Amazon slashing 9,000 more jobs in fresh round of layoffs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    Robots/AI are not consumers. Over-reliance on them = economic collapse. 
    The economy will never collapse. Business is dual sided. Business requires consumers to survive. If people lost work and have no money to spend, business will find a way to sell its goods. Never to be fearful if you are adaptive. 
  • Reply 22 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    lkrupp said:
    So millennials are finding out how the world really works, that no job is secure, that all this talk about how companies value employees is bullshit. You didn’t want to come back to work at the office but wanted to remain cozy working at home with your pet cat on your lap. It’s the BOTTOM LINE, baby, the bottom line. Get used to it, You’ll be switching jobs every few years for the rest of your lives with no security, no perks, no free lunches and lattes. Think joining a union will make it all better? Hardy har har. The SCOTUS is likely to shitcan your hopes of getting your student loan debt laid on the backs of taxpayers. $400 billion? Think again. 

The world will continue to need electricians, plumbers, brick masons, welders, carpenters, big equipment operators for the foreseeable future, not so much programmers, data entry workers, marketing types, even certain engineering fields as AI will see to that. It’ll be awhile until Boston Dynamics comes up with a robot that can wire and plumb a new home.

End rant from a 73 year old curmudgeon.
    52 here.   I wholly agree.  I skip 99 percent of ChatGPT articles filled with puffery and nonsense.    Wake me up when AI can get in my crawl space and re-route some plumbing or get on my roof to get some work done.  I'm throughly over the ideal that some stiff in a cubicle is going to change the world more than the person with boots on/off the ground getting the labor done.  I have an 8 and 9.5 year old and they will not graduate HS without knowing how to operate workshop gear and how electricity works amongst other things.  I'll be damned if I let them fall for Suckerbergs  2nd Life remix.  No desire to live even partially in some virtual world ..we've already been there and done that with illegal drugs. 

dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 23
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,872member
    lkrupp said:
    So millennials are finding out how the world really works, that no job is secure, that all this talk about how companies value employees is bullshit. You didn’t want to come back to work at the office but wanted to remain cozy working at home with your pet cat on your lap. It’s the BOTTOM LINE, baby, the bottom line. Get used to it, You’ll be switching jobs every few years for the rest of your lives with no security, no perks, no free lunches and lattes. Think joining a union will make it all better? Hardy har har. The SCOTUS is likely to shitcan your hopes of getting your student loan debt laid on the backs of taxpayers. $400 billion? Think again. 

The world will continue to need electricians, plumbers, brick masons, welders, carpenters, big equipment operators for the foreseeable future, not so much programmers, data entry workers, marketing types, even certain engineering fields as AI will see to that. It’ll be awhile until Boston Dynamics comes up with a robot that can wire and plumb a new home.

End rant from a 73 year old curmudgeon.
    52 here.   I wholly agree.  I skip 99 percent of ChatGPT articles filled with puffery and nonsense.    Wake me up when AI can get in my crawl space and re-route some plumbing or get on my roof to get some work done.  I'm throughly over the ideal that some stiff in a cubicle is going to change the world more than the person with boots on/off the ground getting the labor done.  I have an 8 and 9.5 year old and they will not graduate HS without knowing how to operate workshop gear and how electricity works amongst other things.  I'll be damned if I let them fall for Suckerbergs  2nd Life remix.  No desire to live even partially in some virtual world ..we've already been there and done that with illegal drugs. 

Steer them into the trades or healthcare, if they’re going to work for someone, and junior colleges are very good for learning things, and avoiding all that student debt. And last but not least maximize all contributions to a 401(k) plan as early as possible.