Lionel Messi treats team to gold iPhone 14 Pro after victory

Posted:
in iPhone
Argentinian soccer legend Lionel Messi has treated his team to fancy golden iPhone 14 Pro models after winning the World Cup.

iPhone 14 Pro
iPhone 14 Pro

Messi and his team recently led Argentina to win the 2022 FIFA World Cup and has treated his players to personalized, 24-carat gold iPhone 14 Pros from iDesign Gold. Each features the player's name, number, and Argentinian logo engraved on the back.

"Lionel is not only the Goat but he's one of iDesign Gold's most loyal customers and got in touch with us a couple of months after the World Cup final," CEO of iDesign Gold Ben Lyons told The Sun. "He said he wanted a special gift for all the players and staff to celebrate the amazing win but didn't want the usual gift of watches. So, I suggested gold iPhones inscribed with their names and he loved the idea."

Messi reportedly spent about $200,000 on all 35 phones, although that shouldn't set the soccer star back too much. In 2022, he was considered the World's Highest-Paid Athlete earning $130 million as of May 2022, though that figure is likely different now.

Source: iDesign Gold
Source: iDesign Gold

Argentina's World Cup victory last year in Qatar was the nation's first since 1986. As the team's captain, Messi scored seven goals during the tournament and has scored over 795 during his career so far, the most goals by a player for a single football club.

With an iPhone 14 Pro, the players will find a 48-megapixel primary camera, an always-on display, a Dynamic Island, and a blazing-fast A16 Bionic chip, among other features.

Read on AppleInsider
waveparticle

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 188member
    Pretty cool. The iPhone looks great in plated gold. And the engravings are just the right depth. Nice gift token.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Why not Samsung?
    Japhey
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mrshowmrshow Posts: 164member
    Madbum said:
    Why not Samsung?
    Samsung is for the losing team. 
    lkrupp
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Madbum said:
    Why not Samsung?
    Because Samsung doesn’t make iPhones?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    cambercamber Posts: 25member
    He should have bought the Saudis phones as well for having scared the bejeebees out of them in their first game.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mrshow said:
    Madbum said:
    Why not Samsung?
    No F***** Way!! France wants IPhone too!!! 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Now they can’t use MagSafe charging because of the plating 😔
  • Reply 8 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    iOSDevSWE said:
    Now they can’t use MagSafe charging because of the plating ߘ䦬t;/div>
    Well, gold is non-ferrous so I think it will still work. And they won’t be using cases on these babies!
    edited March 2023 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mrshow said:
    Madbum said:
    Why not Samsung?
    Avon b7 will be along shortly to explain why he should have selected Huawei instead.  o:)
  • Reply 10 of 11
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,941member
    lkrupp said:
    mrshow said:
    Madbum said:
    Why not Samsung?
    Avon b7 will be along shortly to explain why he should have selected Huawei instead.  o:)
    Ha! Yes, you made me chuckle. 

I've always liked your wry sense of humor. Hats of to you kind sir. 

I will say though that I still remember Messi's first explosive performance for FCB at the Camp Nou back on a very balmy August 2005 day against Fabio Capello's Juventus.

It was only a friendly pre-season affair but those who saw it, knew that something special was arriving on the scene.

I also remember him pre-fame in Castelldefels (where he lived just outside Barcelona). Just a kid really. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,633member
    I would imagine that any one of these phones carefully housed in a trophy case and not used will appreciate in value quite substantially, far beyond its initial cost. These are way too nice to be used for the relative pedestrian daily tasks that any iPhone 14 Pro is called upon to serve. The fact that these gold plated mementos are iPhones is kind of secondary to their value and meaning to those who received them, at least from my perspective. Then again, these player are in a league of their own when it comes to material possessions, so these may simply be one of many extravagances they get to enjoy without consideration for the intrinsic and personal value of any one item. In other words, they have a lot more toys than we do and these are just another one to add to the pile. It's still a grand gesture by Messi, whether or not the recipients treat them as cherished trophies or tools, or both.