Veci 2-in-1 MagSafe Wallet review: Best MagSafe Wallet that isn't Apple's

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2023
If you're tired of having to choose between sleek MagSafe wallet minimalism and a bulky bifold that can carry everything -- get one that can do both with Veci.

Minimalist MagSafe Wallet and Bifold in one
Minimalist MagSafe Wallet and Bifold in one

It's easy to say we're a minimalist wallet kind of people. Two or three card slots at most, plus MagSafe, and we're sold.

However, having the space for an AirTag or occasional cash is also useful. So, for the past few years, we've settled on a tiny wallet, also made by Veci, that has a chunky AirTag slot on the front.

It quickly became our favorite wallet thanks to having MagSafe and AirTag -- until we tested the Veci 2-in-1 MagSafe Bifold Wallet. It is quite a unique concept since it is technically two wallets in one.

Veci 2-in-1 MagSafe Bifold Wallet: design

There are two wallets within this product -- a standard bifold and a MagSafe wallet. The MagSafe wallet is removable and attaches to your iPhone back, leaving behind a full-sized bifold.

A removable MagSafe Wallet within a larger bifold
A removable MagSafe Wallet within a larger bifold

Both products are made from 100% full-grain leather. The MagSafe wallet portion is shielded, so cards with magnetic strips won't be affected when in the wallet.

There are a total of 8 card slots: four on the left of the bifold, two in the MagSafe wallet, and two "hidden" slots. The bill compartment is split in two, so sorting bills or separate currencies is easy.

The hidden slots are quite large. We squeezed our COVID vaccination card in the back slot, but your results may vary.

The hidden pocket is perfect for an AirTag holder
The hidden pocket is perfect for an AirTag holder

The wallet feels soft to the touch and doesn't feel too thick, even with an AirTag holder (not included with this wallet). We purchased an AirTag holder built specifically for keeping in a wallet from Nomad, and it fits in one of the hidden slots with ease.

The thickness is significantly decreased with the MagSafe wallet removed. Though, that does mean our AirTag stays behind with the bifold.

Using the Veci 2-in-1 MagSafe Bifold Wallet

Like any leather product, the Veci Bifold was stiff at first. Getting cards in and out of the slots took effort, but with time, it became easier as the leather wore in.

The MagSafe Wallet attaches to the bifold using the same magnets that attach it to the iPhone. As a result, it is incredibly grippy, and the magnetic space it connects to is the same size as the wallet.

The bifold is a bit thicker with the MagSafe Wallet inside
The bifold is a bit thicker with the MagSafe Wallet inside

That means it can be somewhat tricky to get in and out of the bifold. After a while, you learn how to get it out by going for the corner to get it loose.

Overall, this design works great. We often leave the bifold behind and stick with the tiny MagSafe portion. It holds our driver's license and Apple Card.

Whenever we expect we'd like access to other cards or cash, we bring the bifold portion along. It's the best of both worlds.

While we wish there were some kind of Find My capability for the MagSafe Wallet, it isn't a deal breaker. Our thinking is simple, the bifold is a separate object that needs tracking, hence the AirTag, but the MagSafe Wallet is attached to the trackable iPhone.

A unique wallet concept

This is the perfect solution if you're interested in MagSafe wallets but don't want to ditch everything you carry in your bifold. We love the hybrid nature of this concept and are surprised this is the first we've seen it executed.

The perfect MagSafe Wallet + AirTag combo doesn't exist yet, but this is close
The perfect MagSafe Wallet + AirTag combo doesn't exist yet, but this is close

It is difficult to find a downside to Veci's solution here. Although, the design could use refinement to get the MagSafe Wallet out easier.

One tweak we'd offer as a user: provide a built-in method for inserting Apple's AirTag. We shouldn't have to purchase a third-party solution.

Our ideal wallet would still be some kind of MagSafe Wallet with a minimalist AirTag slot. That wallet still doesn't exist, but the Veci 2-in-1 MagSafe Bifold provides a good stopgap.

Veci 2-in-1 MagSafe Bifold Wallet Pros

• Excellent craftsmanship in a classic bifold design

• Plenty of storage in the bifold

• Minimalist removable MagSafe Wallet

Veci 2-in-1 MagSafe Bifold Wallet Cons

• MagSafe Wallet can be difficult to detach from bifold mount

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

This near-perfect concept will have trouble being topped. It needs some alterations to make the MagSafe Wallet easier to remove and perhaps a built-in AirTag mount; otherwise, it's a well-made wallet.

Anyone seeking the convenience of MagSafe wallets but not wanting to lose a larger bifold's storage capacity should look here. We haven't seen another like it.

Where to buy the Veci 2-in-1 MagSafe Bifold Wallet

The Veci 2-in-1 Bifold Wallet with detachable MagSafe Wallet can be purchased on Amazon for $64.95. It can also be ordered for the same price direct from Veci.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmlongcohmlongco Posts: 537member
    I want the MagSafe wallet shown WITHOUT the Bifold wallet.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 4
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 842member
    I barely use my Apple MagSafe wallet because prying cards out of it is ridiculously difficult. The Veci MagSafe wallet would appear to solve that issue, although I do wonder what happens when the leather stretches out a bit--seems like the sideways and exposed positioning of the cards would allow them to fall out pretty easily. 

Also: this is a subjective opinion, but my one criticism of Apple AirTag is that there isn't a flat version for wallets. I think the current tag adds too much thickness to a wallet. I've been using the Chipolo Card Spot for over a year and find it to be a great solution. I had previously used Tile Mate's version of this product, but once Tile Mate was bought by a company with a track record of privacy abuse, I dropped all Tile Mate usage. Dimensions of the Chipolo are about the same as Tile Mate, but the Chipolo playback sound when I ping my misplaced wallet is signficantly louder and a real help when it's in a drawer or a coat pocket. 
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 190member, administrator, moderator, editor
    hmlongco said:
    I want the MagSafe wallet shown WITHOUT the Bifold wallet.
    I'm confused. There are several photos here with the MagSafe wallet outside of the bifold.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    this is the cheap magsafe wallet my partner enjoys:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B1MDQ8LT/