same as athletes in other sports. There are competitive matches. The only difference is that the outcome is predetermined, and that's why it fits between theatre and sport.

As for your view on addiction, I can see the trend in your thinking now. Black and white, right and wrong. I'm actually a bit surprised you chose the dogcow as your avatar.
    edited March 2023 lolliverbestkeptsecretJapheymuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    auxio said:
    JP234 said:
    auxio said:
    JP234 said:

"Addiction happens in all of them, and the underlying human reasons for it are the same."
    Your last sentence is right. Right up to the comma. But you've implied a defective syllogism:
    Sports is a form of entertainment
    Pro wrestling is a form of entertainment
    Therefore Pro wrestling is a sport
    Define sport. Wrestling does require athletic ability, does require participants to train in certain abilities and keep their bodies in good shape, much the same as athletes in other sports. There are competitive matches. The only difference is that the outcome is predetermined, and that's why it fits between theatre and sport.

As for your view on addiction, I can see the trend in your thinking now. Black and white, right and wrong. I'm actually a bit surprised you chose the dogcow as your avatar.
    I like the way you have presented your arguments, but you mentioned "The only difference is that the outcome is predetermined". Isn't that the key point when it comes to defining a sport, that the outcome is unknown?
    watto_cobra