Apple finally launches high-yield Apple Savings account

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2023
Months after its first announcement, Apple Savings is now available to Apple Card users, with users able to route Daily Cash rewards into a new 4.15% high-yield savings account.

Source: Apple
Source: Apple

"Savings helps our users get even more value out of their favorite Apple Card benefit -- Daily Cash -- while providing them with an easy way to save money every day," said Jennifer Bailey, Apple's vice president of Apple Pay and Apple Wallet, in a statement. "Our goal is to build tools that help users lead healthier financial lives, and building Savings into Apple Card in Wallet enables them to spend, send, and save Daily Cash directly and seamlessly -- all from one place."

Apple says that the 4.15% APY rate is "more than 10 times the national average." The company also says that Apple Savings has "no fees, no minimum deposits, and no minimum balance requirements."

In a recent survey, Fortune magazine reported that the US national average is 0.37% APY (Annual Percentage Yield). However, it also recommended ten savings accounts, every one of which offers more than Apple.

Those range from LendingClub with 4.25% APY, to UFB Direct, with 4.81% APY.

Fortune does also note that APY is not the sole factor in determining the right savings account to invest in. There are also issues to do with minimum deposits, balances, and customer support.

Apple Savings is likely to prove particularly strong on customer support, because it launches with a Savings dashboard in the Wallet app. Apple says that this means users "can conveniently track their account balance and interest earned over time."

The launch of Apple Savings comes after an announcement in October 2022, and then mostly silence since. A line about Apple Savings was added to the Apple Card terms and conditions in early March 2023, then most recently code showing the backend service was live, was spotted.

Long-awaited savings option

It's not clear why the service launched so long after announcement, but it's possible that it is because the finances are being serviced by Goldman Sachs, Apple's partner in the Apple Card. Despite the apparent success of Apple Card, Goldman Sachs posted a $1.2 billion loss, which was attributed in part to its consumer offerings such as that with Apple.

Consequently, Goldman Sachs recently pulled out of doing any other consumer credit card. Alongside that, the Federal Reserve opened an investigation into whether Goldman Sachs's consumer credit division has sufficient consumer protections.

Now that Apple Savings is here, it's intended that users will set it up once and then not have to deal with it until they choose to.

Apple Card users continue to get rewards as a percentage of their purchasing, and they can continue to have that go into their existing Daily Cash account. However, if they choose to, those payments can instead go into the new high-yield savings account.

Users will also be able to deposit additional funds into the Apple Savings account through a linked bank account, or from their Apple Cash balance. There's no limit on how much Daily Cash can be earned and saved, plus users can elect to switch off the automatic payment into their Apple Savings account at any time.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    Is it insured by FDIC?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 43
    PancakePancake Posts: 42member
    Is it insured by FDIC?
    Yes
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 43
    Just keep in mind that every bank can change the interest rate at any time for any reason. It's not going to suddenly drop down to the horrible rates that banks like Bank of America or Wells Fargo offer for savings accounts, but it can/will change over time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 43
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 814member
    Been trying to open an account but set up Savings Account option is not available yet in the wallet app.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 43
    MadbumMadbum Posts: 536member
    Anyone able to set up yet? I’m not seeing the set up option.
    mystigowatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 43
    MadtigerMadtiger Posts: 240member
    Wonder if that rate is FIXED or variable??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 43
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 814member
    Just called Goldman, it goes line at noon EST. Also found out that yout automatically get enrolled if you have the Apple credit card, Apple Wallet > tap Apple Credit Card > tap ellipsis icon > set up savings.
    Madtigerneilmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 43
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    You need iOS 16.4 and its accessed through the Daily Cash option in the AppleCard "three dot" menu.
    Madtigerrob53watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 43
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    Now I would like to see Apple Card in the UK! Apple clearly are willing to provide rates linked to SOFR rate of 4.8% instead of fleecing the customer. If they offered the same in the UK they would pay around 3.5% based on SONIA of 4.15%, which is a lot better than the 1.2% that the banks pay.
    appleinsideruserlolliverbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 43
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    While I've found savings accounts with improved APR recently, nearly all new accounts offer a sign up bonus. Admittedly, the initial deposit for the bonus (that you will get a -1099 for along with your interest) is not a trivial/small amount. Sort of curious if Apple/GS will offer such a thing in the future. 

This could be a handy alternative. The price is certainly right (i.e. free.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 43
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    mystigo said:
    You need iOS 16.4 and its accessed through the Daily Cash option in the AppleCard "three dot" menu.
    For those who need expanded steps on finding it (like me):

1. Open Apple credit card in wallet.
    2. Click on circle with 3 dots in it.
    3. Click on Daily Cash
    4. Scroll down to Daily Cash Election, click on Set Up next to Savings.
    5. Read the not so fine print (4.07% interest rate as of today (so, yes, it will change daily) then press Continue.
    6. oops! It actually went into Confirming my info, not saying to wait a bit.

---
    7. After adding my SSN, then pressing Next it still says service unavailable. I'll wait for an hour. 

Since this goes through Goldman Sachs, it probably is a good idea to do some research on their interest history. The iOS app store has plenty of Goldman Sachs apps but going to their website doesn't really get me anywhere. Since we are given a savings account at GS, there has to be a way to monitor this account outside of the Apple Card account. Ideas??
    edited April 2023 mike1emoellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 43
    rob53 said:
    mystigo said:
    For those who need expanded steps on finding it (like me):

1. Open Apple credit card in wallet.
    2. Click on circle with 3 dots in it.
    3. Click on Daily Cash
    4. Scroll down to Daily Cash Election, click on Set Up next to Savings.
    5. Read the not so fine print (4.07% interest rate as of today (so, yes, it will change daily) then press Continue.
    6. oops! It actually went into Confirming my info, not saying to wait a bit.

If you are not seeing the option, reboot your phone.  I'm running 16.4.1 and was initially thinking that Apple might be doing a slow roll-out, but thought I'd try a reboot.  Sure enough, the Savings option appeared after it booted back up.

(Edit:  Also, it seems that GS is was not prepared for Apple users voracious appetite for all new Apple things.  Getting Savings Unavailable multiple times while moving through the process.  Either keep clicking Next or wait a couple days for the initial rush to subside.)
    edited April 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 43
    JP234 said:
    An Apple branded savings account is just a savings account. The only reason I have a bank savings account is for the discount on our safe deposit box, and free services like counting our coins, cashing checks from Facebook, Honda and other settlements, and notary public service. I fail to see how that would be implemented by an Apple online savings account.
    What is YOUR savings account rate?
    appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 43
    1. Interest Rate: 4.07%. Rates as of April 17, 2023. Annual Percentage Yield (APY) and interest rate are variable and may change at any time. $250,000 balance limit applies.

2. Apple Cash services are provided by Green Dot Bank. Member FDIC. 

Apple Card and Savings are issued and provided by Goldman Sachs Bank USA, Salt Lake City Branch. Member FDIC.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 43
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    Success!

My Apple Cash is automatically transferred into saving account. Had to answer a few IRS type questions and it's up and running. I can easily transfer money from my credit union, which isn't giving me much interest at all.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 43
    JP234 said:
    An Apple branded savings account is just a savings account. The only reason I have a bank savings account is for the discount on our safe deposit box, and free services like counting our coins, cashing checks from Facebook, Honda and other settlements, and notary public service. I fail to see how that would be implemented by an Apple online savings account.
    Awesome. If it doesn’t work for you then you shouldn’t use it. There are a variety of financial instruments  because people have a variety of needs. 
    williamlondonSpitbathlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Just set it up and transfer money. Already took three minutes.

Pretty awesome by Apple
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 43
    jamnapjamnap Posts: 89member
    Article is missing many details as noted by many here: variable APY, FDIC, set up .  I will note that I have a HYS already with GS with a 3.85% APY.  So I may move those funds to Apple Savings offering 4.15% APY.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 43
    JP234 said:
    Your choice. I can do all that with my bank and still earn 4+ percent with super safe Goldman, Apple and FDIC, what is it to like.

all you need to do is link your current savings account  that you love and just move anything you don’t need to meet the minimum for the services you describe at the other bank and earn more money!

injust Finish setting it up, Apple and Goldman made this completely seamless .
    edited April 2023 williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Very poor offering. There are dozens of other HYSA that offer more than 4.15%
    williamlondon