What to expect from WWDC 2023 on June 5 through June 9

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2023
Apple has confirmed the 2023 Worldwide Developer Conference will start on June 5 with a mixed in-person and online developer event.

Apple's annual Worldwide Developer Conference, or WWDC, is usually held the first week of June. It has been announced for June 5 to June 9, but little other detail has been offered. Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing, Greg "Joz" Joswiak, has given one hint about what the event will focus on, in a tweet punning on Swift, the name of Apple's programming language.

Hoping the week of June 5 comes around Swiftly! #WWDC23 pic.twitter.com/dXzVD9fCnJ

— Greg Joswiak (@gregjoz)

Developers will be invited via a lottery system for an in-person portion of the event. However, Apple will continue its recently-started tradition of offering heavily produced online sessions as well.

The conference will begin Monday, June 5 with a pre-recorded keynote and State of the Union videos. After, developers and students attending in-person will be provided access to the Developer Center.

Apple will also hold its annual Swift Student Challenge, encouraging students to make a Swift Playgrounds app project on the topic of their choice. Winners receive a free one-year Apple Developer Program membership and WWDC merch.

We're expecting the usual slew of Apple Software updates including iOS 17, iPadOS 17, tvOS 17, watchOS 10, and macOS 14. Apple could also surprise everyone with the Apple VR Headset announcement that has been rumored for the event.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    That graphic reminds me of the rainbow stage they have on campus.
    xiamenbill
  • Reply 2 of 9
    reviloareviloa Posts: 15member
    Excited! This is the glass pattern from a VR lens : )
    pulseimages
  • Reply 3 of 9
    reviloa said:
    Some people on MacRumors thought it looked like the pattern of a Fresnel lens but when I was watching the Snazzy Labs video about the headset I think he said that they would more likely use pancake lenses instead of Fresnel lenses.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    reviloareviloa Posts: 15member
    reviloa said:
    Some people on MacRumors thought it looked like the pattern of a Fresnel lens but when I was watching the Snazzy Labs video about the headset I think he said that they would more likely use pancake lenses instead of Fresnel lenses.
    Possibly people are more familiar with the fresnel lens pattern seen in current VR headsets giving a hint of the pending announcement vs giving away any design clues used in the Apple headset.    
  • Reply 5 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    reviloa said:
    Yeah it looks like the pancake lens setup:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/optical-solutions-us/applications/displays/ar-vr/

radarthekat
  • Reply 6 of 9
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,631member
    If there’s any cryptic messaging in the imagery, it resembles a headset lens. *yawn*

and the played out rainbow colors probably represent the visual color spectrum. 

So,,, sounds like the XR thing is coming and it runs iOS. Shocker. 

Kind of also. looks like X-Ray glasses from before most of our time. 

Would be hilarious if the headset was actually glasses and apple called the pass through feature “X-Ray.”
    edited March 2023 williamlondonradarthekat
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,289member
    If it is really WW (world wide) but mostly online why not have watch parties all over the world with merch packs for lottery winners in each location?

• Reply 8 of 9
    I can predict what will happen (same thing every year).

- Android fans will be furious if Apple adds any feature to the iPhone they already have, as if they’re the only ones on the planet allowed to use such a feature.
    - Phrases like “welcome to 2016” or “we had that 5 years ago” to be liberally thrown around.
    - They’ll watch the keynote and think “that’s it?” while forgetting WWDC is 5 days of sessions designed for developers to use new/existing features in their Apps.

Rinse & repeat.
    h2pwilliamlondondanoxmangakatten
  • Reply 9 of 9
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,757member
    Expecting software upgrades, and minor upgrades to one of the laptops lines, however I am hoping that they will complete the transition to Apple Silicon across all ranges of their computers, so that they can finish out the year strong from a hardware sales standpoint.
    edited April 2023 badmonk