Epic CEO fears Apple's influence over the metaverse

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    The only thing Epic should fear is retaining this bozo as their CEO...

If he would only focus on making great products and services instead of constantly pissing and moaning about Apple. We don't really see any other major company having the same issues Epic Games apparently experiencing. I don't think Apple is the issue here...
    edited March 2023 ravnorodomradarthekatBart Ywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 49
    dewme said:
    This guy should seek professional help.

Unless of course his entire existence is a deep fake. 
    Or AI generated. 
    chadbagBart Ywatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 49
    I think Epic should build everything (platform) from Zero.
    radarthekatBart Ywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 49
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    larryjw said:
    The major factor is metaverse. Buzzword compliant. Nonsense repeated is still nonsense.

Metaverse is not just a buzzword. It's a whole new facet of the internet that is emerging involving VR/AR environments.

edited March 2023
  • Reply 25 of 49
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member

Hmmm, a for-profit company complaining about a for-profit company. Go figure!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 49
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Sweeney the Chinese spy should be in Congress with that Tik Tok guy today

epic games is owned by Chinese communist party 

full stop 
    edited March 2023 badmonkbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 49
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Translation: “Why can’t *we* be a platform? Waaah!”
    bloggerblogbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 49
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    auxio said:
    avon b7 said:
    r_mari said:
    EPIC's CEO is an idiot.

The Metaverse will not exist without Apple's participation.
    Apple will create the Metaverse that people want to use.
    Only Apple can create the glasses that people will want to use to access the Metaverse.

Even Facebook has given up on the Metaverse.
    They realize that they cannot do it alone without Apple's help.
    I can guarantee you that the metaverse can exist without Apple. The baby steps have already been taken but the goal of a seamless metaverse cannot exist without 5.5G and some serious grunt on the part of the carriers and infrastructure providers. It's not going anywhere without that. MWC2023 had some great examples of ultra-high bandwidth, low latency interaction using backbone technologies that are coming to market. 

The question beyond that is if you want multiple metaverses (AKA Apple metaverse) or something standardised.

An Apple metaverse would be quite limited as it is a terminal device manufacturer and the notion of a true metaverse really depends on data (content) and moving it around in quantity, at speed and keeping latency very low.
    Nothing in that statement would be limited by Apple, should they choose to be involved. They're not the ones who cut corners on using high quality hardware (and optimizing their software for that hardware) to ensure a smooth experience.

That data should ideally be universal so I hope things move forward following standards and preferably open standards. 

No blue vs green avatars. LOL. 
    Apple will use open standards where it makes sense to do so. I mean, it's not like they rolled their own TCP/IP stack for networking or came up with their own version of HTML for the web.

That said, they'll protect the areas where they invest in R&D heavily and come up with things which companies/people who are only fixated on technical details instead of the human experience wouldn't (but will be quick to dismiss as obvious or not as important). They're not an advertising company masquerading as a technology company who can give away their work and fund it via data harvesting. And they're also not the type of company which waits for everyone else to do the hard work and then cries that it should be open source and/or finds a way to clone and own it.

I know that it's difficult for the people whose minds only see algorithms and technical details to comprehend, but there's more to creating a great technology than the sum of its parts. Those insights into the human experience which differentiate truly great products from good ones aren't just obvious details. But I can see how it's easy for some to be envious and want to belittle it.
    Apple didn't re-invent networking. It basically did the opposite by dropping it's native solutions in favour of standards based solutions. A good move. 

HTML is a little different in that Apple has tried to keep WebKit as the framework for HTML on iOS. Not allowing other web frameworks is something that is being looked at by some authorities. Not a good move. 

As far as QoS is concerned, Apple is going to be reliant on what carriers provide and XR absolutely depends on that. Until that is in place no one can do much. Realistically, it will require FTTR/5.5G/6G to deliver a decent experience. 

Also, in data terms, XR is completely different to what the current internet based services offer up. It is highly dynamic and demanding in terms of latency, bandwidth needs and storage/compute capacity. There will be a lot of AI and Edge computing involved. The network itself will be a 'sensor'. IoT will play a major role. 

Apple isn't involved in any of that hence my reference to terminal devices. 

Meta's Quest platform is a baby step for VR but can perform fairly well from a pre-packaged platform perspective. Apple could do that easily if it can garner enough support for content creation.

The metaverse however, is supposed to be all encompassing* and that, by definition, is not something that lends itself to 'walled gardens'. 

At some point we should see many areas of life converge under an XR umbrella. That could take in social interaction, leisure, education, health, transport, industry etc. It will need to be fully covered by legislation too. 

I don't think anyone should try to carve of a piece of the pie and make it exclusive to any one 'platform'. 

Far better would be to develop open standards for content (the ICT part will be standardised globally anyway*) and let companies feed off of the data without trying to isolate users from each other because of 'platforms'. 

*standardisation is a given for 5/5.5G but there is a risk of geopolitical interferences leading to multiple non-interoperable standards for 6G and beyond. That would be a massive step in the wrong direction. It is also one of the theoretical reasons multiple 'metaverses' might come into existence. 

• Reply 29 of 49
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    I don't think Apple is their risk factor.

I think the fact that people are is interested in VR as they were in 3D television is the risk factor.

The number of people who want this crap in any near future is a rounding error.
    Spoken like someone who has never tried VR.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 49
    longfanglongfang Posts: 456member
    Will it even be called the Metaverse if Apple builds it?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 49
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    Unreal Engine can obviously publish to all of Apple's platforms, along with all of the major game platforms, PCs, Android, etc. — including VR platforms. Is there any reason at this point to suspect Apple won't allow developers — Epic included —  to target realityOS? 

What he's complaining about is that Apple will still take their cut on the App Store on this platform too, not that they're developing another platform. That's what he means by Walled Garden™, that they can't leverage Apple's many years of hard work for free. It's a ridiculous argument and always has been. The "metaverse" context is just more meaningless handwaving.
    bageljoeydanoxentropysradarthekatBart Ywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 49
    longfang said:
    Will it even be called the Metaverse if Apple builds it?
    eWorld? Just kidding.
    fastasleepmattinozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 49
    docbburkdocbburk Posts: 109member
    This guy is such a clown. I sincerely hope congress and regulators see him for the clown he is. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 49
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    Sweeney does have a point and it’s on the top of his head.  Apple is a roadblock to my domination of the metaverse too, and that’s because I don’t have the goods like Apple will. 
    entropysbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 49
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,862member
    larryjw said:
    The major factor is metaverse. Buzzword compliant. Nonsense repeated is still nonsense.

Like Crypto and Bitcoin, it’s a Ponzi scheme, no matter how many times people try to make it something else.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Madbum said:

full stop 
    And Google gives away Android to the east Asian countries to use in smart phones without that help they would be hopeless against Apple? What Google, Epic, Meta, Microsoft, Amazon and Spotify want is the governments helping them out with a new deck.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 49
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,167member
    danox said:
    Madbum said:

full stop 
    And Google gives away Android to the east Asian countries to use in smart phones without that help they would be hopeless against Apple? What Google, Epic, Meta, Microsoft, Amazon and Spotify want is the governments helping them out with a new deck.
    I think regather than a deck, they have a yacht in mind.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 49
    I don't think Apple is their risk factor.

I think the fact that people are is interested in VR as they were in 3D television is the risk factor.

The number of people who want this crap in any near future is a rounding error.
    Spoken like someone who has never tried VR.
    VR/AR, or whatever else you wanna call it can’t work until the OS for it and all of the hardware used with it is miniaturized, note the battery life and the computing power basically need to be the same if not better, as the latest computers made and be designed to occupy the space of a normal frame of glasses that anyone would be proud to wear without a second thought, what tech company out there do you think has that ability it isn’t? Epic, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Nvidia, AMD or Intel. The only company with the chops to do so is Apple Computer.

Which is why Sweeney Todd is crying like a customer in a barbers chair.
    baconstangBart Ywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 49
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    The bottom line is if Apple wasn’t a threat to Epic Sweeney would not waste his time. Apple must have something that Epic finds threatening and I don’t believe it’s only the AppStore 
    Bart Ywatto_cobraravnorodom
  • Reply 40 of 49
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    The bottom line is if Apple wasn’t a threat to Epic Sweeney would not waste his time. Apple must have something that Epic finds threatening and I don’t believe it’s only the AppStore 
    Who gives a F what the goddam Chinese communist spy Sweeney thinks? Fact is he is using US Justice system to take on Apple when he works for the Chinese communists.

how stupid is this government?
    williamlondonentropyswatto_cobra