Position of the Dock

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just noticed one of those things you tend to forget: the dock can be moved (left, right, bottom). I think there are not many people who choose something other than bottom, but hey, this poll's here to prove me wrong.

Poll-mania? Yes. We were a repressed poll-less people for too long now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    if i had a larger screen it would be left.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I keep mine auto-hid on the right. I like it there, because my mouse is usually on the right anyway for folders and such, so to get to it, is just a little drift to the edge of the monitor.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Mine is on the left because I want to maximize my vertical area for web page viewing. It seems like most applications work best with a lot of vertical area, but Apple seems to be pushing vertically-challenged displays + dock on the bottom. It looks nicer that way but I like the dock on the side much more. And no magnification or hiding for me.

EDIT: One other thing I thought of - putting it on the left reminds me of the Apple menu from Classic. I naturally move my mouse over to the left when I want to open a frequently used application anyway. The only problem is that the trash is in an inconvenient spot, I think I'll get that iCan program to put it on the desktop instead.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Top, you insensitive clod!

(various programs let you do this like Dock Orientation, I use it as an app switcher basically)
  • Reply 5 of 22
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Cant find the dock separators thread, so here will do. When you make them remeber that you can use just about any character in the file name. I made this nice effect (incase i made it too small the filename for the left separator is "<-- Main Apps | Net Tools -->", and the right hand one is "<-- Net Tools | Mac iApps -->")

• Reply 6 of 22
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "Mine is on the left because I want to maximize my vertical area for web page viewing. It seems like most applications work best with a lot of vertical area, but Apple seems to be pushing vertically-challenged displays + dock on the bottom. It looks nicer that way but I like the dock on the side much more. And no magnification or hiding for me."

I do the exact same thing, except that mine is on the right. For some reason I couldn't get my muscle memory to adapt to it on the left, even though that seemed a better choice AND I use FruitMenu.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    In Panther I want to have multiple identical (or separate) docks. I want to be able to wrap around corners (like half on left side of screen, half on bottom). This way I can have it snugged in a corner. I also want separators, I also want embedded folders (like a start menu system or the old Apple Menu).
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Mine is on the right side........ it's nice and comfy there! Because I have a TiPb the screen is wider and having it at the bottom takes up valuable space.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Bottom, pinned to the right, so I always know the trash won't move.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Mine is on the left because I want to maximize my vertical area for web page viewing. It seems like most applications work best with a lot of vertical area, but Apple seems to be pushing vertically-challenged displays + dock on the bottom. It looks nicer that way but I like the dock on the side much more. And no magnification or hiding for me.

Mine is on the left for web brosing too. Anyway th magnification is on : i cannot resist to this special effect.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Mine's on the left hidden with no magnification. I like the dock, but I don't need to see it all the time and have have like 10 things in it, so I don't need magnification.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    I keep on the left.

See:
  • Reply 13 of 22
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Well, I meant to vote right but accidently voted left!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Well, I meant to vote right but accidently voted left!

Are you from Florida?
  • Reply 15 of 22
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

"Mine is on the left because I want to maximize my vertical area for web page viewing. It seems like most applications work best with a lot of vertical area, but Apple seems to be pushing vertically-challenged displays + dock on the bottom. It looks nicer that way but I like the dock on the side much more. And no magnification or hiding for me."

I do the exact same thing, except that mine is on the right. For some reason I couldn't get my muscle memory to adapt to it on the left, even though that seemed a better choice AND I use FruitMenu.

Apple just needs to make a Cinema Display that can rotate so that you can view it using the long way. That would be a lot of vertical realestate. My friend has a windoze machine with dual 18" LCDs. One LCD is vertical for viewing webpages and documents and the other is regular for other stuff. It's a nice setup.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Mine is on the bottom so that it has the maximum amount of space to grow and it is auto-hidden so that I have more vertical real-estate.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Are you from Florida?

I can see how you might think that

Sadly, I'm just a little "slow"

You mean there's a NEW mexico?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Bottom, pinned to the right, autohide on, magnification off.

The following are always included in the Dock:

Image is at 50% size. "tilesize" is set to an even 64.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i like it on the bottom....

(insert rude comments here)

g
  • Reply 20 of 22
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Here we go:

And I use launchbar to open apps, what a nifty app... (the bar spans accross the bottom of the screen when it is called).

Used to have the dock on the left but I started missing my left/right space, never liked it on the bottom.