Plugable's new hub takes both MacBook USB-C ports in exchange for USB-A and HDMI

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited April 2023
Accessory maker Plugable has released a new low-cost and compact USB-C hub for MacBook Air or MacBook Pro owners to expand the selection of USB ports, and support an external display with HDMI.

New Plugable hub
New Plugable hub

The hub extends a person's workspace with ports for Gigabit Ethernet, audio, USB-A, and USB-C. It can also add an additional display to a MacBook.

Two USB-C male connectors slide into the ports on new MacBooks, and it has a cutout so that users can also connect the MagSafe charger. The five ports on the dock include two for USB-A 3.0 with up to 5 gigabit per second speeds, a passthrough USB 4 port at up to 40 gigabits per second, one Gigabit Ethernet, and a 3.5mm jack for audio input and output.

The USB-C port lets people add an external display up to 6K at 60Hz. External display support is subject to various restrictions.

The port also has up to 100W of pass-through charging for iPhones, iPads, and other devices.

It has a cutout to fit the MagSafe charging cable
It has a cutout to fit the MagSafe charging cable

An M1 chip can manage a single external display attached through USB-C on a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. The Mac mini supports one HDMI and one USB-C monitor.

Pricing & Availability

The Plugable 5-in-1 USB-C hub is available on Amazon for $32.95.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    I've gone 100% USB-C and HMDI for my monitor since it's already on my MBP. But in the end, I'm don't bother to buy anything else and avoid all legacy connectors. Why bother. I do keep a small legacy hub in my to go bag for the occasions I need a legacy port.
    grayskyz
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    My initial feeling about this adapter was “Why would you give up a TB port for USB-A and HDMI?” However, the most compelling benefits of this adapter in my opinion are the Ethernet port, compact size, and the price. If you carry your MacBook Pro between in-office and remote office being able to plug into a secondary external monitor using HDMI and the corporate network using wired Ethernet makes it a decent docking solution on the cheap, at least for some common use cases.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Where is the HDMI port?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 192member
    tjohns34 said:
    Where is the HDMI port?
    On the side of the device/ back of the MacBook
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    tjohns34 said:
    Where is the HDMI port?
    Good catch. I thought one of the rectangular holes might be HDMI but it’s a second USB-A. Not so. The Ethernet port still makes this compelling for the modest needs of what a $32 mini dock offers, considering Apple charges nearly that much for their TB to Ethernet adapter. 
    edited April 2023
  • Reply 6 of 7
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Does it really have ethernet?  It sure looks like an ethernet port and I don't see an HDMI port.  Horrible pictures!

EDIT - so I visited the Amazon link, which the reviewer obviously didn't.  It doesn't have HDMI after all - but instead ethernet!  Hopefully the very misleading title and article can be updated.
    edited April 2023
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I've gone 100% USB-C and HMDI for my monitor since it's already on my MBP. But in the end, I'm don't bother to buy anything else and avoid all legacy connectors. Why bother. I do keep a small legacy hub in my to go bag for the occasions I need a legacy port.
    Same, I only buy USB4 or TB3 cables and products now. All my legacy stuff that has old USB 3.0 3.1 3.2 removelable cables  are now USBC. Spent around 30 bucks on cables so I never have to think about it again. It's my livelyhood so I'm not wasting time on old tech.