Apple will make big interface changes in watchOS 10

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2023
Apple's unveiling of watchOS 10 at WWDC this summer can be a fairly extensive update to the mobile operating system, a report insists, with a user interface refresh anticipated to come.

Apple Watch Ultra
Apple Watch Ultra

Apple typically introduces its milestone operating system updates during WWDC, which will commence on June 5. As part of this, Apple will show off upcoming changes to watchOS, revealing things that Apple Watch wearers could expect to see in the fall public release.

In Sunday's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman discusses watchOS 10, the next version of the Apple Watch operating system. While in previous years watchOS has stayed fairly static with few big shifts in design, Gurman thinks it will be markedly different for 2023.

According to Gurman, the next version "should be a fairly extensive upgrade - with notable changes to the user interface - unlike iOS 17."

Furthermore, Gurman offers that it is "important" for watchOS to have a big year for version 10, "given that the Apple Watch hardware updates will be anything but major."

So far, rumors about the Apple Watch hardware updates all discuss 2024 changes, such as a micro-LED display and a bigger Apple Watch Ultra screen at 2.1 inches. With a relatively quiet rumor mill for the 2023 Apple Watch, it seems that this year's hardware updates could be minor in nature.

While still in the realm of rumor, Gurman's comments do have a grain of truth, in that it's entirely possible for Apple to introduce radical changes to watchOS this year. With it being version 10, Apple has every excuse to make big changes.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    dutchlorddutchlord Posts: 211member
    So what is the news exactly? Very vague article!
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    I am hoping this comes to pass. What we have works well, but I think all of us have wished we could do something that we can’t. There are a number if faces that I like, but I’d like to be able to change from analogue to digital, or change the colour of something, or whatnot. 
    darkvaderuraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    "it seems that this year's hardware updates could be minor in nature" What's new? The Apple Watch has been pretty much stagnant in terms of features and design since the Apple Watch Series 4 was released.

As for me, well, I hope that they finally cut the cord with the iPhone. It should be able to run the software updates by itself and not need an iPhone for such basic functionality.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamForumPost
  • Reply 4 of 20
    You are mostly logical, Saarek. Cutting the cord also a great idea. Apple Watch Ultra was a solid update though, let’s not minimize that too much :-)
    uraharaForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    Yeah, why can't I have digital with seconds without that stupid activity rings thing taking up most of the watch face?

I have ZERO use for analog watch faces.  And I want seconds.
    tokyojimu
  • Reply 6 of 20
    dymmasdymmas Posts: 33member
    Just give me some sort of offline mapping ability, with track routing, and I'll be happy.
    ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    SigurSigur Posts: 12member
    2.1 inches? I’m already using my Ultra for scuba diving and I’d say its current screen size is just about adequate when used as a Dive Computer. But the current screen size also means I can wear my Ultra as my everyday Apple Watch without feeling it probably looks a wee bit freaky on my slim wrist… But I’m already thinking that if the Ultra screen size is increased to 2.1 inches I’ll probably need another smaller screen Apple Watch for everyday use. This will also mean that if I did upgrade to a 2.1 inch Ultra it’d probably only be worn as a Dive Computer thus relegating it to being kept at home in a drawer when I’m not diving - having two Apple Watches would definitely need some thinking about for sure. I’m curious to see what a 2.1 inch screen size Ultra would eventually look like though.
    bloggerblogForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    I’m guessing they’ll eliminate the border to accomplish the extra screen size otherwise it’ll be too big for many a wrist. 
    ForumPostStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    sloth77sloth77 Posts: 25member
    darkvader said:
    Yeah, why can't I have digital with seconds without that stupid activity rings thing taking up most of the watch face?

I have ZERO use for analog watch faces.  And I want seconds.
    Seconds is unlikely as the frequent refresh would knacker the battery life.
    drdavidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Great comments in the thread.

Fully agree that Apple Watch cutting the cord from the iPhone would be fantastic in a similar way that iPhone cut to cord from iTunes. Perhaps this will also encourage more people to get the cellular version of the Apple Watch. Myself I have opted for the tethered version for a long time but I feel ready to make the jump into cellular when I buy the Ultra soon.

WatchOS 10 being its own citizen may also encourage app devs to make the Apple Watch apps more rich in functionality. Would be epic to be able to do much more from the Watch than currently possible.

A feature in WatchOS 10 that I would highly appreciate would be a School-lockdown mode similar in accessibility to Theatre mode where some features are visually verifiable to not be active like messaging and Siri. I see a trend with schools in the UK to be banning Apple Watch in lessons due to them being "disruptive" similar to how smart phones are banned. Fitbits etc are not banned and this places Apple at a competitive disadvantage for family issuing of Apple Watches to kids.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    dutchlord said:
    It's not the news. These are rumours/anticipations. Which are vague in their nature. 
    edited April 2023 StrangeDayswatto_cobraOfer
  • Reply 12 of 20
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Great comments in the thread.

Fully agree that Apple Watch cutting the cord from the iPhone would be fantastic in a similar way that iPhone cut to cord from iTunes. Perhaps this will also encourage more people to get the cellular version of the Apple Watch. Myself I have opted for the tethered version for a long time but I feel ready to make the jump into cellular when I buy the Ultra soon.

WatchOS 10 being its own citizen may also encourage app devs to make the Apple Watch apps more rich in functionality. Would be epic to be able to do much more from the Watch than currently possible.

A feature in WatchOS 10 that I would highly appreciate would be a School-lockdown mode similar in accessibility to Theatre mode where some features are visually verifiable to not be active like messaging and Siri. I see a trend with schools in the UK to be banning Apple Watch in lessons due to them being "disruptive" similar to how smart phones are banned. Fitbits etc are not banned and this places Apple at a competitive disadvantage for family issuing of Apple Watches to kids.

Interesting suggestion for the feature. 
    Why can't you do it already now with a focus mode based on the location. This could silence the watches. But they still could be distracting. 
    So you would need to have something like a content restriction in a screen time, but for the watch.

Still the schools can't rely that the parents will do that 'screen time management'.
    h2pwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I want APIs for creating watch faces.
    watto_cobraOfer
  • Reply 14 of 20
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 839member
    urahara said:
    dutchlord said:
    It's not the news. These are rumours/anticipations. Which are vague in their nature. 
    This is clickbait, pure and simple, and annoying AF. "Apple will make big interface changes in Watch OS 10" is the headline. Great! I'm in! Can't wait to read what kinds of big changes are rumored. Wait, what? You have no idea? Not even rumors? The headline IS the rumor and that's it?

To be fair to AI: I like their new-ish "rumor score" rating system. Now, when they're running a really dubious rumor, at least it's rated as such. And this kind of headline clickbait has mostly disappeared from the site, which is great, so I hope this isn't the start of going backwards. 
    edited April 2023 watto_cobraOfer
  • Reply 15 of 20
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    dymmas said:
    Just give me some sort of offline mapping ability, with track routing, and I'll be happy.
    It’s no Apple Maps equivalent, but have you tried WorkOutDoors? It supports downloading maps to your watch.

It’s a brilliant App, I use it all the time to map out my hikes and leave my phone in the car.

Apple Watch + AirPods + WorkOutDoors is such a fantastic combination.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    A 2.1" screen vs the Ultra's current 1.9 screen is a difference of 2" or 5mm, approximately. Since screen size is measured diagonally, I don't see the need for the Ultra's case to increase noticeably. Apple could reduce the bezel like someone said. They could also make the case slightly wider instead of taller.

I like analog watch faces much more than digital, as far as the overall look goes. I don't use digital much but there are times. 

Apple needs to reduce the width of the time font. It unnecessarily dominate any watch face it inflicts. Another reason I prefer analog watch faces. Give us more, elegant watch faces as well. The Ultra is a pricey Watch and it should have more watch faces befitting a higher end watch. Though the internals are much the same. It's not like a mech where there's a big difference between a single dial watch and a multi-dial chronometer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 20
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member
    Um, WWDC is not “this summer”. It’s happening at the beginning of June, several weeks before summer starts. 
  • Reply 18 of 20
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 620member
    dutchlord said:
    You're not on a news site?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 20
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    My wife was pretty upset about UI changes that made the 5 day forecast fill up the available space instead of todays weather. She can't read the 5 day forecast at all because it is far too small, and for the life of me I have not been able to get it to go back to just the current weather. I hope they will being back the ability to just see what's going on right now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 20
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    I hope these changes will come.
    After all these years I still find watchOS to be confusing.

The dock is okay but the scrolling is somewhat annoying and it’s not that easy to manage.

The app viewer is horrible. Both modes - bubbly grid view (whatever the name is) and list view are extremely hard to navigatie.
    In fact, I think the app view should only be accessible through the dock, instead of directly through a dedicated button. There should be an easier way to add/remove apps from and to the dock. There are several UX approaches to this. 

Almost never I need to use the app viewer; once my favorite apps are in the dock, I’m completely fine 99% of the time. 
    By freeing up a button it can be assigned to more useful things, perhaps to support navigating an active app.

Then the apps themselves; health, heart, handwashing, blood oxygen, cycle tracking….mindfulness…pfffff….

It’s overwhelming. It’s almost as if the “app anology” is failing on a tiny screen on your wrist. Perhaps a more radical new approach is needed here. I suspect they’ll take design cues from their upcoming RealityOS, a device that probably doesn’t have an app based structure as well.