New AirPods Firmware update returns after Apple error [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2023
Apple briefly released a firmware update for AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max but pulled the update soon after. It is available again.

Apple updates AirPods firmware
Apple updates AirPods firmware

Devices that can install the update include AirPods second and third generations, the first and second generations of AirPods Pro, and the AirPods Max. The new version number is 5E133, up from 5B59 that Apple released in January.

The update was only released for about an hour before it was pulled. Instead of providing the actual update link for the AirPods to follow, Apple published a link to an internal system that would return an error to the AirPods attempting to update.

The update is available again, though users need not take any action. There isn't a mechanism to install the AirPods firmware manually.

Apple doesn't provide detailed release notes for the firmware update, but they generally fix bugs and enhance performance. There was no indication of any feature changes to the AirPods.

The update is now live again and it works this time https://t.co/BUnuUtJ2EW

— Aaron (@aaronp613)

How to check AirPods firmware version

However, it is possible to check the current firmware version.

1. Open the Settings App.

2. Select General.

3. Select About.

4. Select the AirPods currently connected to the device.

5. A menu that shows relevant device information, including the firmware version, will appear.

New firmware versions will be installed at some point when AirPods have connected to an iPhone via Bluetooth.

Update at 4:50 p.m. EST: Apple pulled the update after discovering the error. No updates took place because the link to the actual update was never provided.

Update at 9:30 p.m. EST: Apple has restored the AirPods firmware update.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Hope this fixes my Airpods Pro 2 case battery life.  The thing drains from full to empty in about a week just sitting on the counter unused.  
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    Pulled … which explains why going through the regular actions that trigger an update did not work. 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Hope this fixes my Airpods Pro 2 case battery life.  The thing drains from full to empty in about a week just sitting on the counter unused.  
    Do you think there is something that needs fixing? Mine has the exact same behaviour...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Create a script that switches off “Find My” when you leave it any extended time at home and on the counter. Then back on when you leave home. That should extend the battery life.