Purported iPhone 15 Pro photos show indent for rumored new volume control

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2023
Unverifiable images said to be of the actual iPhone 15 Pro enclosure metal show a cutaway and indented section where the volume button -- or buttons -- may go.

Following multiple rumors that the iPhone 15 Pro will switch to having a single long volume control, a newly leaked image appears to something of a new design. But it is not conclusive, either way.

The leak comes from Twitter user "fix Apple," who claims to be a hardware technician "at Apple and Huwai," and rarely tweets, This image is described solely as being the "new one," and could be a side view of the iPhone 15, iPhone 15 Pro, or a combination of models that aren't even the iPhone 15.

Each of the four iPhones shown features a section for the volume control -- or perhaps the lock switch -- but with the button or buttons absent. There is just a section indented into the chassis, which features a pair of contact points.

It's not possible to be sure whether this means a single button that stretches over the two points. However, it is a single indent, where previously the iPhone chassis had separate cutaways for the two volume controls, and one for the lock button versus what is shown here.

The spacing of the switch as seen in the images is more suitable to the mute rocker than the power button on the iPhone 14 at least. Ultimately, the provenance of the images can't be assured, so it's unclear what's on display.

However, despite the angling of the iPhones in the shot, the camera bump can be seen on the right of each one. This means the positioning of the cutaway for a button better aligns with this being the power switch.

Beyond what appears to be a new volume rocker, the iPhone 15 Pro Max is expected to be yet another iteration of the existing design, though the slight change could be striking. The bottom edge of the metal frame is rumored to curve into the glass back for a more uniform, smooth design.

The metal material would be made of titanium instead of stainless steel. The glass back will remain the same to enable wireless charging and MagSafe.

The camera bump could change to accommodate the rumored periscope telephoto camera. Despite having a new camera system, the camera bump could shrink slightly in length and width, though is still expected to be thicker overall.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    BatchBatch Posts: 1member
    That is quite clearly the power button not the volume control. It is the right hand side of the phone.
    Calany01hammeroftruthwdowellrobin huberthtzigzaglenssphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Batch said:
    That is quite clearly the power button not the volume control. It is the right hand side of the phone.
    Thanks for making me take a second look. Hope we’re right. I recall a rocker type volume control on an earlier device (iPad?) and not liking it much. Didn’t seem to give as much tactile feedback—fewer edges for finger to “read.”
    edited March 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 834member
    This also appears to be the Deep Purple color, which I very seriously doubt Apple plans on carrying over to the iPhone 15. AFAIK, it has never carried over a "special Pro color" to a second year. 
    sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ÓlafurÓlafur Posts: 1member
    I’m very doubtful this “leak” is genuine… The color of the phone for one thing, and where is the predicted rounded off frame that most predictions seem to be promising. As a previous person has already pointed out, the “new” cutout is definitely next to the camera lens array which puts the volume control on the wrong side of the phone! I’m hoping that the titanium frame & curved screen really do appear with the 15 Pro Max (or whatever it gets called).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,105member
    It would be nice to have a flat side.  Then I could use my level apps again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Has anyone compared this to the naked frame of current iPhone to see if this machining is any different?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Batch said:
    Seriously.
    sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    charlesn said:
    This also appears to be the Deep Purple color, which I very seriously doubt Apple plans on carrying over to the iPhone 15. AFAIK, it has never carried over a "special Pro color" to a second year. 
    That doesn't mean they wouldn't keep using it for prototypes, which these appear to be.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Don't mean to sound mean to the journalist, and others have already made this point, how can anyone look at this image and think it's the volume/left side?! It's so obviously the power button/right side! 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    It is nothing more than the purple iPhone 14 (Pro). Why? 
    1. There is no rounded frame, it's just the straight edge from the 14 (pro) frame 
    2. Button placement is near the camera, so we are looking at the powerbutton, not the volume buttons. 
    3. The color might be purple (14 pro) but might also be the black 14 under bad lighting. 
    3. Google "replace power button iphone 14" and you'll see it has the same layout, matching the two round holes in the frame: 

• Reply 11 of 11
    ...claims to be a hardware technician "at Apple and Huwai,"

Sure, I trust a leaker who can't even spell the company they work for.

edited March 2023