AirTag hidden in luggage forces tourists to change vacation plans

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 849member
    Madbum said:
    if it was beeping it has been put in lost mode which means someone lost it some how

I thought they would start beeping all on their own after a certain amount of time?  Was that changed?

Regardless, I'm skeptical that someone "lost" an AirTag in someone else's backpack.
    You should be skeptical of these liars and attention whores . air pods are not made in Indonesia . 

Case closed 
    a) these were AirTags not AirPods
    b) the battery says “made in Indonesia.    Idiots? Probably. But attention seeking? Probably not.
    edited March 2023 ronnAlex1Nbadmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 29
    The couple admits they didn't own any Apple products

This line...  they should be so ashamed!!

Maybe don't use the word "admit" which implies a crime has been committed.

edited March 2023
  • Reply 23 of 29
    It's hard to say how or why the tag got into their bag. It could have just come loose from another bag and fallen into their bag.

And there was no reason for them to cut their vacation short - that seems needlessly paranoid. The tag did its job and beeped because it wasn't near its owner, and they found the tag and could simply throw it away and the owner of the tag would have no idea where they went after that. 

And if they wanted to see whose tag it was, they could scan it using NFC, which is built into most modern iPhones and Android phones, and it'll give you a link to see the owner's info so they could contact them, etc. https://www.applegazette.com/news/how-to-use-airtag-with-android/
    killroyAlex1Nbloggerblogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 29
    Dead_PoolDead_Pool Posts: 128member
    My old lady was none too happy when I used an AirTag to track her to the Motel 6
    sflagelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 849member
    It's hard to say how or why the tag got into their bag. It could have just come loose from another bag and fallen into their bag.

And there was no reason for them to cut their vacation short - that seems needlessly paranoid. The tag did its job and beeped because it wasn't near its owner, and they found the tag and could simply throw it away and the owner of the tag would have no idea where they went after that. 

And if they wanted to see whose tag it was, they could scan it using NFC, which is built into most modern iPhones and Android phones, and it'll give you a link to see the owner's info so they could contact them, etc. https://www.applegazette.com/news/how-to-use-airtag-with-android/
    So an AirTag beeps when moving on its own. Does that mean if I drop an AirTag into my hold luggage it will beep the entire flight and while it is being moved around the airport?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 29
    XedXed Posts: 2,822member
    Concerned that anti-stalking measures such as periodic beep have lessened the tag’s effectiveness. We got them as much for theft as loss, and beeping will alert thief to its presence. My bag was first lost by airlines during a transfer, then stolen from wherever it had ended up. This was a year before AirTags appeared. 
    You may get them for that, but they are clearly not marketed for as an anti-theft device. Apple has been very clear about  how secret tracking of an anti-theft device would make it easier to stalk someone so don't expect this to change anytime soon.
    sflagelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 29
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    Madbum said:
    if it was beeping it has been put in lost mode which means someone lost it some how

I thought they would start beeping all on their own after a certain amount of time?  Was that changed?

Regardless, I'm skeptical that someone "lost" an AirTag in someone else's backpack.
    You should be skeptical of these liars and attention whores . air pods are not made in Indonesia . 

Case closed 
    What difference does it make whether AirPods (or AirTags) are or are not made in Indonesia?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 29
    maltzmaltz Posts: 488member
    Dooofus said:
    It's quite likely it fell off or out of a bag on a conveyor and was then discovered and inserted into the bag it was closest to by "helpful" airport personnel. 

It's possible, but I wouldn't call it likely.  It's far more likely that someone saw them with something valuable and put it in their bag to follow them and rob them later.  But it is unlikely that anyone was after them personally.  Changing travel plans seems an extreme reaction - ditching the AirTag would probably sufficed, unless they had some other reason to believe they were being personally targeted.  But I'm not going to fault them for taking action that made them comfortable, as much as one could be, anyway.