No, Apple hasn't scrapped the 27-inch mini LED display, says Kuo

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited April 2023
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo disagrees with a recent claim that Apple has abandoned its plans for a 27-inch Studio Display, and says it will come in 2024 or 2025, with "high-end" features.

Apple's current Studio Display
Apple's current Studio Display

Kuo's tweet does not refer to Ross Young's insistence that Apple has "killed off the 27" display completely." Young did temper his own comment, describing Apple's move as a pause that is "at least for now."

However, Ming-Chi Kuo has now claimed that Apple has not paused or killed off the display, and instead is aiming to release it in late 2024 or early 2025.

Update on the rumored new 27" Apple display predictions:

1. It's slated for mass production in 2024 or early 2025, boasting all the features one would expect from a high-end monitor.
2. Utilizing mini-LED technology, and the most notable design change is to switch the material

-- (Ming-Chi Kuo) (@mingchikuo)

Kuo's tweet goes on to detail that "most notable design change." He writes that Apple will switch from printed circuit board (PCB) to glass for the mini LED backplane.

"The benefits of adopting a glass backplane include a thinner panel thickness, a narrower bezel, an extended product lifespan, etc," he says.

Apple already uses min LED in certain displays, such as those of the 14-inch MacBook Pro, 16-inch MacBook Pro, and 12.9-inch iPad Pro. The technology gives displays a higher contrast, and generally more vibrant display.

It's been rumored that a 27-inch mini LED display has been in development ever since the launch of the Apple Studio Display in 2022.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Don’t ‘ya just love dueling rumors where you can argue ’til the sun goes down and shit on Apple at the same time.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    There is no dueling ming chi kuo is correct
  • Reply 3 of 12
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    I still don’t understand why this is taking so long. We don’t alway need an iconic product, just a good one.
    nubus
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,082member
    And here’s another rumor. I was speaking to a salesperson at the Apple Store and he said they were already training on the new 27” iMac. I asked him if I heard it right and he confirmed. So there’s another rumor. Maybe I should have Kuo’s job. 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,005member
    mac_dog said:
    And here’s another rumor. I was speaking to a salesperson at the Apple Store and he said they were already training on the new 27” iMac. I asked him if I heard it right and he confirmed. So there’s another rumor. Maybe I should have Kuo’s job. 
    I doubt Apple is training thousands of retailer workers on unannounced products 
    nubusmike1melgrosschasm
  • Reply 6 of 12
    nubusnubus Posts: 553member
    melgross said:
    I still don’t understand why this is taking so long. We don’t alway need an iconic product, just a good one.

The Studio Display is not really a good product. It is just an expensive one. Colors are 8-bit + dithering (no true 10-bit), no Pro Motion refresh, can't fast-charge MBP 16, IPS as display tech, and $2000 if you want to adjust height. The cost of this thing is above iMac 27 with a similar 5k display. Apple removed the Mac from an iMac and increased the price. Somehow it doesn't sell...

Apple should have created a display priced to MBP users. Office users don't want microphones or speakers in "studio" quality - or any other quality. We use headsets. So why pay for it? Adding most of an iPhone 11 as internals... why? The average cost of a 27-30" 4K display is $800. 2.5x the price for 5K is simply not worth it.

With Dell + Samsung launching 5K and 6K displays this quarter... where will Studio Display go?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,982member
    mac_dog said:
    and for exactly the reason the previous member posted: “an Apple retail worker told me…” 

retail workers aren’t entrusted with top secret future hardware knowledge. 
  • Reply 8 of 12
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,982member
    nubus said:
    melgross said:

The Studio Display is not really a good product. It is just an expensive one. Colors are 8-bit + dithering (no true 10-bit), no Pro Motion refresh, can't fast-charge MBP 16, IPS as display tech, and $2000 if you want to adjust height. The cost of this thing is above iMac 27 with a similar 5k display. Apple removed the Mac from an iMac and increased the price. Somehow it doesn't sell...

Apple should have created a display priced to MBP users. Office users don't want microphones or speakers in "studio" quality - or any other quality. We use headsets. So why pay for it? Adding most of an iPhone 11 as internals... why? The average cost of a 27-30" 4K display is $800. 2.5x the price for 5K is simply not worth it.

With Dell + Samsung launching 5K and 6K displays this quarter... where will Studio Display go?
    Who knows if it goes anywhere. It seems like it was a rushed product to fill an experimental gap - like the Mac Studio it launched with. The studio display will likely stick around, slowly gaining tech as an “affordable” Apple monitor option to pair with Mac mini and apple notebooks. The higher resolutions and major tech will probably be reserved for the big iMac and Pro Display. 
  • Reply 9 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,210member
    nubus said:
    melgross said:

So the cheap crowd is going to buy a 5K and 6K Dell and Samsung displays with all the people bellyaching about Apples 5K display which Ccurrently happens to be the only display of its type on the market since LG canceled their 5K monitor that makes no sense.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    danox said:
    nubus said:
    melgross said:

So the cheap crowd is going to buy a 5K and 6K Dell and Samsung displays with all the people bellyaching about Apples 5K display which Ccurrently happens to be the only display of its type on the market since LG canceled their 5K monitor that makes no sense.
    Yep — people assuming these are going to be cheap are probably in for a reality check — the 5K Samsung looks to be competing with Apple on features (adjustable stand and matte finish are standard), so I’ll bet they will price it at $1299. As for the 6K Dell, it will be cheaper than the Pro Display XDR, but not cheap. I’ll guess at least $2999.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    nubus said:
    melgross said:

I have that display, and I beg to differ. It is a very good display. Apparently, you do t have one.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    mac_dog said:
    and for exactly the reason the previous member posted: “an Apple retail worker told me…” 

retail workers aren’t entrusted with top secret future hardware knowledge. 
    Actually, we know that right before a new product appears, retail does get that product for training. It happened many times in the last, and will happen again. In this case?