Leaked iPhone 15 Pro images back up solid state button rumor

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 33
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    The iPhone ring button was a genius idea. One that could remain on the iPhone 50 years in the future and still make sense. Removing it in favor of a button that needs a press or long press to change status doesn’t make sense. Really Apple should have other priorities than making the user experience worse. 
  • Reply 22 of 33
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 934member
    Physical switch’s break. 

    Eliminating a potential equipment failure is terrific. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 33
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    JFC_PA said:
    Physical switch’s break. 

    Eliminating a potential equipment failure is terrific. 
    In my experience, if I have a problem with an Apple device it's far more likely to be to do with software than hardware.  I've never had any problems with a ringer switch across 16 years of iPhones.
    M68000williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 33
    I think the volume buttons and the mute button are genius, and I hope apple don’t do anything to make them less useful. The mute button is super handy while in meeting to be able to mute the phone in the pocket without even looking at the phone. I guess a button would work since the phone vibrates when you press do silent mode. But I’m afraid Apple will somehow make this function less useful. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 33
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,466member
    DAalseth said:
    What about cases? The case on my iPhone covers the buttons to protect them. This means that I can’t touch them any more. Are case makers going to have to leave openings where the buttons are? 
    Depends on the implementation. If they use load cells to detect a press, like most small weigh scales use, it should not matter if you’re wearing gloves or if the case provides physical buttons. 

    Fwiw I despise the power button being on the side of the phone. Even if the phone were 10 inches tall I don’t want the power/payment button on the side. Double clicking a side button never feels right because you’re gripping the phone from the side. It also makes taking pictures and videos in landscape mode needlessly convoluted, which is really sad because portrait oriented videos always suck so Apple should not be doing anything to encourage that hideous practice. 
    edited March 2023 robin huberDAalsethjasonfj
  • Reply 26 of 33
    maclin3maclin3 Posts: 24member
    If you like the current mute switch you probably don’t have, 1) short fingernails, 2) large hands or 3) don’t have a case. The current mute switch implementation has been annoying to operate since it’s inception and good luck seeing the orange chip if you have a red phone or a case,  I think a solid state switch with option for a long-touch with haptic feedback would be great.
    As for the volume controls, I wonder if they could implement a slider effect using the solid state button? Also, many people use the volume+power buttons to take screenshots. How would this work if all buttons are solid state?
    JP234
  • Reply 27 of 33
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,828member
    dewme said:
    DAalseth said:
    What about cases? The case on my iPhone covers the buttons to protect them. This means that I can’t touch them any more. Are case makers going to have to leave openings where the buttons are? 
    Fwiw I despise the power button being on the side of the phone. Even if the phone were 10 inches tall I don’t want the power/payment button on the side. Double clicking a side button never feels right because you’re gripping the phone from the side. It also makes taking pictures and videos in landscape mode needlessly convoluted, which is really sad because portrait oriented videos always suck so Apple should not be doing anything to encourage that hideous practice. 
    I agree about the side buttons. Especially because power button is directly across from the volume buttons. I have taken so many accidental screen shots when I was trying to tap the power button, or trying to change the volume. It’s a terrible design. 
    maclin3JP234williamlondondewme
  • Reply 28 of 33
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 568member
    maclin3 said:
    If you like the current mute switch you probably don’t have, 1) short fingernails, 2) large hands or 3) don’t have a case. The current mute switch implementation has been annoying to operate since it’s inception and good luck seeing the orange chip if you have a red phone or a case,  I think a solid state switch with option for a long-touch with haptic feedback would be great.
    As for the volume controls, I wonder if they could implement a slider effect using the solid state button? Also, many people use the volume+power buttons to take screenshots. How would this work if all buttons are solid state?
    I have short fingernails, large hands and a case and I’m very happy with the current mute switch. 

    But then I have a black phone and case, so that must be why. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 33
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    chutzpah said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Physical switch’s break. 

    Eliminating a potential equipment failure is terrific. 
    In my experience, if I have a problem with an Apple device it's far more likely to be to do with software than hardware.  I've never had any problems with a ringer switch across 16 years of iPhones.
    I have never had an Apple branded lightning or usb-c cable break or fail on me, but there are a ton of people that have had it happen to them. Shit happens as people all handle their devices in different ways. 

    JFC_PA
  • Reply 30 of 33
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    jcs2305 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Physical switch’s break. 

    Eliminating a potential equipment failure is terrific. 
    In my experience, if I have a problem with an Apple device it's far more likely to be to do with software than hardware.  I've never had any problems with a ringer switch across 16 years of iPhones.
    I have never had an Apple branded lightning or usb-c cable break or fail on me, but there are a ton of people that have had it happen to them. Shit happens as people all handle their devices in different ways. 
    True enough, but I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with the ringer switch either.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 904member
    I have no issues with mute. I’m talking volume. 

    for example, you took a video of your dogs playing and wrestling outside, then you want to show it to your wife who’s rocking the baby to sleep. So you preset the volume just audible enough so she can hear the sound, but then accidentally graze the volume up capacitor and boom. Baby is awake and crying all over the place and your wife is now upset at you and you learn that yes, you really did marry an exa murderer. 

    Much better to have physical volume keys - while not entirely capable of avoiding unintended selection, are 100% better at this than capacitive touch. Sheesh. 
    You are misunderstanding how this haptic volume button would work. It is NOT going to be capacitative touch, where you slide you finger up to raise volume and slide it down to decrease volume. There will be no "accidental grazing" of the volume control. You will push on the upper part of the button to raise volume and push on the lower part of the button to descrease it. This pushes will require about the same force to activate as the mechanical buttons do now and they will feel as if you're pushing a mechanical button... but it's all a solid state illusion, just like "clicking" on a Macbook trackpad requires the same force and feels like a mechanical click, but it isn't. 
  • Reply 32 of 33
    HrebHreb Posts: 84member
    Two things about this rumor make no sense.  First, haptic feedback solves the problem that you need to be able to tell when the control has been engaged, but it doesn't provide any tactile feedback about the current state of the toggle.  For a mute button, this is essential.  If I can't tell whether my phone is in silent mode or not without taking it out of my pocket, that's a major problem.
    Second, it makes no sense that a solid state (non-tactile) mute button would debut on the Pro models only.  This is going to come across -- to buyers -- as a cost saving measure and might make sense for the next generate of the SE.  But for any premium smartphone, having a physical mute button is one of the features that sets them apart from cheap Samsung phones.  This will make the macbook touch bar digression look like one of Ive's greatest hits.
Sign In or Register to comment.