Kremlin says nyet to iPhone ahead of presidential election

Posted:
in iPhone
The Russian government has told officials preparing for the country's 2024 presidential election not to use iPhones, because there is worry that spies have hacked the phones.

Moscow
Moscow


Russia is gearing up for another presidential election in 2024, but preparations for it have involved a message to tighten security, and that includes ditching the iPhone.

Sergei Kiriyenko, the first deputy head of the presidential administration, informed domestic political officials at a government seminar that they will need to switch to different phones by April 1, reported russian newspaper Kommersant according to Reuters.

"It's all over for the iPhone: either throw it away or give it to the children," one unnamed meeting participant allegedly said. "Everyone will have to do it in March."

A Kremlin spokesman claimed he couldn't confirm the report, but insisted that smartphones shouldn't be used for official business. "Any smartphone has a fairly transparent mechanism, no matter what operating system it has - Android or iOS. Naturally, they are not used for official purposes," said spokesman Dmitry Peskov.

To aid with the change, the government is expected to issue other smartphones. Also, while the order applies against officials working in domestic politics, it may not affect those working in other areas of government.

The accusation of spying by Western intelligence agencies isn't the first time that Apple has been roped into claims of interference in Russian political affairs.

In 2021, Russian watchdog group Roskomnadzor demanded that Apple and Google remove an app by opposition leader Alexi Navalny, under claims it was promoting an "extremist organization." Apple later restored the app.

In March 2022, it was alleged that Russian agents used old-school threats to demand the removal of a protest vote app, including visits to executive homes and a threat of prison.

Read on AppleInsider
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 24
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,344member
    I would hope that buying any new smartphone would be impossible in Russia now due to sanctions. But I don’t know if that’s the case. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 24
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,802member
    When you live in a fascist kleptocracy, everyone is paranoid.

    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 24
    blastdoor said:
    I would hope that buying any new smartphone would be impossible in Russia now due to sanctions. But I don’t know if that’s the case. 
    China will happily supply all the smartphones they need.
    baconstangwilliamlondonkillroyjony0
  • Reply 5 of 24
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,257member
    blastdoor said:
    I would hope that buying any new smartphone would be impossible in Russia now due to sanctions. But I don’t know if that’s the case. 
    China will happily supply all the smartphones they need.
    With all the spying software Russia demands. 
    baconstangkillroywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,753member
    flydog said:
    Ha! Yes. Things have reached near hysteria levels. 

    This is from a few years ago:

    https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/senators-propose-ban-on-huawei-solar-inverters-citing-national-security-thr#gs.kn7ije

    And this from further back:

    https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-30378966.html

    How long before a 'National Security' card gets into Monopoly? LOL
    ctt_zh
  • Reply 7 of 24
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,304member
    rob53 said:
    blastdoor said:
    I would hope that buying any new smartphone would be impossible in Russia now due to sanctions. But I don’t know if that’s the case. 
    China will happily supply all the smartphones they need.
    With all the spying software Russia demands. 

    Agree, I suspect they want everyone on Chinese android devices because they have plans for internal surveillance.

    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,367member
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:
    Ha! Yes. Things have reached near hysteria levels. 

    This is from a few years ago:

    https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/senators-propose-ban-on-huawei-solar-inverters-citing-national-security-thr#gs.kn7ije

    And this from further back:

    https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-30378966.html

    How long before a 'National Security' card gets into Monopoly? LOL
    LOL!

    Many sleepless nights for Xi as he awaited for the results fo his reelection;

    BEIJING — Chinese leader Xi Jinping was awarded a third five-year term as president Friday, putting him on track to stay in power for life at a time of severe economic challenges and rising tensions with the U.S. and others.

    The endorsement of Xi’s appointment by the ceremonial National People’s Congress was a foregone conclusion for a leader who has sidelined potential rivals and filled the top ranks of the ruling Communist Party with his supporters since taking power in 2012.

    The vote for Xi was 2,952 to 0 by the NPC, members of which are appointed by the ruling party.

    Xi, 69, had himself named to a third five-year term as party general secretary in October, breaking with a tradition under which Chinese leaders handed over power once a decade. A two-term limit on the figurehead presidency was deleted from the Chinese constitution earlier, prompting suggestions he might stay in power for life.

    The U.S., and its allies, consider installation of critical infrastructure sourced from authoritarian adversaries to be of concern, especially those driven by mercantilist policies of China's State Owned Enterprises with the goal of reducing Western competition. See Huawei Telecom, noted Chinese State Owned Enterprise.

    Hence why Germany, whose primary trading partner is China, has been so slow to pull Huawei telecom equipment from its infrastructure, even though there were EU based companies that could provide the same, albeit at a higher cost.

    https://www.npr.org/2023/03/08/1154315168/germany-china-huawei-restrictions

    "The 5G decision should have been the easy part and should have been done long ago," says Thorsten Benner, director of the Global Public Policy Institute in Berlin. "You don't make yourself dependent on companies that are beholden to the Chinese party-state, because that would repeat mistakes we've made with Russia."

    A ban would make Germany the latest European country, albeit the largest economy and with the closest commercial ties, to sour on China. Analysts and experts say this is a trend expected to accelerate in the coming years, as China's ties with the U.S. especially — and the West in general — sour over everything from trade and human rights, to support for Russia in its war in Ukraine, and over Taiwan.


    China just can't get a break...
    edited March 2023 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:
    Ha! Yes. Things have reached near hysteria levels. 

    This is from a few years ago:

    https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/senators-propose-ban-on-huawei-solar-inverters-citing-national-security-thr#gs.kn7ije

    And this from further back:

    https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-30378966.html

    How long before a 'National Security' card gets into Monopoly? LOL
    You really love the moral equivalency thing don’t you. Totalitarianism and Democracy are the same thing in your mind. No difference. Well, since you think there’s no difference you may get your wish if Section 230 is repealed. AppleInsider management has already said if that happens there will little choice but to shut down the forums out of fear of lawsuits. Then where would you spout your moral equivalency.
    edited March 2023 tmaywilliamlondonkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,753member
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:
    Ha! Yes. Things have reached near hysteria levels. 

    This is from a few years ago:

    https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/senators-propose-ban-on-huawei-solar-inverters-citing-national-security-thr#gs.kn7ije

    And this from further back:

    https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-30378966.html

    How long before a 'National Security' card gets into Monopoly? LOL
    You really love the moral equivalency thing don’t you. Totalitarianism and Democracy are the same thing in your mind. No difference. Well, since you think there’s no difference you may get your wish if Section 230 is repealed. AppleInsider management has already said if that happens there will little choice but to shut down the forums out of fear of lawsuits. Then where would you spout your moral equivalency.
    What does any of that have to do with the US (or any other government) being paranoid?

    I'm not drawing moral equivalency. I'm highlighting examples. 

    It's not the end of the world. 
    lkrupp
  • Reply 11 of 24
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,736member
    The Russian government has told officials preparing for the country's 2024 presidential election not to use iPhones, because there is worry that they won't be able to control the content and monitor people using spies have hacked the phones.
    Added the redacted text
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 24
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,966member
    iPhones have been hacked long time ago thanks to the NSA and the Israeli Secret Service, done deal and have long ago been sold to any bad actors who wanted to hack an iPhone, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Turkey, China, Russia, Pakistan, various criminal organizations, and USA.
    edited March 2023
  • Reply 13 of 24
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,736member
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:
    Ha! Yes. Things have reached near hysteria levels. 

    This is from a few years ago:

    https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/senators-propose-ban-on-huawei-solar-inverters-citing-national-security-thr#gs.kn7ije

    And this from further back:

    https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-30378966.html

    How long before a 'National Security' card gets into Monopoly? LOL
    I agree that the national security thing is joke on both sides. If either side really wanted to, they could monitor all the communications done by the phone to ensure that it wasn't sending anything it wasn't supposed to. Monitor everything and where it's going, and if there's something you don't know (i.e. it's encrypted), then get the company to explain it and have analysts validate the explanation. This would allow them to give proof rather than just speculation.

    That said, it's a known fact that China and Russia vigorously control what information flows in their countries. Particularly information critical of the government. Now one can argue that the US does the same thing via large media companies putting a "spin" on information which is critical of their government, which leads most people to the conclusion that the information is invalid (and in democracy, all you need is to convince the majority of people about something). However, that's still not the same thing as actively censoring information and trying to imprison/eliminate people who spread it. And I'm not talking about classified documents (ala Snowden), just people being critical of a government's actions.

    So you can keep doing these equivalency experiments, but I'll never believe that a government which needs to censor and control critics is a valid government.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,438member
    Love how people think that USA is doing the same when in reality, it's not. 

    China has full control over the Internet. USA doesn't. 

    US FBI have complained how Apple refuses to build a backdoor. Apple said no and it's been respected. In China, you have no choice. 

    You have right to encryption, not so in China where most of the traffic has to be non-SSL. 

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_China
     


    tmaydewmewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 15 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    netrox said:
    Love how people think that USA is doing the same when in reality, it's not. 

    China has full control over the Internet. USA doesn't. 

    US FBI have complained how Apple refuses to build a backdoor. Apple said no and it's been respected. In China, you have no choice. 

    You have right to encryption, not so in China where most of the traffic has to be non-SSL. 

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_China
     


    Yes, ever notice that when a totalitarian dictatorship (Russia, China, Iran) is called out for being evil the usual suspects here come to their defense by saying “the West does it too”. It’s like death and taxes, you can count on them showing up almost immediately.
    edited March 2023 tmaydewmewilliamlondonnetroxwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 16 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:
    Ha! Yes. Things have reached near hysteria levels. 

    This is from a few years ago:

    https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/senators-propose-ban-on-huawei-solar-inverters-citing-national-security-thr#gs.kn7ije

    And this from further back:

    https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-30378966.html

    How long before a 'National Security' card gets into Monopoly? LOL
    You really love the moral equivalency thing don’t you. Totalitarianism and Democracy are the same thing in your mind. No difference. Well, since you think there’s no difference you may get your wish if Section 230 is repealed. AppleInsider management has already said if that happens there will little choice but to shut down the forums out of fear of lawsuits. Then where would you spout your moral equivalency.
    What does any of that have to do with the US (or any other government) being paranoid?

    I'm not drawing moral equivalency. I'm highlighting examples. 

    It's not the end of the world. 
    The hell you’re not. You are ‘johnny on the spot’ whenever the subject comes up, ready with links to show the U.S. is just a s bad as China. You revel in it. Russia just banned the iPhone and here you are with links about your favorite object of desire, Huawei, and how it has been mistreated by the evil U.S. government. What a piece of work you are.
    tmayJapheywilliamlondonkillroywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 17 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,753member
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:
    Ha! Yes. Things have reached near hysteria levels. 

    This is from a few years ago:

    https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/senators-propose-ban-on-huawei-solar-inverters-citing-national-security-thr#gs.kn7ije

    And this from further back:

    https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-30378966.html

    How long before a 'National Security' card gets into Monopoly? LOL
    You really love the moral equivalency thing don’t you. Totalitarianism and Democracy are the same thing in your mind. No difference. Well, since you think there’s no difference you may get your wish if Section 230 is repealed. AppleInsider management has already said if that happens there will little choice but to shut down the forums out of fear of lawsuits. Then where would you spout your moral equivalency.
    What does any of that have to do with the US (or any other government) being paranoid?

    I'm not drawing moral equivalency. I'm highlighting examples. 

    It's not the end of the world. 
    The hell you’re not. You are ‘johnny on the spot’ whenever the subject comes up, ready with links to show the U.S. is just a s bad as China. You revel in it. Russia just banned the iPhone and here you are with links about your favorite object of desire, Huawei, and how it has been mistreated by the evil U.S. government. What a piece of work you are.
    Again. Barking up the wrong tree. Paranoia has nothing to do with what type of government is in place. 

    Both links made that clear. 


    edited March 2023 ctt_zhlkrupp
  • Reply 18 of 24
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,367member
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:
    Ha! Yes. Things have reached near hysteria levels. 

    This is from a few years ago:

    https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/senators-propose-ban-on-huawei-solar-inverters-citing-national-security-thr#gs.kn7ije

    And this from further back:

    https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-30378966.html

    How long before a 'National Security' card gets into Monopoly? LOL
    You really love the moral equivalency thing don’t you. Totalitarianism and Democracy are the same thing in your mind. No difference. Well, since you think there’s no difference you may get your wish if Section 230 is repealed. AppleInsider management has already said if that happens there will little choice but to shut down the forums out of fear of lawsuits. Then where would you spout your moral equivalency.
    What does any of that have to do with the US (or any other government) being paranoid?

    I'm not drawing moral equivalency. I'm highlighting examples. 

    It's not the end of the world. 
    The hell you’re not. You are ‘johnny on the spot’ whenever the subject comes up, ready with links to show the U.S. is just a s bad as China. You revel in it. Russia just banned the iPhone and here you are with links about your favorite object of desire, Huawei, and how it has been mistreated by the evil U.S. government. What a piece of work you are.
    Again. Barking up the wrong tree. Paranoia has nothing to do with what type of government is in place. 

    Both links made that clear. 


    Actually, there is a substantial difference between spying on Chinese Citizens by the Chinese Government, and spying on U.S. Citizens by the U.S. Government, or even how these countries are allowed to spy on foreigners.

    So while paranoia about domestic and foreign government spying is the "same" by consumers, in reality, the West has many more controls over whom is spied on, where they are allowed to be spied on, how the data is collected, how the data is stored, and how data is dispersed. Of course, you are aware of that, and would agree that Xi Jinping and Putin have the ability to spy on anyone they want, foreign or domestic, without question, anytime, with the assistance of any Chinese company, including Huawei.

    I'm quite certain that Donald Trump previously, and Joe Biden currently, have not had that ability. 
    lkruppwilliamlondonkillroywatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,753member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:
    Ha! Yes. Things have reached near hysteria levels. 

    This is from a few years ago:

    https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/senators-propose-ban-on-huawei-solar-inverters-citing-national-security-thr#gs.kn7ije

    And this from further back:

    https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-30378966.html

    How long before a 'National Security' card gets into Monopoly? LOL
    You really love the moral equivalency thing don’t you. Totalitarianism and Democracy are the same thing in your mind. No difference. Well, since you think there’s no difference you may get your wish if Section 230 is repealed. AppleInsider management has already said if that happens there will little choice but to shut down the forums out of fear of lawsuits. Then where would you spout your moral equivalency.
    What does any of that have to do with the US (or any other government) being paranoid?

    I'm not drawing moral equivalency. I'm highlighting examples. 

    It's not the end of the world. 
    The hell you’re not. You are ‘johnny on the spot’ whenever the subject comes up, ready with links to show the U.S. is just a s bad as China. You revel in it. Russia just banned the iPhone and here you are with links about your favorite object of desire, Huawei, and how it has been mistreated by the evil U.S. government. What a piece of work you are.
    Again. Barking up the wrong tree. Paranoia has nothing to do with what type of government is in place. 

    Both links made that clear. 


    Actually, there is a substantial difference between spying on Chinese Citizens by the Chinese Government, and spying on U.S. Citizens by the U.S. Government, or even how these countries are allowed to spy on foreigners.

    So while paranoia about domestic and foreign government spying is the "same" by consumers, in reality, the West has many more controls over whom is spied on, where they are allowed to be spied on, how the data is collected, how the data is stored, and how data is dispersed. Of course, you are aware of that, and would agree that Xi Jinping and Putin have the ability to spy on anyone they want, foreign or domestic, without question, anytime, with the assistance of any Chinese company, including Huawei.

    I'm quite certain that Donald Trump previously, and Joe Biden currently, have not had that ability. 
    In a word. Snowden. 

    Or another, Crypto AG. 

    I'm sure you would have been equally sure of things before he blew the top off of those particular cans of worms.

    But this isn't about politics, for as much as you want it to be. It's a response to the notion of paranoia, independently of political colours, types of government or whatnot. 
    edited March 2023 muthuk_vanalingamlkrupp
  • Reply 20 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,416member
    The claim that iPhones in general are spying on Russians is just as valid as saying that Russia is going to have a presidential election in 2024. The winner of that “election” is already known. Only one “vote” counts. 
    edited March 2023 killroywatto_cobrajony0
Sign In or Register to comment.