Apple supplier Quanta pours $120M into Vietnam factory to try to catch MacBook orders

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2023
Quanta has become the latest Apple supplier to heavily invest in production in Vietnam, agreeing with a provincial government to build a $120 million plant facility.

An M2 14-inch MacBook Pro
An M2 14-inch MacBook Pro

In December, reports claimed Apple was preparing to move some MacBook Pro production to Vietnam. After moves by Foxconn and BOE for their own manufacturing efforts, Quanta is joining the rest of the pack with its own initiative.

Quanta signed an agreement with the authorities of Nam Dinh province on Friday, reports Reuters to set up the factory in northern Vietnam. The project, which is expected to cost $120 million, will be built in the My Thuan Industrial Park, occupying 22.5 hectares of land.

Details about when the factory will expect to open, as well as the potential production lines, were not announced as part of the signing or a governmental statement. Considering Apple's wish to expand Vietnamese production, as well as other supply chain members efforts, it seems highly likely that it will be used for Apple production purposes.

After announcing a $300 million investment in North Vietnam in August 2022, Foxconn signed a new lease in February 2023, renting a plot of 111 acres for approximately $62.5 million until 2057.

Meanwhile in January, display maker BOE was working to rent dozens of hectares of land as part of a $400 million investment.

The newly signed-for facility will be the ninth factory for Quanta in the world.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I believe that Quanta is Taiwanese and BOE is Chinese. It makes total sense for Taiwanese companies to branch out to other countries. As an Apple supplier, it also makes sense that BOE also has facilities outside of China. However, I hope that Apple chooses non Chinese suppliers in the future. I feel very strongly that all American companies should consider divesting from China. China is not our friend.
    watto_cobranubus
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I believe that Quanta is Taiwanese and BOE is Chinese. It makes total sense for Taiwanese companies to branch out to other countries. As an Apple supplier, it also makes sense that BOE also has facilities outside of China. However, I hope that Apple chooses non Chinese suppliers in the future. I feel very strongly that all American companies should consider divesting from China. China is not our friend.
    Are you fake? LOL
  • Reply 3 of 13
    chutzpahchutzpah Posts: 392member
    Are you fake? LOL
    Are you? LOL
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    chutzpah said:
    Are you fake? LOL
    Are you? LOL
    I am the truth. LOL
  • Reply 5 of 13
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    I am the light.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    chutzpah said:
    Are you fake? LOL
    Are you? LOL
    I am the truth. LOL
    Double truth this time?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    People seem to forget that the real enemy of our Capitalist society is the Communists, not just the CCP. Shifting from one Communist regime to another is not an answer to this idloglical devide 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    chutzpah said:
    chutzpah said:
    Are you fake? LOL
    Are you? LOL
    I am the truth. LOL
    Double truth this time?
    Not me. I buy Apple products made in China. 
  • Reply 9 of 13
    People seem to forget that the real enemy of our Capitalist society is the Communists, not just the CCP. Shifting from one Communist regime to another is not an answer to this idloglical devide 
    Wrong. Our enemy should not be Communists. Why, exactly? Communism would be the opposite of Capitalism. With Communism, the state controls all businesses and there is no free enterprise. This does not accurately describe China or Vietnam. They both have Capitalism, Free Enterprise, Private Businesses, Private Property, etc. They are basically Communist in name only. The reason why China is a threat is because they have been stealing our Intellectual Property for decades and will become the dominate economic force in the world. They will overtake the U.S. it’s a fact. With all of this economic power, they have been steadily building up their military and will eventually at some point be the dominate military power. This will happen due to their population size after many decades of the West building them up economically. 

The reason why this is bad is because they are an Authoritarian country, and not a Democracy. If the UK or France were the dominate world power, then I wouldn’t be so worried. But China as the world power is very worrisome in my opinion. I feel like we made a huge mistake in building up China. Whether or not a country is Communist or Capitalist isn’t so important in my opinion. I don’t know why that would matter. What matters to me is whether the country is Authoritarian or a Democracy.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    Wrong. Our enemy should not be Communists. Why, exactly? Communism would be the opposite of Capitalism. With Communism, the state controls all businesses and there is no free enterprise. This does not accurately describe China or Vietnam. They both have Capitalism, Free Enterprise, Private Businesses, Private Property, etc. They are basically Communist in name only. The reason why China is a threat is because they have been stealing our Intellectual Property for decades and will become the dominate economic force in the world. They will overtake the U.S. it’s a fact. With all of this economic power, they have been steadily building up their military and will eventually at some point be the dominate military power. This will happen due to their population size after many decades of the West building them up economically. 

The reason why this is bad is because they are an Authoritarian country, and not a Democracy. If the UK or France were the dominate world power, then I wouldn’t be so worried. But China as the world power is very worrisome in my opinion. I feel like we made a huge mistake in building up China. Whether or not a country is Communist or Capitalist isn’t so important in my opinion. I don’t know why that would matter. What matters to me is whether the country is Authoritarian or a Democracy.
    When you were in school you were stealing intellectual property created by others for decades. LOL
  • Reply 11 of 13
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,452member
    LOL what decade is this? 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Most likely, after a few more years of manufacturing moving to Vietnam, we will see movement to Africa, which has lower cost labor than China, India or Vietnam.  The manufacturing that has returned to US has mostly been accompanied by massive automation, and relatively few employees.  US workers and managers are not competitive without massive automation to reduce their numbers.  Some CEOs in US earn 7,000 times more than shop floor workers, and 1,000 times more than their counterparts in China, India and Vietnam.  Honeywell and Rockwell Automation are heavily into sales of plant automation (with massive reductions in shop floor and shipping personnel).  

Political leaders in both Russia and China want their countries to stop buying US, UK and EU technology (think Microsoft, Apple, Google, GE, RTX, Rolls Royce, Boeing, Airbus, Dell and HP) over the next few years, and replace it with home grown alternatives.  It is my understanding they have started the phase-out with government entities.  I understand that China and the Saudis are now trading oil outside of the former dollar exchange method.  Oil sales from Russia to China have also ditched the petrodollar system.  
    edited April 2023
  • Reply 13 of 13
    No no no, the real enemy is the boogeyman.  If only we could find him, we might find out why.