Meta cuts another 10,000 jobs in 'year of efficiency'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,126member
    Dooofus said:
    Wow! I thought I was an outlier when I quit Facebook last year after receiving a 24 hour ban for posting a pic of Jeffery Dahmer at Five Guys.
    No, I'm pretty sure that makes you an outlier!  :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 28
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    NOW would be a good time for Musk to step in, buy Meta, and show Zuck how it's done!
    They’re not that different. Both of them are falsely thought of as tech geniuses.

https://youtu.be/oVj4kZF-Fgk
    DAalsethbaconstang9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    ‘Year of efficiency’ LOL

Nice code for ‘stop the bleeding.’

Everything is spin these days. So lame. At least one social media company was honest about why it had to lay folks off. 

thats what happens when you put money where you can’t manage, can’t innovate, and promise things you just pulled out of your rear to pretend to be a big player on the level of Apple. 

Facebook built a decent social media platform, got greedy with user privacy data, got political, got corrupt, then wanted to add some pretend shine to their filthy image. So they sold a dream they weren’t equipped to execute. And now an unbelievable amount of people are unemployed. 

What a mess. 
    edited March 2023 FileMakerFellerBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 28
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    blastdoor said:
    If they were to fire everybody working to make the world a worse place, and kept only those working to make the world a better place (or at least doing no harm), I think they could get down to maybe 2k employees. The only real good that comes from Facebook is sharing pictures with grandparents and saying happy birthday to people. You don't need tons of folks to run a site that does that. The rest of it is anti-social manipulation. 
    I don’t know about that. From 2013 to 2018 I ran a small private Facebook group of just 12 people, all investors with different styles who had Apple as an investment in common.  I invited each of them from a private message board run by an egomaniac who wanted to charge members a percentage of our investing profits each year for the time he spent developing his own, rather crappy, message board software.  Facebook groups offered us a dead simple way to exit that mess and communicate, post investment news stories, share ideas and teach each other options trading strategies.  We’d looked at Slack, but Slack, at that time, was crap. Maybe still is.  Point is, Facebook can be a useful tool if you ignore the general population and create your own space within it.  
    9secondkox2OferFileMakerFellerAlex_VBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 28
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    blastdoor said:
    If they were to fire everybody working to make the world a worse place, and kept only those working to make the world a better place (or at least doing no harm), I think they could get down to maybe 2k employees. The only real good that comes from Facebook is sharing pictures with grandparents and saying happy birthday to people. You don't need tons of folks to run a site that does that. The rest of it is anti-social manipulation. 
    I don’t know about that. From 2013 to 2018 I ran a small private Facebook group of just 12 people, all investors with different styles who had Apple as an investment in common.  I invited each of them from a private message board run by an egomaniac who wanted to charge members a percentage of our investing profits each year for the time he spent developing his own, rather crappy, message board software.  Facebook groups offered us a dead simple way to exit that mess and communicate, post investment news stories, share ideas and teach each other options trading strategies.  We’d looked at Slack, but Slack, at that time, was crap. Maybe still is.  Point is, Facebook can be a useful tool if you ignore the general population and create your own space within it.  
    We did the slack thing. Hot mess. At least until you get used to it. FB Groups are great for newbies and long time users. 

Facebook as a concept is probably the most well rounded platform from inception as well as how it’s grown its media strategies. It’s some of the policies Gand overreach that make it a chore. And the whole Metaverse thing was an obvious fail the moment it was announced unfortunately. 
    edited March 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 28
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    blastdoor said:
    We did the slack thing. Hot mess. At least until you get used to it. FB Groups are great for newbies and long time users. 
    Funny, I find it the reverse. The Slack interface is tailor made for handling communication groups which come and go. Reminds me of IRC, but much easier to curate groups and navigate using a modern UI (rather than commands, which are great for power users, but not so inviting for newbies).

Facebook's app, otoh, seems designed to keep you from getting to what you want to ensure you see at least some ads. Though I admit that I haven't used FB groups much. I'd probably use them more if I didn't need to navigate through the main UI to get to them. I much prefer a streamlined, native platform style UI over navigating through a half dozen web pages/sandwich menus which are randomly organized/popovers to find things. Even though Slack is web-based, they've done a good job of making it feel like a native app which leverages the efficiency of native UI paradigms (i.e. minimizing the number navigation steps, putting things in places you've come to expect, etc).
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 28
    bala1234bala1234 Posts: 145member
    auxio said:
    bala1234 said:
    "I don't wanna stop being a dick and following my ego with this metaverse wet dream, so I'm gonna ruin people's livelihoods instead!"

This guy is VILE!

I support the sentiment. But just to give a perspective from other side, with ATT decimating their ad revenue (Yay!) he had to pivot. It is also well documented that he wants to pivot to something where another company cannot control its fortunes as much as Apple does now.
    How about creating a real product that people would actually pay money for instead of being propped up by data harvesting and advertising?

I'm not a fan of metaverse pivot, just making the argument from their perspective. But it does involve facebookmeta's own hardware, Quest et al costs real money. Although to your point data harvesting and advertising still seem to be very much part of the revenue plans
    watto_cobra