Face ID under the iPhone screen delayed to 2025 or later

Posted:
in iPhone
Backing up previous rumors, display analyst Ross Young says the iPhone 15 Pro won't get under-display Face ID because of technical issues, and it will arrive at the earliest on the iPhone 17 Pro.

Since the iPhone X introduced the notch to house its Face ID system, there have been rumors that Apple would manage to hide the biometric technology underneath the screen. Those rumors have lately included the feature coming to the iPhone 15 Pro, but more often it's been expected for 2024's iPhone 16 Pro.

Now in a brief tweet, display analyst Ross Young claims we could be lucky to see it before the iPhone 17 Pro.

Under panel Face ID is now expected to be pushed at least a year to 2025 or later due to sensor issues.

-- Ross Young (@DSCCRoss)

If under-display Face ID does make its first appearance in 2025's iPhone 16, it will bring to an end eight years of the notch.

Or rather it will on the iPhone. There's no rumor yet of when the notch could also disappear from the MacBook Pro.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,032member
    It's just a rumor. It can't be delayed.
    mark fearingStrangeDaysronndewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    This just in: rumors are rumors and the rumors are delayed.
    StrangeDaysronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    The notch doesn’t bother me but if I had the option I would prefer a clean screen without Face ID or the selfie camera.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,534member
    No big deal. The Dynamic Island still has legs for another release cycle or two, especially if they drop it into the non-pro models.
    watto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 5 of 9
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,097member
    In short, they’re working on it, no surprise.
    byronl
  • Reply 6 of 9
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,955member
    The notch doesn’t bother me but if I had the option I would prefer a clean screen without Face ID or the selfie camera.
    Well there likely isn’t a person on earth who would prefer the workarounds that reduce screen ratio. The notches are just compromises until the preferred solution is devised.
    byronl
  • Reply 7 of 9
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 940member
    dewme said:
    No big deal. The Dynamic Island still has legs for another release cycle or two, especially if they drop it into the non-pro models.
    Dynamic Island will take its place with 3D Touch in the iPhone Good Ideas That Failed Hall of Fame. And it will fail for the same reason as 3D Touch: lack of support in 3rd party apps and not even great support in Apple native apps. I'm not visually bothered by the Island, nor was I bothered by the notch, but with Samsung having figured out both Face ID and Touch ID beneath the screen, I wonder why this is proving to be such a technological challenge for Apple. 
  • Reply 8 of 9
    charlesn said:
    dewme said:
    Dynamic Island will take its place with 3D Touch in the iPhone Good Ideas That Failed Hall of Fame. And it will fail for the same reason as 3D Touch: lack of support in 3rd party apps and not even great support in Apple native apps. I'm not visually bothered by the Island, nor was I bothered by the notch, but with Samsung having figured out both Face ID and Touch ID beneath the screen, I wonder why this is proving to be such a technological challenge for Apple. 
    I don't think Samsung has figured out Face ID. Only ZTE has launched it's 4th generation of under display front camera, which is still not good enough as a selfie camera.