Leaked iPhone 15 Pro Max glass shows extremely thin bezels

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2023
The supposed world's thinnest bezels of the iPhone 15 Pro Max have surfaced in leaked images, with glass showing the bezel has undergone a diet from its iPhone 14 Pro counterpart.

[Ice Universe/Twitter]
[Ice Universe/Twitter]

In mid-March, leaker Ice Universe insisted that the iPhone 15 Pro Max will break records and have the thinnest bezel of any smartphone ever made at 1.55mm (0.06 inches). Weeks later, the serial leaker offers photographs as a form of proof.

The shots from Ice Universe via Twitter show the glass covers of three iPhone models: iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max, and iPhone 14 Pro. The black bezel of the iPhone 14 Pro is compared to the version supposedly meant for the iPhone 15 Pro.

Why do I want you to believe this is true? Because the evidence comes not only from CAD renderings, but also from physical objects: the glass cover of the iPhone, is part of the phone, not a protective film. So its bezel is equal to the bezel of the phone.
bezel15=14P15P pic.twitter.com/FRkLi2b4zR

-- Ice universe (@UniverseIce)

While the iPhone 14 Pro is shown with 2.1mm bezels, the iPhone 15 Pro is displayed with a 1.55mm bezel. The same thickness was announced by the leaker weeks prior.

Ice Universe goes on to insist that the images show the glass cover for the iPhone, which is part of the design and not a protective film nor a screen protector. The bezel on the glass is therefore "equal to the bezel of the phone," the leaker insists.

The glass also depicts all models as having identical layouts for the camera holes so that they reside in the Dynamic Island. This too has appeared in a leak in early March.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    About half a millimeter less bezel? Amazing progress, Apple... I'm going to scrap my perfectly good phone and shell out another thousand for this one!
    A few extra pixels on the sides makes all the difference. It's going to make my data look it's best ever on an iPhone...
    williamlondonpulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 6
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,719member
    bigmike said:
    About half a millimeter less bezel? Amazing progress, Apple... I'm going to scrap my perfectly good phone and shell out another thousand for this one!
    A few extra pixels on the sides makes all the difference. It's going to make my data look it's best ever on an iPhone...
    Yeah. It's really not very relevant now. It boils down to a thinness that isn't visible to the naked eye so no one is going to notice anything. 

It would have been pretty newsworthy a couple of generations ago when the notch/bezel combo looked very dated when compared to other phones. Hideously thick perhaps but with the notch gone (supposedly across all the new range come September) and the cutout already on some models, it is no longer an issue.

Nice to see anyway. Thin bezels do look better and don't carry negative sacrifices on usage. 
  • Reply 3 of 6
    socalreysocalrey Posts: 17member
    Fun news, but essentially irrelevant, especially once a case goes on. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 6
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,253member
    A thin bezel introduces usability challenges, especially with a case. Set aside the challenges on creating a cover with a very thin bezel, Apple would need to tweak touch interactions involving the edges of the phone. 
    dewmeDead_Pool
  • Reply 5 of 6
    torb9htorb9h Posts: 14member
    Glad to see I’m not the only one who’s questioning that this is even news. Shaving a couple of millimetres off??? Wouldn’t call them extremely thin, there’s definitely room to go thinner. 
  • Reply 6 of 6
    mobirdmobird Posts: 754member
    Will it be "snappier"? Inquiring minds want to know...