Sundar Pichai says that Chat AI is coming to Google Search soon

Posted:
in General Discussion
Google CEO Sundar Pichai says the company will integrate AI chatbot technology into its regular search features, though won't say if it will use its error-prone Bard system.

Microsoft's integration of ChatGPT into Bing has at least raised the profile of that search engine, even if it has come with problems. Despite those issues, the company is all-in on Chat AI, and is now also adding it to Microsoft 365.

According to a Wall Street Journal interview with Sundar Pichai, Google is following suit, at least as far as integrating a Chat AI system into its search. Pichai did not mention Bard, but instead spoke more generally of Large Language Models (LLMs) which drive such systems.

"Will people be able to ask questions to Google and engage with LLMs in the context of search? Absolutely," he said. "The opportunity space, if anything, is bigger than before."

Pichai did not comment on when such an integration would be launched. Google has been using LLMs and AI-powered tools in its searching, but previously as a back-end system rather than something users could interact with directly.

Following the breakout success of ChatGPT, Google did reveal its own Bard system. Its very first demo of Bard, though, returned a factually inaccurate result.

Since then, Google has even had to refute how its own Bard system falsely and controversially claimed to be trained using Google's own Gmail.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The overwhelming profit motive trumps any concern for the dangers AI may unleash. All the warnings and pleas to slow down will be completely ignored, it's full steam ahead, no matter the results. They thought they could control the bomb but the only thing keeping us alive today is the concept of MAD (mutually assured destruction). Now even the crazies are rethinking that.
    edited April 2023 coolfactorjcs2305watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member

Google Search remains the most robust search engine to get desired results. I have DuckDuckGo set as my default, but always manually go to Google Search. However, lately, I've noticed the first page of Google search results can be chock full of "Sponsored" results! Not just 30% but now up to 70%! They seem desperate to make more money, and this latest Chat AI endeavour feels more like a race to stay relevant.
    jcs2305watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Please wait while I copy your questions and details on this subject to all our paying interested parties; I'll be right back.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    lkrupp said:
    The overwhelming profit motive trumps any concern for the dangers AI may unleash. All the warnings and pleas to slow down will be completely ignored, it's full steam ahead, no matter the results. They thought they could control the bomb but the only thing keeping us alive today is the concept of MAD (mutually assured destruction). Now even the crazies are rethinking that.
    Agreed. The headlong race to be the first with the cool new tech, even before it’s ready, is going to end badly. 
    jcs2305watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member

Google Search remains the most robust search engine to get desired results. I have DuckDuckGo set as my default, but always manually go to Google Search.
    There’s a reason why Google can return what you feel are more personalized results: Google has collected more information on you than even the government or your mother knows about you. So of course the results of a search there are going to be “better.”

Duck Duck Go gets the job I want done acceptably well, but doesn’t have to go into cyber-stalking territory to give me good information. Best of all there are NO sponsored links or scam websites in the first page of the results like I used to get with Google!