Sex-trafficing co. gets Iraq police contract

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I thought the problem was that they got the contract without bidding. Do we know if there is a Bush/Cheney connection?
  • Reply 22 of 32
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

I thought the problem was that they got the contract without bidding. Do we know if there is a Bush/Cheney connection?

It's bad from every angle. I don't know about a bush/cheney connection, but there are many, many other folks in the US government and related advisors that need to be looked at when discussing that sort of thing.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Yeah. Just ignore it and it'll go away. Then you can sit back and think your unconditional support of any US action in Iraq makes you a good person.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    People don't like responding to those who don't answer their questions, go figure.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I have a question. If you're against this contract, are you considered part of the "anti-American left" that so often gets attacked around here?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I wouldn't think so, bunge. Scroll up and read my opposition to it. I know I don't speak for the AI Right Wing Brigade, but as a highly-visible, oft-quoted and much-loved prominent member of it, my opinion on the matter probably carries much weight among those here who share in your question (AND, as I said, goes a long way toward explaining my horrid "there is right and wrong in the world" stance that so shocks many here).

But seriously: personally I'm not crazy about this contract and this particular outfit.

Does that help with your question?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

so are they problem causers still there or not?

BTW: that's an interestingly benign label you place on a culture of rape and sexual slavery.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Are the rapists and slavemasters still there, then? Can we just get past the goddamn semantics and get an answer on this of some sort?

• Reply 29 of 32
    Pscates, here's what I initially posted to his question:

Didn't you read the whole article?

http://www.insightmag.com/main.cfm/i...id/163052.html

You answer is pretty clearly in there. I think at one point it's summed up as the "company's culture ."

On another note:

Quote:

What you have here is a Lord of the Flies mentality. Basically you've got a bunch of strong men who are raping and manipulating young girls who have been kidnapped from their homes. Who's the bad guy? Is it the guy who buys the girl to give her freedom, the one who kidnaps her and sells her or the one who liberates her and ends up having sex with her? And what does it mean when the U.S. steps up and says, 'We don't have any jurisdiction'? That's absurd.

Here's another interesting quote:

Quote:

DynCorp leadership was 100 percent in bed with the mafia over there. I didn't get any results from talking to DynCorp officials, so I went to Army CID and I drove around with them, pointing out everyone's houses who owned women and weapons.

In short, it's company-wide, which is not surprising.

I think he should probably have stronger legislation and a system of checks for US use of mercenaries, not to mention how their contracts are rewarded.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    DynCorp provides support services to the US military. DynCorp also does the Pentagon's dirty work - ie: performs operations for which Congress will not allow US military personnel to be used.

From a recent article in Wired:

Quote:

(DynCorp) are subject to neither US law nor the military code of conduct. They don't count under congressional limits on troop commitments, and they aren't obliged to talk to the media. The government needn't even discuss the details of the agreements: The Pentagon and State Department aren't required to reveal to Congress contracts that are smaller than $50 million, and many of DynCorp's are.

• Reply 31 of 32
    As for the awarding of contracts without bids, looks like folks in congress are ticked too.

Quote:

SUNSHINE IN IRAQ RECONSTRUCTION

There has been an unseemly tendency in the Bush Administration

to award contracts for Iraq reconstruction on a sole-source

basis, i.e. without a competitive bidding process. The

contracts themselves are occasionally classified.

To correct this offensive practice Sen. Ron Wyden, along with

Senators Collins, Clinton, Byrd and Lieberman, introduced the

"Sunshine in Iraq Reconstruction Contracting Act" (S. 876).

"Contracts to rebuild Iraq should be awarded in the sunshine--

not behind a smokescreen," said Sen. Wyden. He explained the

problem with "closed-door contracting," and described his

proposed solution, in an April 10 floor speech introducing the

bill. See:

http://www.fas.org/irp/congress/2003_cr/s876.html

from the Federation of American Scientists Secrecy News e.mail newsletter.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Hey, we have a Congress! Boy, I haven't seen those guys in, what, months!

Seriously, glad someone is looking out for this stuff and (might) have some sway in the matter.