Netflix Games may come to TVs, use iPhone as a controller

Posted:
in iPhone
A report suggests Netflix is working on a feature that will bring its games to smart TV platforms and could enable players to use their iPhones as a controller.

Netflix Games
Netflix Games

Netflix Games launched in 2021 with little fanfare since. The selection offers a variety of games, some inspired by Netflix properties, others seemingly random.

According to a report from Bloomberg, code within the Netflix app reveals that Netflix Games could soon come to TV sets, and the iPhone could act as a controller. So far, games have only been available on smartphones and tablets.

Using the iPhone as a controller isn't a new concept. Apple changes the Apple Remote app into a simple game controller for select titles on Apple TV, and anyone who has played JackBox Games will be familiar with the idea.

It isn't clear how this feature will be implemented. In our experience, digital buttons and analog sticks on a phone display you're not looking at are less than ideal.

Find a list of available Netflix Games on the help page.

The Netflix Games concept isn't too distant from Apple Arcade, which costs $5 per month or is included with Apple One. Customers who pay for a Netflix subscription get access to the games via their login.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    JP234 said:
    If there is the bandwidth, sounds like a good plan. Otherwise, wouldn't there be lag that would make action/shooter/driving sim games hard to play?
    Bandwidth and latency are different things.
    JP234
  • Reply 2 of 6
    JP234 said:
    If there is the bandwidth, sounds like a good plan. Otherwise, wouldn't there be lag that would make action/shooter/driving sim games hard to play?
    Netflix Games isn't based on streaming. You download the games to your device just like with Apple Arcade.
    JP234ravnorodomwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    JP234 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JP234 said:
    Hmm, yeah they are not the same, and not different. They're cause and effect.
    I suggest you look up what they mean, because they are definitely different.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    JP234 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JP234 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JP234 said:
    Instead of looking it up, I decided to ask someone smarter than you (or me): ChatGPT! I asked: "Are bandwith and latency connected. Here's it's answer:

"Yes, bandwidth and latency are connected. In computer networking and communication, bandwidth refers to the amount of data that can be transmitted in a given amount of time, whereas latency refers to the time it takes for data to travel from its source to its destination. Both are important factors in determining network performance. 

In general, higher bandwidth means that larger amounts of data can be transmitted quickly, while lower latency means that there is less delay between the time data is sent and the time it is received. A network with high bandwidth and low latency is ideal for applications that require fast, real-time data transmission, such as online gaming or video conferencing. Conversely, a network with low bandwidth and high latency may be sufficient for applications that transmit smaller amounts of data or tolerate slow response times, such as email or file downloads."

Guess that's settled then. Me right, you wrong. This time.
    You haven't even understood what ChatGPT has told you, and I note that you worded your question very differently to your original postulation.  Almost like you wanted to manipulate an answer that would make you look better.  You're so transparently dishonest that it's genuinely laughable :D  :D  :D 

Lets see what ChatGPT says when we ask some honest, good faith questions:

So you took two swings, missed both times, and then tried to worm your way out of it instead of just admitting it.  You're a clown.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    JP234 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JP234 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JP234 said:
    chutzpah said:
    JP234 said:
    Instead of looking it up, I decided to ask someone smarter than you (or me): ChatGPT! I asked: "Are bandwith and latency connected. Here's it's answer:

"Yes, bandwidth and latency are connected. In computer networking and communication, bandwidth refers to the amount of data that can be transmitted in a given amount of time, whereas latency refers to the time it takes for data to travel from its source to its destination. Both are important factors in determining network performance. 

In general, higher bandwidth means that larger amounts of data can be transmitted quickly, while lower latency means that there is less delay between the time data is sent and the time it is received. A network with high bandwidth and low latency is ideal for applications that require fast, real-time data transmission, such as online gaming or video conferencing. Conversely, a network with low bandwidth and high latency may be sufficient for applications that transmit smaller amounts of data or tolerate slow response times, such as email or file downloads."

Guess that's settled then. Me right, you wrong. This time.
    You haven't even understood what ChatGPT has told you, and I note that you worded your question very differently to your original postulation.  Almost like you wanted to manipulate an answer that would make you look better.  You're so transparently dishonest that it's genuinely laughable :D  :D  :D 

Lets see what ChatGPT says when we ask some honest, good faith questions:

So you took two swings, missed both times, and then tried to worm your way out of it instead of just admitting it.  You're a clown.
    It was YOU who asked GPT if bandwidth and latency are the same, not me. I asked if they are connected.
    It was YOU who asked GPT if bandwidth and latency are "cause and effect" connected. I just asked if they are connected.
    Projecting your own reality onto others write is a character flaw, and should be addressed with therapy and reflection.
    Do you think everyone else is as stupid as you?

You claimed that bandwidth would make games lag.  That's not really true, lag would be down to latency which is different from bandwidth, something you still seem to be unaware of.  
    You then pivoted and claimed that bandwidth was the cause and latency the effect, which is not really true, as a cursory Google, or (if you must) ChatGPT query would have put you straight on.  I advised you to look up the difference because you seemed confused.
    You, in an effort to save face then went off on an adventure and asked ChatGPT a different question about whether bandwidth and latency are connected, and glossed over the answer to absurdly claim "Me right, you wrong" even when ChatGPT's answer showed nothing of the sort.

You haven't proven anything I said wrong, just made yourself look like an ass with your inability to admit fault.  I advise you to stop now.  Bandwidth and latency are not the same thing, though both relate to network performance.  They are technically not directly related, though by the nature of things, if you pay for high bandwidth you'll likely get low latency too just because you are paying more for a better package.  Equally, if you have a problem with low bandwidth that may make your experience of high latency even worse.  But still, they are not the same thing and are certainly not in a cause and effect relationship.  They are connected in the same way as how your arms and your legs are connected by being your limbs, but they aren't the same thing in the same way as your arms and legs aren't the same thing.

Now have a nice day, I'm bored of this nonsense.