New Safari 1.0 Beta 2 (v73)

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Apple.com, the Safari -> About box, and the Get Info box in he Finder all say Beta 2.

Where exactly do you see a .9?

It's not as if I don't believe you, so you don't need to convince me that it says Beta 2 (v73). However, it does say 0.9 if you click on the application icon in the finder in column view, assuming you haven't edited the .plist file to turn off the preview pane.

I really don't care what people call it, I was just pointing out that 0.9 isn't exactly the wrong answer. Apple just thought it needed 3 different version numbers for some reason.

The last public release was also called 0.8 in addition to being (v60) following this scheme that doesn't make much sense.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Could it be that those 10 sites are badly coded?

1st off, for me as an end user that doesn't matter. I just want them to work. Bad coded? I doubt it, we are talking 'bout sites like Sky-news, BBC's Topgear, The Swedish 'Bytbil.com' and virtually every online Car configurator (VW, AUDI, Skoda, Seat, Ford, Volvo, Saab) to name just a few. All these sites are highly commercial and work flawlessly in IE, NS, Camino, Mozilla and some even work in iCab.

I really like Safari as a browser though and still use it as my default. I just think bug fixing is more important than adding features (like auto-fill and tabs)

[Edit] When writing this Safari unexpectedly quit so I had to start over.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Here's my interpretation of the version scheme.

Just like Chimera, Safari is not yet 1.0. However, to the public at large, Apple wants it to look like a simple 1.0 beta. Internally, milestones are referred to as .7, .8, etc. Because there is a distributed build every once in a while, there is also an accompanying build number (v73). Also, since there are more rare public beta distributions, they get their own number as well (beta 2.)
  • Reply 44 of 67
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    whoa. Click on a bookmark bar folder and 'open in tabs'. That's cool. I don't use tabs, but it's a pretty neat feature.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Yeah, it seems they've fixed some javascript issues -- I can use drop-down menus in some websites that I couldn't before (like MBUSA, etc.).
  • Reply 46 of 67
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 47 of 67
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I couldn't wait for you guys to beta test this for me so I grabbed it tonight and have been playing with it.

Cool "new" feature that I discovered by accident:

when you have an email form field selected and you hit the down arrow a list of your available email addresses pops up and you can pick from them.

WOW!

so cool.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    papiliopapilio Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

How many duplicate threads will there be?

Infinite - links: Original & /.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Wow Safari 2 sucks. It doesn't load pages half the time. Anyone else seeing this? They either don't load at all or load only 10%.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    I've had no trouble loading pages.

My only gripe is that every time I open the app, it hangs w/beachball for about 3 seconds. Not a big deal, especially since my home page still loads during that time, but it means I can't stop the page from loading, open a new tab/window, etc. It's just a little frustrating, but really a pretty minor issue.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Quote:

Originally posted by FrostyMMB

Look in the Window menu in Safari.

Duh... Thanks!
  • Reply 52 of 67
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Is my connection suddenly go south or this Safari beta 2 just sucks? After I installed this update, everything is slow. I hope that it's the problem with my T1 connection.

Meanwhile, the tab feature is nice, but I want the window stays in the full-screen mode after I closed all my tabs.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    dankdank Posts: 31member
    Can somebody please help me with these problems I've been having with this browser?

First off, it resests my homepage everytime i restart/shut down my computer. I change the address in both the system preferences and safari preferences, but when I reboot my computer, it reverts back to the old homepage. Does anybody else have this problem?? Any suggestions on how I might fix it?

The other problem has to do with hotmail. It asks me to type in my password and when I do, it says it was incorrect and prompts me to do it again. This goes on forever. Hotmail only works about 1% of the time with this browser and I cannot figure out why. Anybody run into this problem or have any suggestions?

I would reappreciate your help because my questions went unanswered in another forum, and that just ain't no good.

Thanks fellas

Oh yes, and I'm running 10.2.5 on a dual 1.25 FW 800
  • Reply 54 of 67
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

As far as I'm concerned, this update is a joke. Sure it comes with Tabed browsing but I can't notice any speed difference at all. Same Java incompatibilities.

Just curious... have you updated to Java 1.4.1? Not that this makes things better. It's just a different set of bugs.

Safari with the old 1.3.1 Java is completely unstable running applets. It crashes often, and as you resize your browser window, the applet floats around -- in appearance only, but not in where it thinks you're clicking!

Safari with 1.4.1 is much more stable. The problem is, AWT and Aqua Swing components are all screwed up -- and that's the sad general state of the first release of 1.4.1 in general, not a Safari bug.

What I've done on my web site is put in logic that says "if safari, and Java 1.4.1, dump Aqua and use the dull but stable Java Metal interface."

This isn't brushed metal, this is Metal, which is fairly drab and boring. However, my applet (which has a more demanding interface than many applets) works like a charm now in Safari.

I greatly look forward to the day that I can limit the metal look to one particular build of 1.4.1, and put Aqua back.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i don't know, told myself i would wait till at least the .80 version...but i'm trying safari again now and it is working great for me...passwords and tabs and autofill...keeping camino around and trying them side by side...so far i might come back to safari...will play a few days on each and see....

at least it is now dock aware and version tracker doesn't look like shit anymore...

g
  • Reply 56 of 67
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    It's not new to this version of Safari, but I've never seen it mentioned here, but about two weeks ago I discovered that you can drag images out of Safari and drop them into Photoshop. That rules.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I found out that Safari v73 and H&R block's online tax prep don't work at all together.

Mozilla to the rescue.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    dankdank Posts: 31member
    Can somebody please respond to my problem? It's really begining to get on my nerves that safari doesn't remember the homepage I tell it too (and the system prefs don't remember it either for that matter). DOES ANYBODY EXPERIENCE THIS PROBLEM? PLEASE HELP!

An hotmail is still f@cked for me, is it this way for anybody else?

PLEASE HELP!
  • Reply 59 of 67
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I'm pretty sure Safari doesn't work with Hotmail, you'll have to use something else.

For the other problems, try choosing "Reset Safari" from the Safari menu.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Hotmail connects fine for me.

Are you running any hacks on safari like Safari Enhancer or PithHelmet or anything like that? They have been known to cause some wicked problems with the new beta.

You might also want to try the "Reset Safari..." item in the Safari menu to clear all your cache and cookies and such. You might also should try trashing the preferences altogether.