Lock screen, Apple Music changes now expected for iOS 17

Posted:
in iOS edited April 2023
Apple will be making more changes to the lock screen in iOS 17, a leaker claims, including showing lyrics for songs playing on Apple Music.

The lock screen became more customizable in iOS 16.
The lock screen became more customizable in iOS 16.

Apple is anticipated to show off its next operating system update, iOS 17, during WWDC on June 5, and the rumor mill is already churning about what Apple will introduce. In a Tuesday social media posting, one leaker offers that more changes could be made to the lock screen.

According to a Weibo leaker, Apple's changes will include new lock screen settings, such as a font size adjustment, emoji wallpaper, and other functions. It will also apparently be possible to share the lock screen presets with others.

Apple Music will have one lock screen-specific change, namely enabling support to display lyrics on the screen. Apple Music will also gain a simplified user interface, with less text and more graphics.

Among the other outlined changes, the Control Center UI will be updated, the App Library will have renameable folders, and the flashlight brightness slider will be considerably more adjustable.

The leaker is fairly believable, as they have a short but good track record. The same account revealed details about a yellow variant of the iPhone 14, ahead of its release.

Earlier rumors include Apple laying the groundwork for sideloading apps in the release, changes to Wallet and Find My, more Focus Mode filters, alterations to notifications, the testing of active widgets, CarKey improvements, and an upgraded search function.

However, it has also been said that Apple isn't preparing to make many major feature changes in the update, with it instead being a quality-of-life and performance improvement release.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    SkepticalSkeptical Posts: 183member
    Another rumor about a meaningless feature. Surprise, surprise. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 17
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,240member
    Concerning the Lock Screen, please put the volume slider back on there. 
    zeus423
  • Reply 3 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    Thinner font weights would be nice to get back. For some reason they bulked up all the lock screen fonts and didn't add an option to put them back. On the iPhone they offer a slightly thinner font option through the lockscreen editor but not on iPad:

The font before looked perfect, now it's Comic Sans level chonky.

They also keep removing the wallpapers. They used to have the one below. On an OLED display, it looks like the flower is blooming turning the display on and they removed it. They can easily leave the old ones as an option when adding new wallpapers.

chadbagmdwychofffastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 17
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Marvin said:

They also keep removing the wallpapers. They used to have the one below. On an OLED display, it looks like the flower is blooming turning the display on and they removed it. They can easily leave the old ones as an option when adding new wallpapers.

Same problem on the watch. I had a specific face I had customized for sleep.  They got rid of the base face I had used and none of the existing or new ones was really appropriate.  They also don’t allow any customizations for the sleep focus screen -- like changing the font to red (less likely to wake you up) or adding a complication— my previous nighttime face was black screen, medium sized time, and small temperature in the corner.   Now I have to use the sleep focus thing with sucky green text and no easy way to do a quick temp check. 

They should arbitrarily remove stuff like screen wallpaper or watch faces on an upgrade.  People are using them.  Upgrades shouldn’t destroy usability.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 17
    longfanglongfang Posts: 443member
    Skeptical said:
    Meaningless for you perhaps. Are you so narcissistic that you believe only you know what is meaningful for everyone?
    williamlondoncdarlington1fastasleepbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 6 of 17
    crogerscrogers Posts: 15member
    I would like the ability to choose a default music app!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 17
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,034member
    The change needed on Apple Music is the ability to make a profile of your musical interests and then see that featured on the home page of music instead of whatever flavor of drivel is being pushed.
    Otherwise make the home page relevant to your interests. At 61, I have no interest in Beyoncé, Justin Bieber of some K-Pop group. 

Garyokezeus423
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Why can I not select what app I want to use, why does Apple think I can’t make that decision, if is arrogant.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 17
    SkepticalSkeptical Posts: 183member
    longfang said:
    Skeptical said:
    Meaningless for you perhaps. Are you so narcissistic that you believe only you know what is meaningful for everyone?
    Snooooooz alert. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Marvin said:
    Thinner font weights would be nice to get back. For some reason they bulked up all the lock screen fonts and didn't add an option to put them back. 
    Apple - Killing off Scott Forstall's pleasing UI iconography and confounding users since 2012.
    zeus423
  • Reply 11 of 17
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,289member
    davgreg said:
    The change needed on Apple Music is the ability to make a profile of your musical interests and then see that featured on the home page of music instead of whatever flavor of drivel is being pushed.
    Otherwise make the home page relevant to your interests. At 61, I have no interest in Beyoncé, Justin Bieber of some K-Pop group. 

What has your age got to do with musical tastes? I’m 73 and love many modern artists and musical genres. Open your eyes and ears to change. 
    One can like a lot of modern music and still find Beyoncé, Justin Bieber of some K-Pop to sugary for their tastes. 
    Hence the need for profiles that will surface modern music of the same taste profile not just music the label has repurchases a lot of sales of it appears popular. 
    edited April 2023
  • Reply 12 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,398member
    davgreg said:
    User error. That's literally what the Listen Now tab is for. Mine is full of stations, playlists, new music from artists I like, artists similar to what I like, genres I like, etc. If you're not seeing that, then you're not using Music properly by using Love/Suggest Less, Starring artists you like, so forth — THAT is how you build a profile. 

If "Browse" is what you're referring to, that's meant for discovering all kinds of music across all genres. If you don't like it, don't use it. 
    ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 17
    crogers said:
    Why can I not select what app I want to use, why does Apple think I can’t make that decision, if is arrogant.
    What exactly is Apple preventing you from doing?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 17
    mdwychoff said:
    Marvin said:
    Thinner font weights would be nice to get back. For some reason they bulked up all the lock screen fonts and didn't add an option to put them back. 
    Apple - Killing off Scott Forstall's pleasing UI iconography and confounding users since 2012.
    And thank you, Jony Ive, for that. Good fucking riddance to all that junk.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 17
    A while ago, I found Apple wallpaper that had been removed online. Perhaps you can Google it. I forgot the website but I download them and saved in Photos and then choose them manually.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    crogers said:
    I can’t set a default music app to be Spotify for example, it’s not a massive ask is it?
    muthuk_vanalingamJaphey
  • Reply 17 of 17
    crogers said:
    crogers said:
    I can’t set a default music app to be Spotify for example, it’s not a massive ask is it?
    I guess I don't know what that entails. Default browser means links to websites use that browser. Default mail client means mailto: links go to that mail app. But, music? How does that work? Do you mean deep Siri integration?