iOS 16.4 is now available, with a lot of user-facing updates

Posted:
in iOS edited April 2023
Apple has released iOS 16.4 to the public with new emoji plus many updates to Shortcuts, Focus Filters, and more.

iOS 16.4 changes how betas are delivered
iOS 16.4 changes how betas are delivered

Even though we're getting closer to WWDC 2023 and iOS 17, Apple isn't quite done with iOS 16. Version 16.4 includes a range of small updates that will affect how a user interacts with their iPhone and perhaps their smart home.

Following a beta period that started on April 16, the update for iOS 16.4 is now downloadable to the iPhone. New Shortcuts, a new Focus Filter, UI tweaks, and Mastodon rich link support in iMessage are among the changes.

There aren't any new features big enough to consider them headlining, though new emojis tend to drive updates.
{"@context":"https://schema.org/","@type":"VideoObject","name":"iOS 16.4 is OUT! Here's EVERYTHING New for iPhone & iPad!","description":"Apple has just released iOS 16.4 -- alongside a slew of other updates. Here are all the new features including new emoji, improvements to crash detection, a new Home HomeKit architecture, and more!","thumbnailUrl":"https://i.ytimg.com/vi/l7YwBmWRRfQ/sddefault.jpg","uploadDate":"2023-03-27T17:44:19Z","duration":"PT4M30S","embedUrl":""}

Shortcuts and Focus

Apple has added several new Shortcuts actions for controlling device settings.

• Silence Unkown Callers

• Set Stage Manager

• Set True Tone

• Set Announce Notifications

• Shut Down

• Lock Screen

• Set Always On Display

• Intercom

• Set VPN

• Set AirDrop Receiving

• Set Night Shift

Combining these Shortcut actions with Focus Modes can enable a lot of control over your device. Any Shortcut can run automatically using event-based or location-based automations.

The Always On Display feature for iPhone 14 Pro models can be controlled via Shortcuts and Focus Modes too. The new Focus Filter will toggle the Always On Display on or off depending on the user's preference.

The Always On Display Focus Filter brings more control over the setting
The Always On Display Focus Filter brings more control over the setting

Beta access changes

Apple is moving away from beta profiles with this release cycle. Users will no longer have to install a profile to opt for the developer or public beta options.

Users will only have access via authorized accounts. However, if a developer has an account for development and an account for personal use, there is a method to authorize both without paying the $100 fee twice.

The move away from beta profiles was instigated by those who abused the profile systems. If people knew where to look, they could find free access to developer beta profiles and avoid the $100 developer fee.

Other updates

Web app push notifications are now available on iOS. That means apps added to the Home Screen via Safari will be able to notify users via the native notification system.

The Homekit architecture upgrade is back after a buggy initial launch in iOS 16.2. The upgrade will improve device responsiveness across the smart home network -- if all the bugs have been worked out.

Mastodon links will show as rich previews in iOS 16.4
Mastodon links will show as rich previews in iOS 16.4

Apple has added Mastodon link rich previews in iMessage. This simple feature enables users to see Mastodon links similar to how Twitter or YouTube links appear in iMessage.

Other updates include changes to the Podcast app, the return of the Apple Books page curl animation, and the addition of 31 new emoji. Also, the 5G Standalone network is now available to users with compatible cell plans.

How to install iOS 16.4 on the iPhone

1. Open the Settings app.

2. Select General.

3. Select Software Update.

4. Select "Update to iOS 16.4."

If an iPhone is set to update automatically, it will handle downloading and installing iOS 16.4 on the user's behalf.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,127member
    I'm looking forward to the new Homekit Architecture - downloading now!
    edited March 2023 byronlwilliamlondonlolliver
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Beta started February 16th
    CluntBaby92
  • Reply 3 of 16
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 383member
    mknelson said:
    So am I.  But I'll be waiting to turn on the new HK architecture until there are some reports from the field.
    tzterrilolliver
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Fab, airdrop receiving for all is just 144 simple personal automations away.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 495member
    bonobob said:
    mknelson said:
    So am I.  But I'll be waiting to turn on the new HK architecture until there are some reports from the field.
    Same here. Not getting burned by that again. Hopefully we will start hearing positive reports soon so I can go ahead and upgrade. 
  • Reply 6 of 16
    M68000M68000 Posts: 728member
    I’m not a network expert but have to wonder if Apple should put out the iOS updates on a different day than the Mac OS updates?  The amount of bandwidth needed must be staggering.  Is there no concern about the load of offering these updates on the same day? 
  • Reply 7 of 16
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    M68000 said:
    I’m not a network expert but have to wonder if Apple should put out the iOS updates on a different day than the Mac OS updates?  The amount of bandwidth needed must be staggering.  Is there no concern about the load of offering these updates on the same day? 
    Huh? Do you know what Content Delivery Networks are? Also, not everyone updates on day 1, nor do new updates automatically appear or download on day 1 for everyone. It's not an issue.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Glad to see Podcasts getting some attention, hopefully they've fixed some bugs in there as well and improved syncing across devices. The Mac version is almost unusable for me because of the latter.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    I did not encounter any issues updating iOS, iPadOS, watchOS, macOS (Ventura, Monterey, and Big Sur), HomePod mini, and tvOS (HD, 4K 1st Gen, and 4K 3rd gen). 

Downloads were not a problem. The longest part of the process is still the “Preparing” step. My HomeKit stuff looks exactly the same as it ever did and my HomePod mini stereo pair updated fine and without issues. I have the content cache turned on and that may have helped with the downloading of similar devices. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 16
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 495member
    Anyone braved the new HomeKit Architecture yet?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    dewme said:

Downloads were not a problem. The longest part of the process is still the “Preparing” step.  
    This has been my experience as well. Downloading the update took 3-4 minutes, whereas it has been in the "preparing update" state for over 10 minutes now.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    M68000M68000 Posts: 728member
    M68000 said:
    Huh? Do you know what Content Delivery Networks are? Also, not everyone updates on day 1, nor do new updates automatically appear or download on day 1 for everyone. It's not an issue.
    Yeah,  I realize it’s not coming from one data center and being distributed from many locations.  But I just find it interesting to think all this is going on with the regular app updates too.  Oh, and it seems apps just keep getting bigger.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    M68000 said:
    M68000 said:
    Yeah,  I realize it’s not coming from one data center and being distributed from many locations.  But I just find it interesting to think all this is going on with the regular app updates too.  Oh, and it seems apps just keep getting bigger.
    It's amusing to me you think this is a lot of data compared to, say, video streaming, in 2023. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I only came for the security updates - since nowadays, having 10+ fresh zero day exploits fixed in every release is not uncommon. And they're being exploited in the wild as well, usually. 

Reading through the security bulletin, I see around 10+ "an app may execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges". 

Remember when that was rare? 

There's various others that can read app memory - could be a problem for crypto wallets and so on. 

So yeah the reason everyone should install this immediately is the security fixes. 

Unfortunately at this pace, there's sure to be millions of security holes left to go, and new ones introduced faster than old ones are closed. 

2 exploits for Apple Neural Engine in this release, for example. Did you know Apple neural engine can execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges? 
    edited March 2023
  • Reply 15 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    lolliver said:
    How would I know the new architecture has been enabled? I was not prompted in any way, at least not yet. 

As far as the “Preparing” phase being the longest step in the process, I think Apple is doing a lot more work during the update process to ensure that the device is never left in an indeterminate state and unable to roll back to the last known working state, I.e., bricked. 

Whatever they are doing it seems to be very reliable. I haven’t experienced a “bricked” update on a non-beta update since my iPod 2nd generation, which is close to 15 years ago. A relatively short delay in the upgrade beats a trip to the Genius Bar or a total system rebuild. 
  • Reply 16 of 16
    dewme said:
    lolliver said:
    How would I know the new architecture has been enabled? I was not prompted in any way, at least not yet. 
    I was waiting for a prompt but didn’t get one. To upgrade tap the ellipsis in the upper right corner, then Home Settings, then Software Update and you’ll see the message there. Tapping Learn More will bring up a box with a Continue button that will start the process. 
    edited March 2023