Early Apple check signed by Steve Jobs could sell for big money

Posted:
in General Discussion
A check signed by Steve Jobs may be worth thousands more at auction, than what's written on it.

Steve Jobs-signed check [RR Auctions]
Steve Jobs-signed check [RR Auctions]

Lot 192 of RR Auctions' "Fine Autograph and Artifacts Featuring Major Figures of Science and Technology" will be of interest to collectors of items from Apple's history. The lot consists of a check from the "Apple Computer Company" signed by co-founder Steve Jobs.

While auctions of Steve Jobs memorabilia occasionally surface, the lot is unusual in that it is a pristine business check. Filled out in type and signed "steven jobs," the check was made out on 8 July 1976, the year of the company's founding.

Check number 168 is made out to "Crampton, Remke & Miller, INC." and is for the amount of $175. On the rear are associated stamps and notes for processing the payment.

It is deemed by the auctioneer to be in "fine to very fine condition," and has been pre-certified by PSA/DNA.

The auction is set to end on May 11. At the time of publication, it had a top bid of $16,500, with an estimated final valuation in excess of $25,000.

Other Jobs-related auctions include a hand-numbered Apple-I in December 2022, and a signed letter in the same month. Other similar items went on sale in February 2023.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    How do people still have a cheque sitting around? Does the bank hand them back?

(note query from someone who probably hasn’t processed a cheque in a decade. So go easy).

that certainly looks in mint condition.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    MustSeeUHDTVMustSeeUHDTV Posts: 304member
    entropys said:

(note query from someone who probably hasn’t processed a cheque in a decade. So go easy).

Yes, banks used to sent checks back to the person or company that wrote the check after they have been deposited/cashed, so someone at Apple must have held onto it.

Banks shred them now and show a digital image in their statements.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 8
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    entropys said:

Yes, banks used to sent checks back to the person or company that wrote the check after they have been deposited/cashed, so someone at Apple must have held onto it.

People still use checks today? WTF! They shouldn't even be allowed anymore tbh. A very antiquated way of distributing money, and very unsafe as well. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 8
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    HA!   Those are the same checks I used with Wells Fargo in the 80's.  

I still use checks in some cases where cards aren't accepted and I want a record of payment.
    edited May 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member

3 months before I was born. I admire people that can see when something will be valuable in the future.

Look at how the typed text is perfectly above each line, almost as if the cheque's size and layout was designed specifically for typewriters and standard line heights. Genius.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 8
    helloallhelloall Posts: 1member
    entropys said:

And sometimes the paper check does not go all the way back to the bank, much less the Maker. It gets deposited via mobile app or onsite scanner, then held for x amount of time, then destroyed. The MICR is interesting.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    The value of $175 in 1976 dollars is worth $897 today. And if the money had been invested with just 3% interest (compounded monthly) that same $175 would be worth $1650 today in today's dollars. I think a lot of people would take the sure thing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 8
    The value of $175 in 1976 dollars is worth $897 today. And if the money had been invested with just 3% interest (compounded monthly) that same $175 would be worth $1650 today in today's dollars. I think a lot of people would take the sure thing.
    You can see the faint purple imprint of the bank's stamp. So somebody took the money at the time and somebody is now looking for the potential payout in the collectors' market.
    watto_cobra