Apple Watch study says you need to get more sleep

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,791member
    One issue with a study like this is exactly what happened to me last night. I went to bed a little later than normal, but not much, and my alarm went off at me regular time. However, I stopped the alarm and kept sleeping to another 2 hours. The problem is the watch stopped my sleep tracking at the time my alarm was set for and didn’t register the additional 2 hours. As such it shows I only had 6 hours 15 minutes of sleep, when the reality is I had over 8. Maybe this is an anomaly but if something similar happens enough times to enough people it can easily throw off the study. 
    That isn’t expected behavior. My AW records when I’m sleeping, not when my alarms are designated.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,791member
    dewme said:
    cm477 said:
    dewme said:
    This is shocking. Umm, not. Next thing you know they’re going to do is conduct an extensive survey to tell us that a lot of those folks who aren’t sleeping enough are also under a lot of stress, suffering from anxiety, or they over-stimulated by devices and gadgets that spew media, entertainment, and doom & gloom into their eyes and ears 24x7x365. Sorry for the negative slant on this, but I didn’t get enough sleep last night - and for the past 20 years. 
    While this may seem obvious, it is helpful to get evidence so we can make informed conclusions, recommendations, interventions etc. That's why we call it evidence-based medicine, and technology is helping us gather data. We don't have answers for everything, but we are trying our best. 

This particular sleep related survey is probably one of hundreds or maybe thousands that all lead to the same exact conclusion - we all don't get enough sleep. Apple conducting another sampling to confirm once again what we already know to be true is simply adding more evidence to the pile of evidence we already have. Is this additional evidence going to contribute anything beyond what we already know that will possibly change the outcome? I hope so but I'm not holding my breath.

I see most of these sleep monitors in much the same way as I see weight scales, and especially "smart scales." Do you really need a smart scale to know that you're fat?  Not fitting into your pants is to weight as fighting to stay awake at 3:00 pm in the afternoon is to sleep. The smart device isn't the key to change, dealing with the underlying behavior or condition is. If the device and what it's telling you is truly telling you something you don't already know, and if you are committed to taking steps to meet targets the device sets for you, and if you are seeing benefits from the changes to your behavior and/or professionally recommended treatment - life is good.

I'm not at all belittling the results of the Apple survey in question. I'm just saying that it is repeating what we already know. I must also add that some of the probable contributing factors to sleep deficiency, at least in younger adults and children, are due to misuse or overuse of the devices that Apple profits tremendously from, including iPhones and iPads. Apple knows this and has taken steps to reduce the overuse of such devices. But it's so much more than the devices themselves. It's more about where the devices take them, like social media and doom-scrolling, places where the devices make it so easy to ignore basic human needs like daily restorative sleep. Is a smart watch or sleep monitor going to be the antivenom that helps them break unhealthy habits? For a few, maybe, but for the masses of sleepy people, probably not.

One thing I must emphasize is that this is not a problem that Apple or any device maker can solve. It goes far beyond anything that Apple can directly influence.

You’re confused, this isn’t a sleep study, it’s a cardiovascular study, and they released a report on one aspect of the data collected, because it’s entirely relevant to heart health — lack sleep is being tied to cardiovascular health and mortality. Ignore it at your own peril, or use your Watch’s reporting to try to improve your behavior.

”You can’t improve what you don’t measure.”

Smart scales also have value. Besides weight, they help me track my body composition, which is as useful. It may surprise you some of us want to gain “weight”, but more importantly lean mass. You need a way to measure body fat. Smart scales aren’t 100% accurate but are good enough for trends (I’ve retired my calipers). 

Sounds like you don’t understand why people use the tools you’re complaining about.