AirPods, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max updated with new firmware

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple released a new firmware update for the AirPods lineup with unknown bug fixes and other improvements.

New firmware for AirPods has been released
New firmware for AirPods has been released

The update is designated to be for most of the current AirPods lineup, including the AirPods 3, first-generation AirPods Pro, AirPods Pro 2, and AirPods Max. The new version number is 5E135, up from 5B59.

Apple didn't update the original AirPods, which still show version 6.8.8 on the AirPods firmware website.

Apple hasn't provided any detailed release notes for the firmware update. It simply states that it is a "bug fix and other improvements" update.

How to check AirPods firmware version

Apple doesn't provide a way to install new firmware versions for devices such as AirPods directly. However, it is possible to check the current firmware version.

1. Open the Settings App.

2. Select General.

3. Select About.

4. Select the AirPods currently connected to the device.

5. A menu that shows relevant device information, including the firmware version, will appear.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    I know it’s supposed to wait until you’re not wearing them to apply the update, but I definitely experienced the reboot from this update two days ago and wondered if there was an update I hadn’t heard about. 
    watto_cobrabalmattar
  • Reply 2 of 4
    jamnapjamnap Posts: 89member
    This article is confusing since no where does it mention Apple’s recent April 11 firmware release version 5E133 for all Airpods which would be the latest version, not 5B59.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    I’m in Canada and my firmware says 5B58. No update available.
    watto_cobracgWerks
  • Reply 4 of 4
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Scot1 said:
    I’m in Canada and my firmware says 5B58. No update available.
    Hmm, weird, same here (AirPods Pro 1). I tried making the situation ideal for the update, but they don't seem to do it.

Unfortunately (I think today) I'm going to have to get some new ones (AirPods Pro 2). The buzzing in one ear has gotten so bad I can't really deal with it any longer (the clicking, I was trying to deal with). I'm pretty upset with Apple for not supporting their products (mine were manufactured about a month later than their recall cutoff date, but clearly have the same problem) as I'm used to with them. I even spent $30 taking them to an official service center and having them tested (and confirmed to have the issue), but Apple won't budge on replacing them.

I use them enough that they need to be replaced, but they are expensive enough that I'm fairly cheesed off about having to buy another pair when the ones I have are fine if they weren't defective. I'm looking forward to some improved sound quality and better transparency mode (which was already quite good), though.