iPhone 15 Pro: All the rumors, and what it will look like

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2023
Apple's iPhone 15 Pro is the smaller of the two premium models, but it'll have the same titanium sides, USB-C port, and a programmable mute button when it launches in September. Here are all the rumors so far.

iPhone 15 Pro
iPhone 15 Pro

Apple has kept the features between the 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch pro models identical for a few generations now. However, with the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max, it seems there will be some exclusive features reserved for the larger device.

The rumor cycle has been in relative chaos for the first quarter of 2023, but things will begin to solidify as we approach the September launch. This update appears to be quite extensive, thanks to new materials, a port change, and a mute button.

{"@context":"https://schema.org/","@type":"VideoObject","name":"Is THIS iPhone 15 Ultra!?","description":"Here is a look at what the iPhone 15 Ultra or iPhone 15 Pro Max may look like based on leaked CAD images that we've used to create full 3D renders of Apple's upcoming flagship smartphone expected to be released this fall!","thumbnailUrl":"https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sxilQh1sK5k/sddefault.jpg","uploadDate":"2023-03-01T19:40:23Z","duration":"PT6M23S","embedUrl":""}

Watch our video on iPhone 15 Ultra. Many of these features apply to both models.

iPhone 15 Pro design rumors

If you saw AppleInsider's renders for the iPhone 15 Pro Max, there won't be many differences for the iPhone 15 Pro. It is expected to have the same curved titanium sides, new curved edge display cover, and a USB-C port.

What's more interesting is what it may lack. The smaller iPhone isn't expected to get the new periscope zoom camera or a second selfie camera.

A slight curve in the titanium edge is expected
A slight curve in the titanium edge is expected

The display bezels are rumored to shrink again, and the iPhone 15 Pro Max may have the thinnest bezel in a smartphone to date. The iPhone 15 Pro will have thinner bezels too, and a slight curve is expected on the edge of the glass midway into the bezel.

Speaking of displays, even though the Dynamic Island is expected to make it to every iPhone 15 model, some display technology will remain exclusive to the pros. ProMotion and always-on display technology will be pro-only for at least another year.

The new iPhone color is expected to be deep red, as is shown in one of our images. The other regular colors will return -- space black, silver, and gold.

The rumored design language isn't a big shift, but it is noticeable
The rumored design language isn't a big shift, but it is noticeable

Since the edge is titanium instead of stainless steel, it could have a different finish and anodization process for color. Apple has avoided striking colors for the iPhone Pro in the past, but the new materials may allow improved saturation.

iPhone 15 Pro USB-C port

Apple is rumored to finally be moving to USB-C, whether it is ready or not. EU regulations will force companies like Apple to include USB-C in products like iPhone by 2024.

This move has prompted Apple to begin transitioning to USB-C in other products. It isn't clear how Apple will implement USB-C in iPhone, but a few rumors are flying around.

First, Apple could adopt the Thunderbolt protocol for the iPhone. It uses the same USB-C connector but offers a high-speed 40 Gbps data connection.

Current iPhones are capable of shooting ProRes video, which generates giant files that aren't easy to get off of the device. A Thunderbolt connection would provide pro users an incredible 80x increase in data transfer speeds for offloading those files.

USB-C or Thunderbolt, either way it will require MFi to unlock its potential
USB-C or Thunderbolt, either way it will require MFi to unlock its potential

Another set of rumors surrounding USB-C tells a less optimistic story. Apple could continue to enforce the Made For iPhone (MFi) program on USB-C.

It isn't clear what shape this would take, as iPad Pro and MacBooks both have USB-C ports with no MFi program. Notable leakers like ShrimpApplePro and Ming-Chi Kuo suggest Apple would limit the charging and data transfer speeds of the port if a certified cable isn't in use.

It may not be important to some consumers, but pro users who rely on those increased speeds must be careful about which cables they purchase and use. Kuo has even mentioned that Apple's 20W USB-C charger could see a spike in sales as a result, despite being the worst-value product that Apple offers.

iPhone 15 Pro button "controversy"

In October 2022, Ming-Chi Kuo shared that iPhone 15 Pro would get solid-state buttons instead of ones that physically depress. Little new information was shared about this specific feature until March.

The new mute button may be programmable
The new mute button may be programmable

That's when a range of rumors from different sources began to pour in. As of today, rumors say Apple has abandoned the concept and reverted to the previous button design, except the mute switch will now be a button.

To summarize, from March to April, the rumor cycle went from confirmed long buttons with gestures to returning to the original buttons. It seems, at least for a time, that Apple was developing solid-state buttons for the sleep/wake button, a combined volume button, and a new mute button.

This all apparently happened so close together because of delayed reporting from the supply chain. Ming-Chi Kuo noted that the solid-state buttons were being produced for testing until Apple abandoned the concept due to technical issues.

Apple reportedly abandoned haptic buttons and reverted to the classic design
Apple reportedly abandoned haptic buttons and reverted to the classic design

Kuo's history and connection to the supply chain are strong enough to assume this is correct. Though, some other leakers continued to contest these claims, suggesting solid-state buttons would still come.

AppleInsider has been watching the new leaker @analyst941, which has shared a couple of accurate leaks before about Dynamic Island privacy dots and it's single pill shape. The leaker surfaced again to share a list of supposed iOS 17 features and declare solid-state buttons were still happening.

This leaker became aggressive in their assertions, even challenging Bloomberg journalist and leaker Mark Gurman to contradict the leaks. Gurman later tweeted that many of the leaks shared by @analyst941 were not true.

A move from mute switch to mute button could be contentious
A move from mute switch to mute button could be contentious

At this point, anything is possible. But, multiple leakers with long and accurate histories state the old button design is returning with no haptic feature. A tweet from @Unknownz21 says a mute button will replace the mute switch with customizable actions.

More evidence from reliable sources suggests the mute button design is accurate, and perhaps it will act as a programmable "Action Button" similar to Apple Watch Ultra. This kind of integration would be a boon for power users, especially those who take advantage of Shortcuts.

September will show who was right and who has less reliable intel. Our renders reflect the classic physical buttons and mute button rumors.

iPhone 15 Pro A17 and Wi-Fi 6E

Apple is developing its next-generation A17 processor with the 3nm process. This processor will only appear in the iPhone 15 Pro models and is said to include support for Wi-Fi 6E.

This updated processor could be incredibly powerful. Early alleged benchmarks show a 20% jump in single-core performance.

Alleged A17 benchmarks compared to other A-series processors
Alleged A17 benchmarks compared to other A-series processors

The numbers from that leak seem exaggerated at 3,019 for the single-core score and 7,860 for the multi-core score. Even if these prove inaccurate, Apple tends to have at least a 10% jump in performance year-over-year.

Including Wi-Fi 6E won't affect many users at first, but it will mean improved future-proofing for the spec. Implementing the spec at home is expensive, and very few people are likely to have it.

iPhone 15 Pro release date and price

Apple tends to announce new iPhones in September during an Apple Event. Supply chain constraints could cause a staggered release for some models, but they will all be announced on the same day.

iPhone 15 Pro in red, gold, black, and silver
iPhone 15 Pro in red, gold, black, and silver

Some rumors suggest that Apple could increase the price of iPhone 15 Pro and the rest. This is based on the new technologies and materials rumored for the devices.

The iPhone 15 Pro renders were created by Hans.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I think it's a huge shame that they're planning to position the Max model as the premium one with better features other than size.

I'd like the best camera available but have no interest in being upsold some gigantophone that I can't hold. Frankly, I'd still prefer a 'Mini' sized 15 Pro, but they hobbled that from the beginning with lower specs and, unsurprisingly, nobody bought them.

I've had an 11 Pro for 4 years now and looks like I'll have to wait another year if I'm to be allowed to buy a flagship device in a vaguely reasonable size. Unless they do the same next year and stop me buying again.
    retrogustojibwilliamlondontwokatmewbluefire1
  • Reply 2 of 11
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I think it's a huge shame that they're planning to position the Max model as the premium one with better features other than size.

I'd like the best camera available but have no interest in being upsold some gigantophone that I can't hold. Frankly, I'd still prefer a 'Mini' sized 15 Pro, but they hobbled that from the beginning with lower specs and, unsurprisingly, nobody bought them.

I've had an 11 Pro for 4 years now and looks like I'll have to wait another year if I'm to be allowed to buy a flagship device in a vaguely reasonable size. Unless they do the same next year and stop me buying again.
    I agree. I typically get a new iPhone Pro model every year. One year I decided to get the Max, but it was simply too large for my hands and pants pockets. I sincerely hope that Apple doesn’t begin to differentiate between Pro models. People who are willing to pay for a top of the line model shouldn’t have to wind up with a Semi Pro.
    edited April 2023 jibwilliamlondontwokatmew
  • Reply 3 of 11
    rundhvidrundhvid Posts: 124member
    either way it will require MFi to unlock its potential

I’m baffled that AppleInsider doesn’t seem to understand the importance and value of MFi !

—in short, the MFi program is ’s attempt at making sure iPhone users are able to avoid compatibility issues due to cheap accessories, which are advertised as USB X.X compliant, but as a result of the USB-consortiums deliberate certification process, these accessories are truly “spec-compliant”, but deliver nonetheless inferior performance.

And who might the fellas that suffers these totally unnecessary problems direct their anger toward?

it ain’t the no-name manufacturer of the damn cable!

 should be applauded for its MFi initiative.

• Reply 4 of 11
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,250member
    The only important question is: what use-cases will a new iPhone unlock for the end user?

So far I can tell, the only one is the ability to take photos from a far distance using the Pro Max model.

The rest is mainly topics around what kind of button, how fast the chip is, etc. 
    retrogusto
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Dear Apple,

The microscopic added thinness to the majority of the phone is not needed.  The camera has a bump, with a silver bump, and a black lens bump.  I understand needing a camera bump, but 3?  Please just make the phone slightly thicker with a bigger battery and stop adding all of that camera thickness that I need a massively thick case to protect.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 11
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 842member
    The only important question is: what use-cases will a new iPhone unlock for the end user?

So far I can tell, the only one is the ability to take photos from a far distance using the Pro Max model.

The rest is mainly topics around what kind of button, how fast the chip is, etc. 
    I think pros (it is the iPhone Pro, after all) who use their phones in still photography and video work could see a few important benefits if certain rumors pan out:

First, Thunderbolt speeds at the USB port would be a godsend for downloading high rez photos and video shot on the phone. It's painfully slow with Lightning. 

Second, the current 3X optical zoom lens maxes out roughly at a 75mm lens equivalent, which is the bare minimum even for portrait work, and not competitive with the best phone camera zoom lenses out there. I'm not looking for stupid specs like a 100X zoom, but I think getting to 8X max optically would be a nice step up and would give the iPhone Pro an incredibly useful "classic" zoom range of roughly 75-210mm equivalent. 

Third, I haven't seen this rumored, but I would think 8K video would debut on the iPhone 15 Pro. 

I'll be bummed in the new zoom lens is limited to the Pro Max model, since I don't like that form factor, but there may simply not be room for the lens in the Pro model. Apple last did this with 12 Pro series, when the Pro Max had a superior camera system to the regular Pro, which I believe was due to size reasons. 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    M68000M68000 Posts: 728member
    rundhvid said:

I’m baffled that AppleInsider doesn’t seem to understand the importance and value of MFi !

—in short, the MFi program is ’s attempt at making sure iPhone users are able to avoid compatibility issues due to cheap accessories, which are advertised as USB X.X compliant, but as a result of the USB-consortiums deliberate certification process, these accessories are truly “spec-compliant”, but deliver nonetheless inferior performance.

And who might the fellas that suffers these totally unnecessary problems direct their anger toward?

Applauding Apple to me would mean that MFI would not mean a price increase for cables that get this status.  I hope this is more than just clever marketing to sell certain cables.
    williamlondontwokatmew
  • Reply 8 of 11
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    MFi program is more about apple making money. If it was simply about apple protecting its customers, then they wouldn’t be specifically creating an ecosystem that can only be used with there products. Forcing people to buy there cables.  
    rundhvid said:

williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 11
    SIM tray anyone!?!? I mean, those who travel need a SIM tray. I guess that because hardly anyone in the US travels the US version won’t have but for the rest of the world? 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    JohnDinEU said:
    SIM tray anyone!?!? I mean, those who travel need a SIM tray. I guess that because hardly anyone in the US travels the US version won’t have but for the rest of the world? 
    The iPhone already went eSim. You can purchase eSims overseas. 
    williamlondonbshank
  • Reply 11 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    tshapi said:
    MFi program is more about apple making money. If it was simply about apple protecting its customers, then they wouldn’t be specifically creating an ecosystem that can only be used with there products. Forcing people to buy there cables.
    Incorrect. The revenue from cables is a drop in the bucket. MFI is for ensuring quality products, unlike the all the bogus chargers we learned years back have crap electronics and missing safety features. 

You’ve never been forced to buy their cablea.
    edited April 2023 muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondoncharlesntwokatmewbshank