The best things to come from the US

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Chicago Pizza is indeed up there. That stuff is a true meal.

But I was going to have to go with radio, television, transistors, IC's, Microprocessors. . . EE is a study of American history. AC power! Gotta love AC power.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    NASA's Moon Landings were pretty impressive. still launching cool stuff.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "Geezus Kryst, you sure can't just lighten up and put your differences aside to have some fun can you? Way to hijack the thread."

It looks like people are still having fun--and it needed to be said.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ColanderOfDeath

the Marshall Plan.

Hahahahahaha, true.

Red Hot Chili Peppers (minus Hillel)

Nine Inch Nails

MINNESOTA
  • Reply 25 of 40
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    best:

stable capitalist democracy

worst:

John Ashcroft
  • Reply 26 of 40
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

harley's

Ugh. I consider myself a bit of a biker, and I'm not keen on Harley's. What I don't like about them must be everybody's beefs with the brand (bloated, chromed, more style than virtue,...), though I'll grant you that they are the best in the 'custom' realm of motorcycles.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

You condescension is rank,

I dare you to steer clear of condescension on the day you get to be as good as myself.

Quote:

though it is a change of pace to see you not speaking in hate speech and black-and-white terms.

I would think that, if you'd have spend a bit of attention, you'd have found that the discussing persona is the littlest of my incarnations on these boards. I indulge in educated discussion (not "hate speech or black-and-white terms") only every so often, and I do it no worse, no better than most of us here. I'm sorry, however, if your political outview doesn't collide with mine, and if I'm brave enough to say it.

Quote:

If this is your gesture of goodwill maybe you'll be able to redraft it so it isn't so filled with shock that there may be a some good things lurking in the Heart of Fascist Darkness that is America.

I'm not here to please you mrmister, if you don't like me, you are invited to avoid me, so as no longer to get unpleasantly irritated. Hey, there is even an Ignore list feature for this exact purpose. Bye, mr.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

however i think america's greatest gift to the world are....

MOVIES!

serious, stupid, funny, romantic, inane, beautiful, ugly, big budget, low budget, artistic......

i love foreign films, don't get me wrong, but america invented MOVIES.

oh and JAZZ too.

On Jazz: absolutely. God's great gift. And plenty of good movies, though I don't think the US has a monopoly on good movies.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

HOCKEY!

Aw crap... wait a minute, that's from Canada.

Uhhh. Reason 2.5! No wait - that's German.

Errr... I'll have to say Chicago Style Pizza (cuz believe me, it's not Italian!)

Actually Moogs, Reason is from Sweden....
  • Reply 30 of 40
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    No, I'll keep you on. You interest me.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Levis

Macs (no really...think about it! Imagine how different your life would be... )

Rock & roll (the good stuff...think Berry and Holly)
  • Reply 32 of 40
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Tom Petty. You guy's say Rock'n roll???? I thought Keith Richards was British Ok then then, he lives in Connecticut
  • Reply 33 of 40
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Ooo, definitely gotta give a "right on" about Petty. Still doing it, and better than most whippersnappers half his age!

Tom and the boys are just a damn near perfect band, IMO.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Best thing to come from the US:

the blues

bob dylan

macintosh

the simpsons

just about everything i do was invented here, or drastically changed to our culture to seem as if it were from here.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    You lot are sooo far off....

1)The Pet Rock

2)The Flow Bee

3)Rock and Roll
  • Reply 36 of 40
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    James Bond. Yes, he's British, but he's an American invention. He is so terminally cool, in spite of his treatment of women as objects. Well, maybe that only makes him cooler...

*ducks*
  • Reply 37 of 40
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Levis

yes except that Denim comes from france and is named after the town of Denim, France . . . where Levi like cloths were worn by workers

Levi-Strauss made teh modern day Levis in San Fransisco
  • Reply 38 of 40
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    The Declaration of Independence

The Constitution

The Bill of Rights

Religious Freedom

Freedom of Speech

The right to scream at each other till the veins in your neck stick out then go out together to a baseball game and scream at the umpires.

Yes, baseball. That's a magic word for some of us.

The Ghostbusters. They came, they saw, they kicked its ass.

The Primary Envoys of American Culture, television shows:

Gilligan's Island. The Flintstones. The Andy Griffith Show. All In The Family. Roots. MASH. Cheers. Friends.

No better advertising for a country than these television shows. They were silly, funny, serious and scandalous. Wildly entertaining, rambunctiously silly, they showed that we're an introspective nation; far more so than some outsiders would ever grudgingly give us credit (no names here). We're forever reinventing ourselves, discovering our many peoples and forever arguing about what's best for our nation. It's a remarkable nation, where anyone can be anything they want to be if they have the talent and the chutzpah.

That's just a warm-up....
  • Reply 39 of 40
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

James Bond. Yes, he's British, but he's an American invention.

He is not an American invention, he comes from the pen of Brit. author Ian Flemming.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by n a d n e r b

Actually Moogs, Reason is from Sweden....

Is it? I've seen both .se and .de web sites, wasn't sure which was the "official" home. I guess since so many other products in that niche are German, I figured they were too. Maybe the Malmstrom Synth (coolest ever) should've tippes me off.