There is a big interest in an iPhone Fold, well ahead of any launch

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's often-rumored foldable iPhone will find a considerable audience when it launches, with a new survey finding that 39% of people looking at foldable smartphones want to get an Apple-produced one.

An example of what a foldable iPhone could look like.
An example of what a foldable iPhone could look like.

The "iPhone Fold" is believed to be Apple's take on the folding smartphone, which could arrive by 2025. When it does eventually go on sale, it seems that there's already a potential audience waiting to buy it.

In a U.S. survey conducted for Counterpoint, approximately 28% of current smartphone users are highly likely to buy a foldable version as their next purchase.

Of those who responded to the survey, 39% said they would go for an Apple-branded device for their foldable smartphone. Samsung, which already sells folding smartphones, is the top choice with a 46% share, while third place is occupied by Motorola with 6%.

There may also be a fair amount of brand loyalty as well when it comes to foldables. The survey said 92% of Samsung users planned to stick with Samsung for a foldable purchase.

The iPhone Fold may also end up being bought by more affluent users, as well. Approximately 41% of respondents with a monthly income of $10,000 or more said they were most likely to buy a foldable smartphone for their next acquisition.

As for the design of the smartphone itself, 49% preferred a "flip-type" foldable with a fold on the short axis of the phone. A "book-type" device with a fold on the long axis is second with 35%. The remainder had no preference.

More than half of male respondents prefer the flip-type with 47% of women also doing so. On the book-type side, 40% of female respondents wanted that kind of device, along with 30% of men.

"Foldables have performed better in controlling the shift from Android to iOS," according to Associate Director of North America research Hanish Bhatia. "However, we don't expect foldables to become the dominant form factor anytime soon in the US. Foldables will continue to co-exist with the candy bar design for years to come."

Aside from a 2025 release date, current rumors for the iPhone Fold say it will have a flexible OLED display, supported by a complex hinge, and it would use USB-C and MagSafe for charging.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Let's see, 28% of smartphone users...Apple has 24.1% of total market share worldwide, and 39% of those would go for an iPhone?  .28 * .39 = 10.9%.  And that's of those who are looking to buy a new phone.  

Apple's current worldwide marketshare is 24.1%.   Dazzling numbers.
    edited April 2023 JP2349secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    JP234 said:
    I hope this abomination in the eyes of Jobs never sees the light of day. It's cringe-worthy tech, and just a placeholder while we wait for the heads-up virtual display.
    People said the same thing about talk of larger screen iPhones and a pencil for the iPads and the bumps for the cameras and so on and so forth. You guys always bitch and say they will never happen but they continue to happen thankfully. I’m glad you guys are always wrong. 
    aaplfanboyJapheyJP234Anilu_777muthuk_vanalingamravnorodombluefire1watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 21
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,009member
    The foldable iPhone idea continues to be an answer looking for a question. 

Other than the novelty of being able to say "Look! It folds!" there's no practical use case for it, and there are plenty of reasons why it's not a particularly great idea. First, a folding phone needs an additional screen on the back that remains on the outside of the device when folded, so that the user can easily see who's calling, the time, etc., without unfolding it. That requires not only the cost of additional hardware, but additional code in iOS and any application that might make use of that screen. The iPhone's camera lenses already create a less-than-ideal form factor, which makes for an even thicker hunk of glass and metal when the device is also folded, which would be very bulky in the user's pocket. No matter how great the engineering of the folding screen and hinge mechanism, it increases the opportunity for damage and breakage over the existing form factor, without a justifying benefit in trade. The list goes on.

The fact that some number of people answered affirmatively to a survey question about whether they'd like a folding phone is meaningless. Without being presented with the actual design and cost, the question is simply asking people if they want a novelty. Many will say yes in the abstract, but no when they see what it actually is. 

To the extent that rumors of Apple patents and work on a foldable screen are conceivably correct, a foldable iPad is a far more likely use for the technology. It wouldn't need an outside screen when folded. Such a device would be opened and closed a mere fraction of the times a folding phone would. A phone comes in and out of your pocket for short interactions possibly hundreds of times a day, and often while you're standing or walking. An iPad, not so much. Its hinge and the folding screen would receive far less wear-and-tear, and an iPad would be dropped far than an iPhone, reducing the likelihood of impact damage to the mechanism. 
    DAalsethAnilu_7779secondkox2watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 21
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 110member
    I wouldn't call that "big interest" - maybe "some interest"!  But I guess that wouldn't serve the same click function :-(  The author should also be using the word "if" rather than "when" to describe Apple's future iPhone direction vis a vis a foldable.  I think for Apple customer to embrace a foldable iPhone, two things must hold: (1) the out-of-pocket experience must be just as good as it is today - i.e. as soon as you pull the iPhone out of your pocket or purse, you should be able to use it; no unfolding required. (2) the folded phone's folded dimensions should not be much bigger than today's iPhone.  The 14 Pro Max is already at the limits of what a jeans pocket or small purse can accommodate - no self respecting Apple customer would walk around with a thick brick.

I think the only way (1) can be accomplished is if the screens are on the outside of the device - a smaller outside screen + big screen inside will not provide enough functionality in folded mode.

Anilu_777watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    There is a big interest in an iPhone Fold
    No not really. There is interest from the bleeding edge technorotti. there is interest from tech writers. I see little interest in a phone with a crease in the middle of its screen from anyone else. Certainly not at the silly prices that keep getting thrown around. 
    edited April 2023 Dooofus9secondkox2lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    I wouldn’t buy a folding iPhone any more likely than a MacBook Pro with a touch screen.
    Dooofus9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    What exactly does a folding smartphone do for a customer that a regular non-folding one do? It's more of just shit that will eventually break. You can only fold them so many times before they wear out. 
    LRG9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    ChmmrChmmr Posts: 1member
    Currently using a Samsung Fold 2. Wanting to move to the Apple Fold once it's released. 
    9secondkox2ravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 527member
    I’d be interested in a folding iPhone a similar style to the Windows folding phone - thin sides with a hinge. When consuming media a large screen is always better but not needed all the time. If it can be used in a perfect Apple way folded I’m good with buying that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    LRGLRG Posts: 1member
    I personally view it as a passing fad that will fizzle out in time. If you really want a larger screened phone by a mini iPad with cell service.
    9secondkox2watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 21
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,719member
    That pill doesn’t show any appreciable interest in a folding iPhone. 

What it shows is that, if people were to get a folding phone, they’d trust Apple to build it. 

In the real world, foldables suck, provide no better functionality, create prints of failure, and drive the costs up. No bueno in the inflation market. And no bueno in the “i want my phone to be reliable!and easy to use” market. 
    edited April 2023 watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 12 of 21
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,719member
    Chmmr said:
    Currently using a Samsung Fold 2. Wanting to move to the Apple Fold once it's released. 
    Explains the 1 post. 
    watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 21
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    AppleZulu said:
    The foldable iPhone idea continues to be an answer looking for a question. 

Other than the novelty of being able to say "Look! It folds!" there's no practical use case for it, and there are plenty of reasons why it's not a particularly great idea. First, a folding phone needs an additional screen on the back that remains on the outside of the device when folded, so that the user can easily see who's calling, the time, etc., without unfolding it. That requires not only the cost of additional hardware, but additional code in iOS and any application that might make use of that screen. The iPhone's camera lenses already create a less-than-ideal form factor, which makes for an even thicker hunk of glass and metal when the device is also folded, which would be very bulky in the user's pocket. No matter how great the engineering of the folding screen and hinge mechanism, it increases the opportunity for damage and breakage over the existing form factor, without a justifying benefit in trade. The list goes on.

The fact that some number of people answered affirmatively to a survey question about whether they'd like a folding phone is meaningless. Without being presented with the actual design and cost, the question is simply asking people if they want a novelty. Many will say yes in the abstract, but no when they see what it actually is. 

To the extent that rumors of Apple patents and work on a foldable screen are conceivably correct, a foldable iPad is a far more likely use for the technology. It wouldn't need an outside screen when folded. Such a device would be opened and closed a mere fraction of the times a folding phone would. A phone comes in and out of your pocket for short interactions possibly hundreds of times a day, and often while you're standing or walking. An iPad, not so much. Its hinge and the folding screen would receive far less wear-and-tear, and an iPad would be dropped far than an iPhone, reducing the likelihood of impact damage to the mechanism. 
    The question is clear. How can you double your screen space while keeping the form factor small?

That is also the number one use case.

The follow up question is 'do I have to sacrifice regular phone use without the screen unfolded? The answer to that is also clear. No. 

Are there any tradeoffs? Yes. Just like with all phones.

The crease. A tradeoff. The notch. A tradeoff. A pill cut out. A tradeoff. Etc. 

Even from the outset of folding phones back in 2019, the crease was not considered an issue in daily use. Today, creases are even less of an issue. 

Bulk. Even some last generation folding phones were virtually the same thickness (when folded) as an iPhone in a case. Considering what you get in return (double screen space), that is a non-issue and obviously an area that is improving from generation to generation. 

Complexity. Yes, of course. The hinges alone require some serious engineering capacity.

Yes, the software is (obviously!) different. After all, a folding phone introduces more use cases so software should take advantage of all that. 

Fragility and wear and tear. All phones are fragile and suffer wear and tear. Folding phones somewhat more so but that is factored into the purchase decision. Anyone who currently pampers a slab phone will have no issues with a folding phone. As for wear and tear, well it's been more than three years now. Folding phones have not had major issues with that. 

But let's take a step back for a moment. Do you remember when we went from plastic backs to sealed glass backs on slab phones? 

Any 'fragility' comparisons end there. Slab phones are probably more fragile in that sense. 

A double screen? Yes, but only sometimes and put to good use. It depends on which way your folding phone folds. Inwards or outwards. 

Folding phones give you options that slab phones don't. Some of those options result from the extra screen. 

Cost. Any cutting edge technology is going to cost more and that also takes into account new material development. Prices are coming down though as knowhow and manufacturing capacity increase. The bleeding edge phones will also have bleeding edge prices. That is true for all flagships, folding or not. 

Usage. I used to carry a tablet every day. Precisely for what you mentioned. In the end though I decided to swallow the tradeoff that comes from sacrificing the tablet while I'm on the go. That means I'm using my phone for your cited 'tablet' use. A folding phone largely resolves that problem. 

Camera bumps. A necessary evil if thinness is the goal. It doesn't have to be of course but many manufacturers prefer the bump to fleshing out the rest of the phone. Normally sacrificing battery capacity in the process. 

The latest folding phones are absolutely stunning examples of design, engineering and manufacturing capacity. 

And it's still early days. 

Scrollables are a possible option and no doubt AR-HUDS will also come to market but all in due time. 

My brother switched his entire family to flip folding phones last year. My other brother got a Fold 4. They haven't had issues and all love the phones. 

Take a look at what is currently on offer:

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/phones/mate-x3/

And the Fold 5 is rumoured to arrive very soon. 

Is it any wonder that a fair few iPhone users see things like that and want the same? 

muthuk_vanalingamctt_zh9secondkox2
  • Reply 14 of 21
    M68000M68000 Posts: 727member
    Will weight be an issue with these foldable phones?  The current pro max is already pretty heavy.
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    The Mate X3 is one gram lighter than the Pro Max 14.
    ctt_zh9secondkox2
  • Reply 16 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    DAalseth said:
    There is a big interest in an iPhone Fold
    No not really. There is interest from the bleeding edge technorotti. there is interest from tech writers. I see little interest in a phone with a crease in the middle of its screen from anyone else. Certainly not at the silly prices that keep getting thrown around. 
    Agree. I have yet to see a folding phone in the wild, anywhere, not in a store, not at a sporting event, not in a theatre, nowhere. If there were such an interest you'd think you would see them.
    edited April 2023 DAalseth9secondkox2Dooofuswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 17 of 21
    macxpress said:
    What exactly does a folding smartphone do for a customer that a regular non-folding one do? It's more of just shit that will eventually break. You can only fold them so many times before they wear out. 
    It offers a bigger screen option but gives the illusion of a small device?
    ctt_zh9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    rockawrockaw Posts: 23member
    I don't care about a fold open design that results in a tablet size thing when unfolded, but I would love a flip open design. Same width as regular iPhone, but half the height when flipped closed. Small screen on the front could hold around 8-12 app icons -- I don't need anything larger than that for phone calls, texting, checking weather, etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I loved my RaZr in the 90’s and would love an iPhone Fold. That said, I love my 14Pro and would be happy with either form factor.
    edited April 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Today,  saw and talked to somebody at work who has a Samsung folding phone device.  They think it’s great.  I think it’s horrible.  There are 2 vertical lines that make up the crease to fold it.  Just awful to look at.  The weight of the device is significant.
    jony0