Jason Sudeikis thinks 'Ted Lasso' spin-offs are a possibility

Posted:
in General Discussion
"Ted Lasso" star Jason Sudeikis says that season 3 is the end of that particular story -- but there may be more coming from AFC Richmond.

"Ted Lasso"

"Ted Lasso" creator Bill Lawrence said that the show would likely end after season three, and cast members shared final goodbyes in November. Speaking to Deadline, Jason Sudeikis didn't share details but said it was the end of the story they wanted to tell.

"This is the end of this story that we wanted to tell, that we were hoping to tell, that we loved to tell," Sudeikis said. "The fact that folks will want more and are curious beyond more than what they don't even know yet -- that being Season 3 -- it's flattering."

"Maybe by May 31, once all 12 episodes of the season [have been released], they're like, 'Man, you know what, we get it, we're fine. We don't need anymore, we got it,'" he added. "But until that time comes, I will appreciate the curiosity beyond what we've come up with so far."

However, Sudeikis mentioned the prospect of a Ted Lasso spin-off focusing on one of the other characters in the show.

"Yeah, I think that we've set the table for all sorts of folks...to get to watch the further telling of these stories," he said. "Again, I can't help but take the question as flattery for what all of us that were working on the show has tried to do.

"It's really kind of folks to even consider that because you never know what's gonna happen when you make things, Sudeikis said. "The fact that people want more, even if it's a different avenue is lovely."

Season three of "Ted Lasso" premieres on March 15, with twelve episodes, and ends on May 31. It will follow the newly-promoted AFC Richmond, facing ridicule as media predictions bid them as last in the Premier League.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    If there is a spin-off, my prediction is that it will be based on the character Nathan Shelley (played by Nick Mohammed.) My guess is that they will try to "spin the show around" by having Nathan go coach an American football team. I just googled who the worst NFL team was for last year, and it was the Chicago Bears. So the name of the show could be "Bear With Us."
    FileMakerFellerbyronl
  • Reply 2 of 6
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    I enjoyed seasons one and two and was glad to see it got to a natural end with the recording of season three.

There have been some weird cancelations going on recently on all platforms with decisions to leave viewers in the lurch.

Killing off a series before its natural end only makes viewers wary of new efforts. 

A bit of commitment is in order to see things through. If a story needs three seasons, give it the three. 
    byronl
  • Reply 3 of 6
    If there is a spin-off, my prediction is that it will be based on the character Nathan Shelley (played by Nick Mohammed.) My guess is that they will try to "spin the show around" by having Nathan go coach an American football team. I just googled who the worst NFL team was for last year, and it was the Chicago Bears. So the name of the show could be "Bear With Us."
    My brain then generated "Beard With Us" - but yours is by far the better idea.
    byronl
  • Reply 4 of 6
    avon b7 said:
    I enjoyed seasons one and two and was glad to see it got to a natural end with the recording of season three.

There have been some weird cancelations going on recently on all platforms with decisions to leave viewers in the lurch.

Killing off a series before its natural end only makes viewers wary of new efforts. 

A bit of commitment is in order to see things through. If a story needs three seasons, give it the three. 
    "Killing off a show before its natural end" has been going on since before your parents were born.

If you're the kind of person who gets upset if a show doesn't have a nicely scripted conclusion, might I suggest not watching a show until it ends with one and then starting it?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    avon b7 said:

"Killing off a show before its natural end" has been going on since before your parents were born.

If you're the kind of person who gets upset if a show doesn't have a nicely scripted conclusion, might I suggest not watching a show until it ends with one and then starting it?
    Not where I come from and I'm not exactly a youngster. 

Firstly, most series from before I was born didn't have a story to tell in the first place (at least the ones I was aware of). That is a relatively new thing (at least on a mass production level). They were sitcoms or free running series that described situations. 

Streaming series and platforms where the user is paying for content is a different beast. 

Take a look back at some of the best series out there from regular TV and you will find a few that might not have got past the first season if viewer ratings were all that mattered. 

Now I, and I expect I'm not alone, will not watch new 'story content' until I know the series has reached critical mass. Why bother with something if could get the axe before it reaches culmination or the storyline has to be butchered to make it sit within budget limitations? 

It's all connected to the streaming platform viewing metrics and won't end well for the platforms. 

edited March 2023 muthuk_vanalingam